Bayliner VR4? Updated thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner VR4? Updated thoughts?

I saw the review of the Bayliner VR4 in an earlier post. I was curious if there were any updated thoughts or opinions on this craft. Is there anyone out there who has purchased this vessel? If so how do you like it and would you recommend it? I’m a first time boat buyer, and looking for something for my small family to take on small trips together create some memories with the young ones. Also, I’m nervous about it being a single axle trailer. Does this make anyone else nervous as far as taking it on trips? Any remedies? Thanks as always for the input and support!

I am in the same exact position as you. I too am looking at the new 2018 VR4. I looked at both the I/O and outboard model. The I/O has a 200hp Merc motor which is much more than I would need. The design is slick but the I/O tends to be heavy and I know they are more expensive to maintain. I like the VR4 OB because there is still plenty of room and the model I am looking at has a 115hp which is much more sensible for me. I don’t like how far back the OB sits on the boat. Not sure how that will impact it’s handling. I am going to see the VR4 today do I will keep you posted.

Comment

My thoughts exactly. I personally like the outboard since it provides a large area to put a portable potty for the family in case of emergencies, it is easy to winterize, and from what I’ve read easier to maintain. I’m also diggin the lounge type of sitting in the back with the filler cushions. Plus it’s a damn good price point for what you are getting. Keep me informed. I’m also going to the stealership today at around noon to check out the boat first hand.

Comment

I have a vr4 with the 4.5 I/O. Love the boat. I have a family of 4 and the vr4 has plenty of storage for all the tubes, ropes, life jackets, towels etc... for the family. Lots of storage. I also fish of the boat and the ski locker is long enough to store 7 foot rods which I love. The 4.5 200 hp provides plenty of power and pulls the kids and there friends without problems. I have not had any issues with mine and would recommend it to anyone. The single axle trailer tows well enough as the boat is not that big.

Comment

Personally I don’t think that you can go wrong with the VR series as a first boat. Powerplant I think becomes subjective in a few ways. Personally, on these small bowriders, I prefer the look of an I/o as opposed to an outboard. Subjectively speaking, I don’t care For the new bow design of all the new Boats regardless of manufacture....the wide bow to me looks like a a pontoon...or at a minimum a deck boat...again that’s purely in the eye of the beholder. But I think with a young family, to make memories the full beam swim platform or even an extended swim platform would be a huge advantage...kids hanging out, jumping off, ease of getting watersprots equipment on/off...you and your family wouldn’t miss anything that you have ever had....porta John, changing room etc....assuming that you and your family end up liking the sport, the extra horses of the i/o will come in handy down the road as your family ages/grows kids now bringing friends etc. should you keep the boat no worries with power, should you choose to sell to upgrade or just get out of the sport altogether...the bigger engine is more desirable on the used boat market...this “hobby” isn’t cheap but it lasts a lifetime and so can the equipment if taken care of. As many. Have mentioned that they have NEVER heard anyone say...”my boat’s engine is too big and powerful”...be sure to keep us posted as to your decisions...and remember, it never happened unless you post pics..
          Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
          2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
          1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
          1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
          1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
          1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
          1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
          1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

Originally posted by RobMick View Post
            ...snip... Subjectively speaking, I don’t care For the new bow design of all the new Boats regardless of manufacture....the wide bow to me looks like a a pontoon...or at a minimum a deck boat...again that’s purely in the eye of the beholder...
            Speaking from owning a 2017 VR5 for two seasons now I fully agree this falls purely in the eye of the beholder. At first I thought the same thing however on the water it's not noticeable at least for me. But the ADDED space is very noticeable and very welcome.....

Comment

Thank you all for your feedback and opinions to which I have taken into account. I chose to buy a VR4 in the outboard configuration. The dealer by me had one in stock with all the accessories I wanted (and some I could do without) so I jumped on it. I really like the amount of interior space. It is very roomy for a 18 ft boot and I believe it suits our family’s needs in a first boat. I’m a firm believer in if there are no pics it didn’t happen, so as soon as it stops raining here, I’m gonna take a few pics. I like this community, so I’m gonna stick around for a while and post when I can. Thanks again

Comment

Took the boat out for the first time today. It was a little overcast, but I had the morning off and I wanted to go when the lake was not crowded. After all it is my first time launching a boat and retrieving it, and I was doing it solo. Things went well. I was nervous, but the boat is forgiving and I had a good time. Here are a couple of pics as promised.

Comment

Working...
                X