2010 5.0 taping sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 5.0 taping sound

I have a 2010 f19 with a 5.0. I have a taping sound coming from the engine when running. At an idle the noise isnt there. It's not a rod knocking. Didnt do it last year. It had a tune up and an oil change before getting on the water this year. There is no performance problem, just a loud tick or tapping noise. It has a carburetor. Any thoughts?
    thanks for any help

A tapping noise could be too much play in the valve train while ticking could be an exhaust leak.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Can you record the sound or make a video and provide a way for us to listen/view?

Do it at idle, then gently bring the speed up to 1200 rpm, then 1800 rpm and then back to idle.

20-45 seconds would be nice to hear.

Also move the Microphone to 3 locations...……..port side, stbd side, front of engine.

Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
      Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

Ok so I lost both sides exhaust manifold gaskets. The front on the port side and the back on the starboard side. Yay what fun. Can I run it like that or do I need to wait and get it fixed?

Comment

From a safety standpoint there are two issues...……….
          Exhaust fumes possibly making it's way to where people congregate/sit
          Exhaust spark/heat igniting gaseous fumes in the engine compartment

The leak will only get bigger over time.
          Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
          Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

Fix it now; hot exhaust gases and potential to damage exhaust valve from backpressure sucking in air which will raise exhaust temps.
            1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

And exhaust gas or more so the heat from it can burn anything that's in close proximity to it. Rubber hoses, wires etc.
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
              (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
              The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by med382 View Post
                Ok so I lost both sides exhaust manifold gaskets. The front on the port side and the back on the starboard side. Yay what fun. Can I run it like that or do I need to wait and get it fixed?
                and to an untrained ear, the failing exhaust gaskets could have been the "tapping" sound you were hearing when under power.... and the gaskets dont take long or much effort to replace UNLESS a stud should twist off when you are removing them...

NU LIBERTE'
                Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                N2K equipped throughout..
                2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

When you decide to change them...I would hit all the bolts with PB Blaster solvent the day before and let it sit.

if a stud breaks off in head its fixable just added work to get it out. I just changed bolts on my truck because 2 bolts busted off and had to drill and use ease out...not fun and precise task to perform.

Mine sounded like a valve tapping but was exhaust leak.

You can also heat bolts up one at a time before removing which helps..make sure no gas fumes lingering.
                  2008 H210SS Four Winns
                  Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
                  Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
                  Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

Working...
                  X