95 bowrider with 4 cyl volvo.. Stalls when at full speed-gctid416604

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

95 bowrider with 4 cyl volvo.. Stalls when at full speed-gctid416604

I picked up the boat a few months ago and this is my first boat... I replaced the floor and some other cosmetics. She starts and idles great. When in neutral it will rev up without any problems. The issue is when I put it in gear and get it up to plane it will start to stall then go up again but not quite as fast as the first time and continue to rev up and down until it completely stalls. :sorrow: It won't completely stall if I back off the throttle. At low speed it will go around everywhere without any issues. Any ideas on where to start would be much appreciated. Thank you for looking

Welcome aboard !

First thing i would do is get a manual for that engine and drive combo.

If your doing the work you need one.

Volvo's are Rick's forte. However: if this were my boat i would pull the plugs read them and perform a compression test write down the numbers now i have a base, and if i had good numbers,do a tune up, clean the fuel system, rebuild the carb., i did that with my used 86' boat i purchased.

May i ask, that engine is a 3.0l gm block ? If yes then get back here with the compression numbers if good we will talk you thru the rest.
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Yes, by 1995 this would be the GM 3.0L engine.

Ditto Cheif on the OEM manual.

From what you describe, and baring no ignition issues, my initial thoughts would be a fuel restriction or fuel starvation.

Begin with the fuel tank pick up tube. See if this is screened at the bottom of the tube.... clear it if need be.

While there, you'll likely have removed the anti-siphon vavle, so check it or replace it.

If you've not replaced the main fuel filter, you may as well do that too.

See if the carburetor is equipped with a small filter just behind the inlet fitting. Replace this as well.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Newbie here and new to boats bu X2 on what Rick said.

1st replace the fuel filter, shake the old one and dump in a container and see what comes out.

Fuel filters are just good insurance against problems.

Could also be low float setting in carb causing it to starve for fuel.

Comment

Thank you for the fast replies.. That is much appreciated. My neighbor has a compression test kit so I will do that and go through the fuel system. It feels similar to a marble getting sucked into the fuel line over and over again till it dies...

Comment

No one knows Volvo's better then Rick but the 3.0l i know inside and out, keep us posted we will get to the bottom of this.

Good luck !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Ok.. So, I pulled the line out of the tank and the screen was clear, the one way valve was good and working properly. I took the fuel pump off completely and there wasn't a filter between the pump and the tank. The filter in the carb was new and free of contaminants. The next thing I will do is the compression test and get a look at the plugs...

Comment

Since you mentioned you took off the fuel pump, i thought i would let you know that my 2005 (which im sure uses the same pump mount) has a water separator built into it. Maybe you should look into replacing your pump with that version or these guys will enlighten us if the thing is a keeper or better replaced with aftermarket.

Comment

Chief Alen wrote:
                  No one knows Volvo's better then Rick but the 3.0l i know inside and out, keep us posted we will get to the bottom of this.
                  Thanks, Chief, but short of how Volvo Penta sets these up (perhaps a change to ignition, etc), a 3.0L is a 3.0L.

speedin27 wrote:
                  Ok.. So, I pulled the line out of the tank and the screen was clear, the one way valve was good and working properly. I took the fuel pump off completely and there wasn't a filter between the pump and the tank. The filter in the carb was new and free of contaminants.

The next thing I will do is the compression test and get a look at the plugs...
                  Your main fuel filter may be engine mounted, or remotely mounted.... but it should be schematically between the fuel tank outlet fitting and the fuel pump.

It certainly won't hurt to do the C/T, but if this engine is initially capable of reaching cruising speeds, but then falls flat, I doubt that this is low compression related.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I was debating on getting an electric fuel pump and changing the coil, distributor cap, rotor button and checking the points out as well. Where can I find a good carb rebuild kit? Thanks again

Comment

speedin27 wrote:
                      I was debating on getting an electric fuel pump and changing the coil, distributor cap, rotor button and checking the points out as well. Where can I find a good carb rebuild kit? Thanks again
                      I'd not simply just start throwing parts at this problem.

You'll be a better prepaired boater if you go through a P of E (process of elimination) and find out just what the actual problem is.

We can generally fix anything after having thrown enough parts and money at it..... :thumb ..... but we end up being none the wiser!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Points in a '95 3.0l ?

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Chief Alen wrote:
                          Points in a '95 3.0l ?
                          + a VP engine in a 95 Bayliner?

seems like some info missing from OP

1985 maybe? with an AQ125 or something

Comment

Working...
                          X