Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'88 Capri 1750 ignition relay, resettable fuse or solenoid?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'88 Capri 1750 ignition relay, resettable fuse or solenoid?

Hello everyone. I'm new to this form. Been having a strange issue and wanted to ask the group. I installed a battery cutoff on the negative side of the battery. It has a key for on/off. I've owned this boat since new and recently when I turn the battery switch on then the blower and let if run a little then ignition to on the lights come on and fan blows. But when I then move the key to start, everything goes dark. If I switch the battery cutoff to off and back on, fan goes back on and I can try to start it again. I don't believe there is any electronics in the battery cutoff and it is a heavy duty switch designed to take the load. Is there some sort of resettable protection fuse somewhere else in the wiring? Sometimes I need to do this 3 or 4 times before I finally get the motor to turn over. This started last season and seems to be getting worse. Anyone have this happen? Is there a simple fix? Thanks in advance for your help.

A battery switch should be on the positive side of the battery. Have you checked for loose connections?
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post
      A battery switch should be on the positive side of the battery. Have you checked for loose connections?
      agree, sounds like a bad negative, maybe the new switch is bad? Try temporarily bypassing the negative battery cable with some jumper cables to test.

Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
        Try temporarily bypassing the negative battery cable with some jumper cables to test.
        I will try that next time I am at the lake. Thanks.

Comment

A battery switch should be on the positive side of the battery.
          The instructions said to attach it to the negative side for a negative ground vehicle. This is like the one I have. I thought that was strange as well but I followed the instructions. In Googling it now, there are answers on both sides. I cannot find a real reason for one or the other.
          Shop for Duralast Battery circuit only master disconnect switch SW5796 with confidence at AutoZone.com. Parts are just part of what we do. Get yours online today and pick up in store.

Comment

First of all that is not a marine rated switch with spark protection. It’s function is a kill switch and not a battery selector like the marine units.

On a boat at nearly all positives run through the battery switch but may have multiple return buss bars connected to the engine block then the battery. Yes opening either positive or negative will stop the current flow but IMO the negative side can have sneak paths.

anyway try what Dave suggested.

Mike

Comment

You guys are great. Really made me start thinking. My problem is probably in the switch. After further research on the switch I have, I read they are not rated for very high amperage. After several years of flawless service, there maybe something going bad with it. I will bypass the switch the next time I go to the lake and see if that fixes my problem. If that's the problem, I found a better one rated at 300A continuous /1000A momentary. I like this one better anyway since it doesn't have a removable key to get lost. I keep my boat on a small private lake so not worried about theft. Here's what I found:

Click image for larger version

Name:	61ubt9yWBML._SL1100_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	447852
              Curious why Mike said the 1st one was not marine rated. When I bought it, it said it was for cars, boats, ATVs. The cable ends and nuts on the original one are exposed but there should not be any sort of arc or spark on them. This one does have caps which should contain a spark, no?

Comment

Spark occurs inside the switch when it makes/breaks contact. Marine unit is either sealed or vented through a spark arrestor screen. Just because it said boats doesn't mean it's rated for engine compartment.

Mike

Comment

Spark occurs inside the switch when it makes/breaks contact. Marine unit is either sealed or vented through a spark arrestor screen. Just because it said boats doesn't mean it's rated for engine compartment.
                  Understood and Thank you. How would a spark in the inside of the sealed switch ignite gas vapors? Obviously I cannot run my blower until after the switch is turned on. Is there a way to seal it to make it safer? Just asking because I am interested and I know boats can explode due to sparks in the engine compartment.

Comment

If installed in the engine bay it must be ignition protected, something like this would be ok.
                    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-...SABEgL6gPD_BwE
                    Dave
                    Edmonds, WA
                    "THE FIX"
                    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                    Misc. projects thread
                    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by eruby View Post

Understood and Thank you. How would a spark in the inside of the sealed switch ignite gas vapors? Obviously I cannot run my blower until after the switch is turned on. Is there a way to seal it to make it safer? Just asking because I am interested and I know boats can explode due to sparks in the engine compartment.
                      if the switch is sealed it shouldn’t ignite sparks but just because the body looks solid doesn’t mean it’s sealed. Use are mariner explosion rate switch to be certain. A few extra dollars is more than worth your life. End of discussion.

Mike

Comment

Cole hearse did make the best, my older MH had one did want to switch it out before i sold it, now it can't be found.
                        Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
                        X