New to boats got my first boat! 1985 bayliner Capri need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to boats got my first boat! 1985 bayliner Capri need help

Hey guys so I just got myself a boat it was only 450 bucks with the clean title didn’t really get too much information from the guy other than the fact that he said it needs a new coil packs and a battery what would be his reasoning and thinking it needs a new coil packs also I found a couple of wires that are kind of just hanging and I don’t know what therefore ones blue and the other one is orange FYI motor is a 1985 85hp force motor. Help please

Found out that the blue wire is for the magneto but so isn’t the white wire and in the manual for the engine it shows no wire where blue is supposed to go so idk bout that any help please

Comment

Welcome! And welcome to the head scratching figuring out what others did to you boat before you bought it.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Lol thanks for the welcome I’m very mechanically inclines with cars so I know that

Comment

I did a search for 85hp force wire diagram and found that prior to 85 the brand was Chrysler. That helped and I found this, I hope it helps.
          https://maxrules.com/graphics/force/...thru91A_CD.jpg
          https://forums.iboats.com/Force-Outboards/Wiring
          P/C Pete
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          MMSI 367770440

Comment

Oh, btw, as you get it running, take a class or two on basic boating. There are on line as well as classroom types, but they will help keep you out of some basic trouble. Safety is paramount, don’t be too proud to wear a pfd. I use the inflatable type. Next, learn the rules of the road. It may look like you can go anywhere anytime, but there are rules about right of way and give way vessels. You really need to know that stuff. If you want some fun examples of what to do and what not to do, go to a boat ramp on a nice day.
            P/C Pete
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

As an outside observer I noticed something in picture 4.
              On the left side there seems to be a round hole with what appears to be a witness mark left by a faster/washer.
              That mark leads me to believe that something was attached in that region.
              Just wanted to point it out as it could be another thing worth investigating.............I am not suggesting it is related to "doesn't run", just that there may be some sort of part is loose or missing.
              Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
              Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

An additional observation:
                In picture 3 there is not only an empty connection on the terminal board, but there is a small metal "bridge" that electrically connects 2 adjacent screws.

The diagram showed 3 connections made together

Does maybe that stray blue wire connect to the open screw and form part of the 3 wire connection?

Comment

There is also a witness mark on the upper left screw inside my yellow area
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Force outboard pic of terminal board modified in yellow.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	506.3 KB
ID:	496440

Comment

Thanks for the reply’s I seen that as well I just wanna know why he dissconnected it? Also I’m confused because my coils and my cdi unit I think there called have wires and in picture 4 shows the orange wire not connected to anything also the white is the back of the mounting plate I took it off to herb picture behind so you can see that orange wire I’ll get better pictures tomorrow it’s to Dark now also found no oil in bottom unit don’t know if that’s good or bad? Should I take the lower unit off and look at the lower water pump see if it’s ok?

Comment

Also shows no wire hooked up to the spot on the diagram for the blue wire so I’m confused

Comment

Well got the lower unit off and the prop but can’t get the shaft out I wonder if it doesn’t come out makes sense if it did come out tho cause I think the gears are messed up

Comment

Sounds like when I spin the prop shaft there’s like a rattle kinda noise idk cause I can’t pull it out it looks like it can be removed?smh

Comment

That noice may just be the dog clutch slipping since the shift shaft is not being loaded as when the lower is installed. The same happens when in neutral but the engine is trimmed up, gravity cause the clutch to slide back some and when the shaft is turned you hear the dog slipping since it’s not in the full engage position such as reverse.

why are you trying to pull the shaft?
                            1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Cause I felt something inside was broke sounded like it was skipping but if you say it’s normal I’ll throw it back together I didn’t remove anything I can put back easily but I wanna get the boat running first off where can I get a prop for this boat says like a 13” but idk pitch maybe 17 or 19

Comment

Working...
                              X