Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Youngsters and their first boat (they bought a wrecked one)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youngsters and their first boat (they bought a wrecked one)

I stumbled across this. Apparently these are car guys...…. but bought a boat.

When you are young, you feel like you can conquer anything!

You may want to skip ahead to the 5 minute mark to start the "meat" of the boat story.
    After part 1, there is part 2.

These guys actually did OK at the auction and the boat has a promising future. It's even a V8!

So sit back and enjoy the story as we follow along while these 2 guys get introduced to the world of boating.

It may have you reflecting on things we did while young, that we would never do now.

The safety issues, the mechanical abuse, the apparent lack of life jackets...............all for your viewing enjoyment.

Oh...……….and that is a nice river to cruise on. I have been there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw2tFDteImo
    Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
    Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

$1500 for that boat is a massive deal!
    Terry
    1999 Bayliner 3388
    Twin Cummins 4BTA
    Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
    Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

Sketchy!
      Ted G
      The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
      Designers Edition
      Mercury 350 Mag
      290 Volvo DP

Comment

There are several times you want to tell them things so bad...they made a good purchase for sure.

Very industrious youngsters and anxious to follow their progress. I imagine they're doing research to get things right.
        2008 H210SS Four Winns
        Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
        Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
        Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

I'm 61. When I was 14, my (still) best friend and I bought a 14' runabout for $300, not trailer. It had been on the bottom of Bellingham bay, holed and salted. We found an 85HP evenrude outboard that has also been in the water, but not salt. $300. We patched the hole with mat and glass (there are still resin buttons on the garage floor, even today) We sewed up some skins for the seats. Dad was an upholsterer, but would not help. Smart Dad, they looked like hell, but were ours. We tried to mount the 85 to the 14, but found we were missing some brackets. A nice local marine mechanic took us under his arms and sold us some brackets cheap and screwed them to the transom. Our first voyage was 'bow high and not on plane' Shocking, I know. The same marine mech listened to our sad story and gave us some fresh jets for the engine. This thing then ran like a bat out of hell. Since we had no trailer, we conned (again, generosity of an older generation watching dumshit kids trying to be boaters) a lake marina owner to squeeze us into an unusable (to him) spot in his marina. We put that boat on a flat bed trailer and our parents backed the flatbed into the lake and floated it off to our lake slip. Like $30/month cach. We had the funnest summers on that boat until we graduated. It was one of the experiences I had as a child that cemented my status as a boater. When I went to college, my friend gave me $300 for my share and I felt like I had made the deal of the century. I ended up doing business with the builders of that boat, and am still friends with their family today.
          I learned a lot about boating and life with that purchase. Don't stop believing.
          Tally and Vicki
          "Wickus" Meridian 341
          MMSI 338014939

Comment

There was a time when I was stationed in Orlando (most of 1981) and the naval base had a lake on it. I was 19 years old.

I could go to school and then ski each afternoon...… almost 7 days a week …….uh...and then I flunked out of the school and had to leave.

I was a car guy, but loved boating.

I sold my hobby car, a 1955 Buick convertible survivor, and bought a 1966 Sportcraft Ski KIng.

I had it for about 2 years before I sold it. My buddies and I went out all the time and really enjoyed it.

I thought mine was pretty cool.....the transom label said max HP was 80, and I had an 85HP Evinrude on it.

Here is a video of the same boat. Same size, same color...…..oh, that color!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0blHSbKK2Mc

Comment

Part 3 just got posted.
              In the first 2 minutes I am already shaking my head......Now I need to catch the last 18 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJnbUMoZxwk

Comment

Here is part 4.
                Only the first 18 minutes cover the boat project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69rsalml_oQ

Comment

Working...
                X