2018 VR6 - OB - 200 Verado Pro - Top Speed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 VR6 - OB - 200 Verado Pro - Top Speed

I am taking delivery on this puppy late April. Just curious as to what top speed some folks have hit with the same set up.

From everything I can find you should be in the high 40's. The 250 hp version is stated at 52 mph. I would imaging you're within 5 of that. Be warned however, the 200 hp Verado variant has a design flaw and the motor cannot trim up all the way without hitting the engine cover.

Comment

Gosh with 200 horses and the weight, I'd suspect you'd be in the low 40s. I have a 642 with an I/O 4.3L Merc 220HP and A1 outdrive. With a 19P 3 blade prop I was able to hit 47 mpg (by gps) with two people on board in perfect glass conditions. Here's the thing though, I don't really want to go that fast. The hull that I think we both have is a medium depth vee and not really meant for high speed. The Stingrays and similar are faster but like any flatter hull, they'll slap in chop instead of cut. Cutting gives you a smoother ride. The biggest issue I have had, and that I think a lot of VR5 and VR6 folks have, is planing. With more than 3 on board and gear and nobody up front, it's hard to get on plane with the stock prop configuration (3 blade 19P). I switched to a 4 blade 18P prop and that helped a lot, way more low end, although my top speed went down to high 30s low 40s. So then I was good planing with 4 but not five, so I put on self leveling (spring) tabs and that helped more and might have slowed me some -- but for the first time I could actually get o n plane with 7 on board and also I could trim up without porposing. That was huge and made for a smoother ride. Things are acceptable right now but not totally perfect, so this spring I plan to install a stainless four-blade 19p and see where that gets me.

I dig that VR6 and I think you'll be happy. In the end you'll be pleased with the value, as just about any boat you buy will have some need to address. The VR6 is a versatile capable boat with a reliable and powerful OB. It's not a speed demon, but speed demon boats aren't necessarily comfortable rides, either. Every time I get passed by a Formula doing 60, I remember that I can afford a lovely dinner for myself and my guests for the amount of fuel that person just blew through. That's also what I mean by comfortable. With that 200 I suspect your fuel economy will mean you'll spend just $50-100 bucks a weekend on fuel and not $500 to $1000. That's a huge consideration. At least it was for me. Congrats btw!!!
      It is when you give of yourself that you truly give - Kahlil Gilbran
      2015 Bayliner 642 in Red, 4.3L MPI, Alpha 1 Gen II
      Eagle Runner

Comment

I have the Verado pro 200 on my VR6. The prop they sent with the boat was the wrong pitch. The sent 11 pitch and the boat was all low end no top end and hit rev limiters. I put 17 pitch prop and I lost a little low end but gained a lot of top end. Max speed on a good day was 53. But 49 mph regularly. At wide open you use a lot of gas. I run it at 3500 rpm and cruise about 35 mph that’s its sweet spot

Comment

The Verado pro does tilt up all the way out of the water no issues there

Comment

Thank you for all the replies!

I believe the boat was sent back to Bayliner and they put a new mount on the motor so that it can tilt all the way out of the water. I think this is one of the reason they still have the 2018, its one of their last ones they were trying to move so I got a pretty good deal. The Marine where i purchased assured me it will tilt up and out. I am in Long Island, NY and will be running the boat in salt water, so tilting the motor out is crucial for me.

Thanks for all the responses, about top end speed. The boat is quite an upgrade for me, so mid to high 40's will be plenty fast!

Comment

Good luck with it. I bought it in queens and keep it there.

Comment

Congrats on boat...she’s a beauty. I still cannot get past the outboard on these bowriders...I see the practicality believe me, but just cannot get last the look...not for me personally...it just looks out of place on that boat, beautiful boat, beautiful engine on their own, separately, but together to my eye not at all..I would think that boat should run right about the 50 mph number...based on my experience with our 3.0 185 with 4-blade and Smart Tabs I’ll hit 48 WOT all day but that is about all she’s got..
                Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
                2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
                1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

Originally posted by David C View Post
                  Good luck with it. I bought it in queens and keep it there.
                  I think one of the more attractive things about the VR6 is the fact that it has a head compartment, crazy on a boat under 23ft. That will likely be my next boat.
                  1973 Rinker Trihull 115hp Mercury OB
                  1974 Caravelle Trihull 165 hp I/O
                  1986 Baja 180 170HP Mercruiser
                  2012 Bayliner 195 BR 4.3 TKS

Comment

Hey Everyone!

I got the boat. The boat is really wonderful. Couple questions/comments for you and looking forward to your responses.
                    • Had the boat out today and in pretty calm conditions with some wind behind me, she only hit about 37mph. Should i be getting a bit more?
                    • The boat is "torquey" as hell in the low end. She really gets up and goes.
                      • The prop that came with it is the Enertia Prop with 11 pitch and 16.0 diameter. Is that right?
                    • Is there an adjustment for the RPM gauge, When i hold it open, the tach is literally wrapping itself all the way around back to the 1k RPM. That cant be right.
                    I am going to ask the dealer but was just looking for some context and comments from you folks before doing so.

Thank you!

Comment

I would think you should be are 45 mph. Bu that's a guess. The Tach is definitely. Not right and needs to be corrected. There is an adjustment on the back to set it for different engines.
                      When you were checking for top speed did you trim the engine to help get on plane. If not next time try trimming the engine. To do so once your ar top speed just tap the trim button up with very small taps. You will feel the change in the boat with each tap.
                      2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
                      Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
                      Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
                      Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
                      1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

I am not familiar with the Verado setup, but the pitch of 11 is definitely helping your “torquey-ness“ that seems low to me, but again I am not familiar with the verado or that setup..higher pitch, less “hole shot” better top end...most prefer the hole shot end of things due to watersports especially. The tach issue is definitely a return to dealer item..I would check for the “setting” pin on the back of the tach though...but that sounds like something different altogether than the wrong setting...
                        Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
                        2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                        1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                        1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
                        1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                        1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                        1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                        1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

Unfortunately the dealer is about an 1.5 hours away and boat is in the water full time so it would be a pain in the butt to get it out of the water and back to them. During the delivery i even said to them, that tach is way off and they assured me it wasn't but we were only under 50% throttle so couldn't really tell.. When i got back home and splashed it, went to WOT, and the tach was wrapping around itself. Its funny though, cause idle and lower speeds seems ok. Right around 750 at idle.

The Verado is definitely not standard on this boat. The generally come with 150 4 strokes. I'm fairly certain the Verado 200 Pro can handle a slightly bigger pitch to achieve some more top end. Would love to be in the mid 40's and cruising speed between 32-35 mph. Right now to achieve 35 mph shes is WOT and screaming.

Thanks for the replies everyone, i really appreciate it.

Comment

On the back of the tach is a Dial that is used to adjust the tach. You wouldn't have the first boat that came from Bayliner with the tach was set wrong. Since you have new Mercury, looking in purchasing the Mercury Vessel View Mobile. It it will give you important Engine information on a free app on your phone. It will give you accurate tach info as well. They are priced around $225 now. Most folks on here that purchased one really seem to to like the info gives. I installed mine two weeks ago. I hope to get the boat in the water soon and test it out. But the It worked well with basic info like RPM, volt, temps etc... while in my driveway.
                            2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
                            Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
                            Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
                            Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
                            1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

Sometimes the multi-position switch on the back of the tach is either set wrong in one of 2 common ways: it is either in the wrong position or it is straddling 2 positions.

Another issue is that sometimes there is crud on the contact surfaces and simply rotating the switch through a few positions and back to the proper position can make the connection more stable.

Most tachs are designed to take a signal from a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder engine as long as there is a switch there to match the number of cylinders the engine has.

Take a picture of the position before you mess with it. You can try some experiments on your own, before the last resort of taking it to the dealer.

DON'T admit to touching anything to your dealer if you have to take it in for warranty work.
                              Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
                              Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X