175br trailer strap and hook-gctid414983

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

175br trailer strap and hook-gctid414983

I am looking to replace the winch strap and hook on the 175 trailer and looking for anyone who has replaced it before. It's a 2" strap and the hook measures 2 3/4" wide x 4" long. I have no problem finding straps that fit, I am going to go heavy duty on the strap for safety's sake, but the hook is too big for my setup. I cannot winch the boat eyelet to where it is touching the roller. Every other boat I have ever used has winched right up to the roller but it seems like the hook is too big and holding me back from getting it all the way to the top. Anyone know where I can find a 2" heavy duty strap with smaller hook than the one I have? Or does everyone have the same issue I do?

Why do you think that the eyelet should touch the roller? The roller is for the hull to rest against. Sounds like your trailer is set up correctly and there is no reason to screw with it.

Comment

oldjeep wrote:
      Why do you think that the eyelet should touch the roller? The roller is for the hull to rest against. Sounds like your trailer is set up correctly and there is no reason to screw with it.
      Its the original strap from '03 and it is looking very tired so that is the main purpose for wanting to replace it. With the boat as far forward on the trailer as possible the boat doesnt sit all the way forward on the bunks in the rear. There's a good 1" of boat hanging over the rear bunks not to mention there is very little tongue weight on the trailer and i'd like to get as much weight forward as possible to help her trailer a little better and a little quieter. These 175's just have no bow weight and I think if i got her sinched up to the roller that migt add another 15-20 lbs tongue weight

Comment

whitey382 wrote:
        Its the original strap from '03 and it is looking very tired so that is the main purpose for wanting to replace it. With the boat as far forward on the trailer as possible the boat doesnt sit all the way forward on the bunks in the rear. There's a good 1" of boat hanging over the rear bunks not to mention there is very little tongue weight on the trailer and i'd like to get as much weight forward as possible to help her trailer a little better and a little quieter. These 175's just have no bow weight and I think if i got her sinched up to the roller that migt add another 15-20 lbs tongue weight
        Put your spare tire mount on the tounge of the trailer, and make sure your hitch makes the trailer sit level or sloped slightly to the truck. That'll get you a few lbs. Moving the boat forward an inch isn't going to do much since the engine and drive are behind the axle.

Got a picture of how it sits on the trailer?

Are you getting any bounce from the bow when on the trailer? If you let the bow strap loose right now, does the bow come off the roller?

Yes to either of those might indicate a problem.

Comment

oldjeep wrote:
          Put your spare tire mount on the tounge of the trailer, and make sure your hitch makes the trailer sit level or sloped slightly to the truck. That'll get you a few lbs. Moving the boat forward an inch isn't going to do much since the engine and drive are behind the axle.

Got a picture of how it sits on the trailer?

Are you getting any bounce from the bow when on the trailer? If you let the bow strap loose right now, does the bow come off the roller?

Yes to either of those might indicate a problem.
          With the trailer sitting level and the strap removed the boat does not come off the roller, but if i get in the boat and stand just rear of the rear axle i can get the front of the trailer to lift off the ground. I figure every little bit would help. And yes, when i finally pony up for a spare tire it will be mounted in the front. When i get home later i'll post a coupkle pics.

Comment

If your bow stop is adjustable and if you still have bunk behind the transom, then you could slide the bow stop forward an inch or so. wether or not that is a good idea will depend on how close the boat is to any of the other supports.

Comment

Your winch tower should be adjustable, however, by moving it forward, you'll be bringing the hull closer to your tow vehicle and perhaps too far forward on the bunks.

Is your suspension undercarriage adjustable FWD/AFT?

(I doubt that it is adjustable for a 175)

But if it is........ loosen it up, and slide it AFT a few inches, and then check the tongue weight.

Once you get the weight correct, lock it in place again.

(this would effectively lengthen the tongue, and will improve tracking and reversing)

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
              Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
              Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                Your winch tower should be adjustable, however, by moving it forward, you'll be bringing the hull closer to your tow vehicle and perhaps too far forward on the bunks.

Is your suspension undercarriage adjustable FWD/AFT?

(I doubt that it is adjustable for a 175)

But if it is........ loosen it up, and slide it AFT a few inches, and then check the tongue weight.

Once you get the weight correct, lock it in place again.

(this would effectively lengthen the tongue, and will improve tracking and reversing)

nice ideas, currently the boat is sitting too far back on the bunk, so I still have atleast another inch or 2 I could move the boat forward on the trailer before the end of the bunk would meet the end of the boat. pictures to follow..

fyi, i know the trailer wasn't exactly fit properly to the boat originally because one of the bunks was off by about an inch from where it should have been to center the boat on the trailer

Comment

New from the factory my strap hook embeds into the roller before the boat comes to a rest against the roller. At no point does the eyehook come close. Seems that's their intention by design......

whitey382 wrote:
                  I am looking to replace the winch strap and hook on the 175 trailer and looking for anyone who has replaced it before. It's a 2" strap and the hook measures 2 3/4" wide x 4" long. I have no problem finding straps that fit, I am going to go heavy duty on the strap for safety's sake, but the hook is too big for my setup. I cannot winch the boat eyelet to where it is touching the roller. Every other boat I have ever used has winched right up to the roller but it seems like the hook is too big and holding me back from getting it all the way to the top. Anyone know where I can find a 2" heavy duty strap with smaller hook than the one I have? Or does everyone have the same issue I do?

Comment

JeffBowser wrote:
                    New from the factory my strap hook embeds into the roller before the boat comes to a rest against the roller. At no point does the eyehook come close. Seems that's their intention by design......
                    interesting, mine is the same way.

i guess one thing that might help me out, would someone who has a 175br (preferable with a tower but if not no big deal) get a scale underneath the jack stand at the front of the trailer and weigh it, I'm trying to figure out how much weight i should have in front. I can lift the tongue of the trailer by myself without straining even a little.

Comment

whitey382 wrote:
                      interesting, mine is the same way.

i guess one thing that might help me out, would someone who has a 175br (preferable with a tower but if not no big deal) get a scale underneath the jack stand at the front of the trailer and weigh it, I'm trying to figure out how much weight i should have in front. I can lift the tongue of the trailer by myself without straining even a little.
                      I have the spare wheel on mine and can only lift off the hook just but would stuff my back sooner or later, I would think I would have 50-60kg on the ball.

This seams to be perfect for me as it tows very well.

My hook comes up under the roller as well, when the boat is snug the hook is 3/4 under the roller with the eye of the boat about 3-4 inches away from the roller.

Comment

Anyone without a spare tire?

Comment

It's not a 175, but I have 230lbs on my tongue (no spare). As I understand, the rule of thumb is between 7 and 12% of the total weight should be on the tongue, although I have seen as low as 5% stated.

Comment

JeffBowser wrote:
                            It's not a 175, but I have 230lbs on my tongue (no spare). As I understand, the rule of thumb is between 7 and 12% of the total weight should be on the tongue, although I have seen as low as 5% stated.
                            while your hull is definitely heavier than mine, those percentages you gave me should really help me out. At 7% i should have roughly 170 lbs of tongue weight, maybe go as low as 150 lbs and still be fine. I know I don't even break 100 lbs currently with how easy it is to lift the tongue. Thanks for the help, I will weigh mine tonight. I'm thinking moving the bow rest tower forward an inch or 2 is going to be my best bet.

Comment

Well, I can lift mine. Not easily, but I can do it by myself. The dealer estimated I had 50lbs on the tongue, I laughed out loud at him. I figured I had 150 at least. Bottom line, hard to tell by hand..... I actually took a scale to mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X