Bottom Paint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom Paint

What’s everyone using for bottom Paint ?

I use Interlux ULTRA in Alaska salt water.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Pettit Hydrocote Eco. Two year intervals, very little prep necessary, North Puget Sound.
      Tally and Vicki
      "Wickus" Meridian 341
      MMSI 338014939

Comment

Sea Hawk Smart Solution on my previous boat. Moored in brackish water. Previous boat cruised at 25kn and copper is not legal on pleasure craft in Washington....but I understand that's under review. Something about the alternative paints being worse than copper.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
        MMSI 367770440
        1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
        Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
          Sea Hawk Smart Solution on my previous boat. Moored in brackish water. Previous boat cruised at 25kn and copper is not legal on pleasure craft in Washington....but I understand that's under review. Something about the alternative paints being worse than copper.
          Copper is not banned in Washington - that decision was postponed (not sure for how long). I put Seahawk Cukote (copper) on my moored Meridian just over a year ago and it has had very little growth... holding up great.
          1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

My dealer screwed up my bottom. Only a few months in the water when the boat was pulled for the winter there was a ton of barnacles and growth. So I basically have to reprep the bottom and paint it. So any advice would be great

Comment

So you narrowed it down for us, David. You boat is in salt water.
              Tally and Vicki
              "Wickus" Meridian 341
              MMSI 338014939

Comment

Did your dealer use " hard or Ablative " bottom paint.?? Keep,in mind ablative can go over hard paint, hard paint NOT over ablative. You might talk to local boat yard to get an idea of what they use,what works well in one area might not work so good in another.....Hope this helps...Brad
                Brad & Sharon
                Lady Jake
                1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
                LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
                kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

They used a no sand primer and and ablative paint a couple of hours before the boat was launched

Comment

Originally posted by David C View Post
                    My dealer screwed up my bottom. Only a few months in the water when the boat was pulled for the winter there was a ton of barnacles and growth. So I basically have to reprep the bottom and paint it. So any advice would be great
                    Had the same issue a few years back -- I think it was my own fault for not mixing the paint enough. This time I used a mixer attached to a cordless drill and got it super well mixed.

I just redid mine and used Pettit Horizon -- I could have gone a 3rd season.
                    Terry
                    1999 Bayliner 3388
                    Twin Cummins 4BTA
                    Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
                    Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

I also have to paint a new water line cause the dealer painted too low. So I will have to prep the new surface also. I sanded s lot of the barnacles off and got it too the fiberglass. How do you know if you sanded too much fiberglass off?

Comment

Working...
                      X