Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 VR6 Listing on Turns

Hi Gang
    I am wondering if this is an issue I am creating, or if other VR6 owners are experiencing anything similar.

I am noticing that our 2019 VR6 (250 HP Bravo 3 I/O) tends to, at times, list heavily on turns. It's not necessarily happening in an aggressive turn (where I might expect her to tell me I am pushing too hard) but has happened a few times at relatively lower speeds, when a tight turning radius may be needed.

For example, on a tight starboard turn, the port feels like it is tipping way up and giving the sensation the boat is about to capsize onto the starboard side. I find I have to drop out of the turn rapidly and pull the throttle way back to get it to drop back onto a better center of gravity. I am pretty fanatical about balancing my passenger load, so I don't think it's that. And I don't overload the boat either. It's happened with 8 passengers (4 of whom were small females) and it's done it with 3 or 4 passengers.
    I'm in my low 50's and am now focused on hitting 100 so I am not a daredevil pushing a boat past it's limits.

Anyone else experience this? Am I trimming wrong or something? 15 years with a boat and there is always new stuff to learn - so teach me if I am doing something screwy....

Your description is confusing. So the boat sits level, planes level, but when you make a sharp turn, the boats leans sharply into the turn? Does it do it evenly on port and startboard turns, or does it favor one side or the other? What speeds and what RPMs?

As you know, V-hulls tend to lean into turns, especially if starting from a stop or idle speed and accelerating into a turn. Is your prop ventilating?

Comment

I have a VR5 and yes, under certain turn conditions, the boat does lean heavily to one side or another. It is normal for the boat but can be disheartening for (especially) the bow passengers.

If I have to make a substantial hard turn at a speed that causes this, I always proclaim to my passengers to "hang on" as I make the turn.

The Admiral was not really happy the very first time I did it and she now understands it is normal...…......and that I am not being reckless!
      Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
      Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

Originally posted by vr5200 View Post
        The Admiral was not really happy the very first time I did it and she now understands it is normal...…......and that I am not being reckless!

I have dealt with that "feedback" as well!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 6104696 View Post
          Your description is confusing. So the boat sits level, planes level, but when you make a sharp turn, the boats leans sharply into the turn? Does it do it evenly on port and startboard turns, or does it favor one side or the other? What speeds and what RPMs?
          It sits level, planes level, and otherwise handles nominally, but when I bite into a turn (beyond an otherwise graceful bend), it gives an exaggerated listing that gives you a panicked feeling you won't be able to rein it in if you don't drop off speed and shallow out of the turn rapidly. There's no particular RPM. Speed wise, I haven't really cataloged it, but generally if the turn is above, say, 25-ish? No prop ventilation. It's just an almost sudden sense "we're tipping over." It's really alarming.

I know V-hulls do tend to have an exaggerated reaction to broadside wind, but I never had this on my 195 V-hull. I've wondered if it's the broader profile the beam forward design is exposing on the upper hull? Maybe more surface area to catch more of a cross wind pushing the hull up and over more??

It's unsettling.

Comment

No experience on VR boats, but it sounds like it's a design "characteristic" that you just have to deal with. Don't turn as tight, or drop back a bit on the throttle if it is unsettling. It actually sounds like fun to me :-|.

The hull can't really flip itself over this way.....centripetal forces would be pulling the boat the other way, and the prop would ventilate before anything bad could happen, anyway.

Based on what I have seen with the Element hulls, and what I have heard about the VR hulls, hydrodynamics does not seem to be a focus of today hull designers at Bayliner/Brunswick......

Comment

Originally posted by 6104696 View Post
              No experience on VR boats, but it sounds like it's a design "characteristic" that you just have to deal with. Don't turn as tight, or drop back a bit on the throttle if it is unsettling. It actually sounds like fun to me :-|.

The hull can't really flip itself over this way.....centripetal forces would be pulling the boat the other way, and the prop would ventilate before anything bad could happen, anyway.

Based on what I have seen with the Element hulls, and what I have heard about the VR hulls, hydrodynamics does not seem to be a focus of today hull designers at Bayliner/Brunswick......
              Maybe I just need to enjoy the ride!!!

Comment

If any consolation my boat will seem to auger in on a sharper turn under what i would call upper end on the throttle. Similar V hull I believe.....if sitting on turn side you can reach over and drag water with your hand.

it is more fun once comfortable with it but I dont push it too much....i do these turns more often when towing folks and they fall...I want to keep them blocked from other boaters so dont dally getting turned and back to them.

Just be mindful of encountering another boaters wake hitting ya broadside while in the turn....yeah, I've gotten my @ss chewed for it too.
                2008 H210SS Four Winns
                Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
                Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
                Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

Originally posted by TX H210 SS View Post
                  ....yeah, I've gotten my @ss chewed for it too.

Comment

VR5 owner here and after 3 seasons with it I can say it's normal like mentioned before in certain conditions aka speeds. I find it happens more when towing and the rider falls and an aggressive turn is made to retrieve the person in the water a.s.a.p. I've had the few screams from the wife and/or bow passengers now & then but we've come used to it and I am not better able to control my turns. The one things I found with my VR5 is too aggressive turns at mid to slow speeds will cause what feels like the swim platform corner catching water and makes for weird effect. BUT overall I am very pleased with how she rides and handles except for the fact that I think trim tabs would help my situation

Comment

Originally posted by freechip View Post
                      feels like the swim platform corner catching water and makes for weird effect.
                      THAT is interesting - that must be an odd effect! So far, my platform (VR6) rides pretty nicely just above the waterline, even on turns.
                      I have isolated one thing...I've only had this heaving feeling when I have passengers on board (and no, I do not overload my boat...I stay well below the weight max and I always spread them out to distribute weight evenly..and my passnegers hate me for it because I sometimes have to say, "Sorry, Billy, you are NOT sitting next to Timmy...move up - or sit on the dock till we're back."). But, it seems like, maybe the higher placement of the additional beam width further forward toward the bow simply puts more weight higher up AND OUTSIDE the V hull, creating the higher center of gravity and adding to the feeling it's going to tip when it's really just rolling to catch the next set of strakes underneath to bite in harder....

Trim tabs may be a good idea. The VR6 needs a LOT more attention to trim when underway than my old 195 did, that's for sure. Tabs may be a good addition.

Unfortunately, the Fleet Admiral (aka, my wife) thinks I have spent enough for now...all good things to those who wait....

Comment

• RobMick
                        RobMick commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Take the Admiral out on a choppy day let her fillings fall out...then just go ahead and install the tabs...then head out again...SHE will notice a difference..I couldn’t believe it when my Admiral made a comment that the boat was riding “so much smoother”...I didn’t start the conversation or tell her that I had installed Smart Tabs...she asked the price, I told her and the actual response was “ now that is boat money well spent for a change!”....I couldn’t believe it

GREAT advice!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X