Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selling 2010 Bayliner 175BR what is floor construction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling 2010 Bayliner 175BR what is floor construction?

We are selling our 2010 Bayliner 175BR, which we have had since new. It's been a great boat with 0 problems. I had a potential buyer asking me about the floor construction. He is worried about the floor rotting. I always assumed the floor was fiberglass but I guess boats have plywood. Can anyone tell me about the floor construction of this boat? Is rot a worry on these boats? It's covered in carpet but seems solid to me. Thanks in advance.

If it has glued in carpet the floor is marine plywood with a layer of resin over it. This is typical construction of most boats with carpet. Also the transom core and stringers have wood core and even boats with a fiberglass deck are built this way. However there is a small percentage of manufactures who no longer use wood.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Here are some thoughts for you and the buyer...……………..

Water damage is aggravated by exposure to the weather.

How was the boat stored? In a garage? With a cover? Did the cover allow water to puddle and then drip for days inside the boat?...……..or were poles/straps used to allow the rain to run off the top?

The "wettest" part of the boat in daily use is the aft area where skiers and swimmers enter and exit the boat via the ladder.

If a boat is left open to the elements the rain water and sun's rays accelerate interior damage.

If stored outside with the plug installed, that allows water to accumulate in the bilge over a multiweek period.

You can test for soft spots by putting all your weight on one foot and try to move the floor. It should be pretty darn stable.

If you have taken decent care of the boat and you have not detected any soft spots, the boat is most likely ok.

It will then be up to the new owner to properly take care of the boat while he owns it.
      Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
      Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

Thanks for the comments so far.

The boat was moored in a dock slip for about 6 of the 10 years we have owned it, other years in was in and out but used a bit less. It has a mooring cover with poles, we have a short season here, so it was like that depending on the year from late May to about October. It was never left uncovered. The cover was RnR'ed over the years with new water proofing. I also actually had the cover "tightened up" one time because water had started to pool in the back corner of the cover.

Winter the boat was professionally wrapped with shrink and desiccant but stored outside. I never opened it up to find any type of dampness in the spring. Though that's not to say it never happened. Our winters are cold so its pretty much frozen from November to March.

The visible part of the interior is mint. I would say it's almost brand new inside. The floor seems solid but I will jump around in there a bit to see.

I think we took great care of it. I didn't even run it WOT very often. Mostly just a nice cruise at 3000rpm.

The only thing I didn't really do is waxing so there is a little bit of chalking on the parts the mooring cover didn't cover.

It also never came from the factory with a hour meter. I meant to put one in but never did. I regret that now because everyone is asking. Saying that with our short season and our activities which mostly consisted of going to the other end of the lake, anchoring and relaxing I guesstimate it's between 150 and 200 hours max. But without a hour meter it's still just a educated guess.

Comment

Your story reflects good long term care and concern for your boat......…….. keeping it in as good a shape as possible.
          Hopefully there are no hidden issues.
          Best of luck to you and the buyer.
          Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
          Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

Working...
          X