Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I forget how to raise the stern drive on my Capri 1750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I forget how to raise the stern drive on my Capri 1750?

Hi everyone,

This is my third season as a boater, all with this 1996 Capri 1750.

Today was the first day on the water this year, but when I went to pull it out, the trim switch stopped, and did not kick into trailer mode. (There's no dock so I had to pull it out with the fin dragging through gravel. Yikes!)

Am I right - is the trim switch and the trailering switch the same one, just keep pushing up? I'm worried I've just missed something.

Thanks for any and all help!

Got a picture of your control ?
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

If you have a trailer switch that is separate from the trim up switch than no they are not the same. The trim up switch is limited in its up travel by a trim limit switch to prevent the prop from being raise out of the water while operating the boat. The trailer switch bypasses the limit switch to raise the drive all the way up. Fortunately you hit gravel and not solid pavement.
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Thank you both. I do not have a picture yet, and the boat is an hour drive away so I can't get it easily.

From what I recall, there is just the one switch. Is that possible?

Comment

Not sure how yours is set up but....Some have just the one switch, once it’s trimmed up to its limit an additional click of the switch in the upwards direction will bring the drive up to the trailer position.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

• zirnhelt
            zirnhelt commented
            Editing a comment
            Well that helps prove my memory isn't completely gone!

One switch is definitely possible. Also, be sure that your drive is centered.
          Randy
          2006 Bayliner BR205
          5.0 Carb, Alpha 1 Gen 2
          Chesapeake, VA

Comment

• zirnhelt
            zirnhelt commented
            Editing a comment
            Pretty sure it was but I'll double check when I get back there. Thanks!

There's no dock so I had to pull it out with the fin dragging through gravel. Yikes!

One never HAS to drag their outdrive through rocks. A trim failure might mean a disconnection of the hyd rams might be required then a manual raise with it tied up in place but never drag it!
          Jim Gandee
          1989 3888
          Hino 175's
          Fire Escape
          [email protected]

Comment

• zirnhelt
            zirnhelt commented
            Editing a comment
            I think that's the other advice I'm looking for! How to manually lift it so I can move it to someone smarter.

Some of the mercury controllers have a separate push button trailering switch once the toggle switch for the trim reaches its limit.....then again some only have the single toggle switch that operates both trim and trailer.

post some pics when you can and I'm sure someone has experience with the controller you have.

2008 H210SS Four Winns
          Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
          Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
          Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

I think that's the other advice I'm looking for! How to manually lift it so I can move it to someone smarter.

Zirnhelt,
            To manually raise an Alpha II drive you remove the plastic covers from one end of each ram. Then remove the C clip and pin while supporting the weight of the outdrive. Once the rams are free from the lower unit you can manually raise the drive and secure it in place with rope or straps.
            Jim Gandee
            1989 3888
            Hino 175's
            Fire Escape
            [email protected]

Comment

• zirnhelt
              zirnhelt commented
              Editing a comment
              Okay this might work! I'm heading out there tonight so I'll take some pictures, and let you all know how it goes.

...or just disconnect the two wires on the limit switch and connect them together....then use the trim switch and it will continue to raise without unlocking the rams and towing the rams and drive up with ropes.

I believe the trim limit switch is one on the port side, but it's been 10 years since I've had a mercruiser.

the other one on the starboard side is the position sensor that sends info to tilt gauge on dash...leave it connected if so equipped.

double check....as someone on here will know for sure if your target is on the port side.
            2008 H210SS Four Winns
            Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
            Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

Tx, good point if the trim system, pump etc, still functions. Sometimes it’s just quicker to d/c the rams and get on.
              Jim Gandee
              1989 3888
              Hino 175's
              Fire Escape
              [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by TX H210 SS View Post
                ...or just disconnect the two wires on the limit switch and connect them together....then use the trim switch and it will continue to raise without unlocking the rams and towing the rams and drive up with ropes.

I believe the trim limit switch is one on the port side, but it's been 10 years since I've had a mercruiser.

the other one on the starboard side is the position sensor that sends info to tilt gauge on dash...leave it connected if so equipped.

double check....as someone on here will know for sure if your target is on the port side.
                You're right, it's on the port side. But, I think the OP's problem is that the trailer switch wasn't working which is apparently integrated into the regular trim switch. The trailer switch does not take a signal from the limit switch so it'll raise the drive regardless of its position.
                1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

Understood, but if the trim portion of switch works then the only thing telling it to stop would be the limiter. The trailer side of the switch then would initiate. Not arguing, just trying to understand.

I have forgotten more than I recall about the merc setup though. My model has no trailer switch and the trim takes it all the way up....but the drive on mine never raises above water line.

2008 H210SS Four Winns
                  Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
                  Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

• TX H210 SS
                    TX H210 SS commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Unless mine does switch between trim and trailer at certain point. Never thought about it really as I have to go by trim gauge and sound and can see the drive unless hanging over the stern.

Brings up related issue for those who trailer like me....do tall use a support bar for drive or rely on hydraulics to hold while trailering? I've never used a support bar but thinking of the carnage if the drive dropped on the freeway at 65mph.

Okay folks, I return in shame and embarrassment. There is a separate switch. It's labeled 'trailer'.

It's not a big deal here as none of you know me, but my good buddy had come along and now I get to hear about it for years.... I guess I deserve it!

The fin survived, but I knocked one of the prop blades out of pitch.

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
                    Nauti_Mike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lol, live and learn.

• builderdude
                    builderdude commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Pesky trailer button....

Hahhaha....we all have done dumb stuff and have regrets....I do have to say it's a small little button

Now you know.....take prop to a prop shop and they can refurbish it.... may be good to get a spare prop if they have a deal. Dont run boat with a muffed up prop....the vibration will cause more hell than a little bit.

Your ordeal isn't as bad as putting out with boat load of folks and realizing the bilge plug is in the cupholder at the helm. That was a stressful dive knowing I couldn't drop the damn thing to bottom of lake.
                  2008 H210SS Four Winns
                  Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
                  Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

• zirnhelt
                    zirnhelt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I've had that very bilge plug experience during season two! The glacier-melt water was shallow and clear, but so cold, dropping the plug wasn't my main worry.

I like to think these lessons are making me a better boater.
                Working...
                X