Ocean Use.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ocean Use.....

It seems the majority of owners on this forum are lake boaters but I was curious if there were any ocean boaters? I plan to trailer my boat but use it in Cape Cod MA. Mainly coves and bays but will venture out into the sound on calm days. Curious if there are any other ocean dwellers out there??!!

HMMM

I actually thoght that the forum is very well balanced.

Most larger boats are used on oceans, and most smaller boats are designed for and used on inland waters.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

• Gboater
      Gboater commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Kevin

I due coastal boating off the south shore of long Island. depending on the winds I can handle 2 to 3' seas if necessary but avoid 3 to 4' seas

Ron
    1989 3218
    1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
    2007 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

• Gboater
      Gboater commented
      Editing a comment
      Thx Ron. What size boat do you have?

I have the 3218, which is actually about 34 feet

Ron
    1989 3218
    1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
    2007 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

Exclusively ocean and bay use.
      Larry Purcell
      1999 2452 Classic
      Merc 5.0L, Alpha 1 Gen 2
      San Diego, CA

Comment

I’m all coastal use in the Mediterranean... Bayliner 185, not great in anything over a 2’ wave but we do get flat sheltered water most weeks and I stick within 5 miles of shore.

Comment

• Gboater
          Gboater commented
          Editing a comment
          Thx bennyboy. Jealous of your location in the Mediterranean! Nice to know you can still take her 5 miles out in the ocean on a calm day.

GBoater, what of rig do you have? I have a 1997 Capri 1952 and am fine around Buzzards Bay unless its real bad out or tons of boat traffic.

Comment

have one of each....one fresh water for lakes and rivers.....and one in a slip soaking in salt......and a lonely/grumpy wife constantly reminding of both

Comment

My 38 lives in the ocean.
            Jim Gandee
            1989 3888
            Hino 175's
            Fire Escape
            Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

I am in both waters, the lake when restricted to home, to AK for great fishing 50+ radius of Ketchikan AK, as you can see 28Feet long I run from run from Prince Rupert N. to get there just watch the weather at the Dixson entrants about 25 mile crossing with the remaining run fairly protected.
              Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
              96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

I Moore on Lake Washington but do a lot of cruising on the Salish Sea via the Ballard (Hiram M Chittenden) Locks.San Juan's, Gulf Islands and South Puget Sound.
                Ted G
                The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
                Designers Edition
                Mercury 350 Mag
                290 Volvo DP

Comment

While technically we are on the ocean, the Puget Sound is much more tame than the Great Lakes. We are very protected in general. Rarely, but notably, our waters show us that respect is due. If you have taken your vessel offshore, I'd consider that Ocean use. There are lots of salt water cruising areas that are a lot safer than some of the larger fresh water sites.
                  Tally and Vicki
                  "Wickus" Meridian 341
                  MMSI 338014939

Comment

The OP mentions Cape Cod which is made up of many areas... Cape Cod Bay & Buzzards Bay primarily, but the outer cape is nothing but the Atlantic. I've spent most of my time in Buzzards Bay, Cape Cod Bay and Vineyard Sound. While not a massive area (28 miles long, 8 miles wide), i've been in 5-6+ foot breakers in Buzzards Bay when it is a beautiful day out (this in a 27 foot Sea Ray Amberjack). I'd be comfortable in my Bayliner in much smaller seas, which do present themselves at times in Buzzards Bay & the fishing is out of this world. Cape Cod Bay can get hairy if you go a few miles off shore without a doubt.

Comment

Its not the size of the boat, but the knowledge of the skipper, that determines the success.
                      I knew a guy who would take his home made wood skiff out to Cortez Bank, off of southern California, from Long Beach.
                      I have made this run in a 65 footer before, and it can get hairy.
                      He was a diver, and photographed some outstanding underwater photography.....
                      He would wear his wet suit, while running, because of the spray he caught under way.

Comment

I have used my bowrider in Long Island Sound but only on calm days and with the bow cover on (and life jackets worn)! The Sound is often calm in the mornings in the summer but can turn rougher in the afternoon as the air heats up and winds pick up. Also its mostly shallow depth contributes to frequent rough seas there. There are a few very good fishing spots about half way across between New York and Connecticut (Eaton's Neck Triangle).
                        88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                        98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                        07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Working...
                        X