Trailer skid or rollers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer skid or rollers

I am buying a trailer for my 1750 capri. The boat has always been rack stored. Is it best to get wobble rollers or skids. Preferred option in Australia appears to be roller, what are your thoughts
    David
    1999 Bayliner 1750 Capri. 3l Mercruiser Alpha

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

I think it depends on where you launch. I've always had bunks and on a shallow ramp I sometimes have to use a lot of power to launch because I can't get the boat to float. Bunks are no maintenance, Rollers have to be taken care of or replaced due to salt water immersion.
    1998 Capri 1950CL
    3 Liter MerCruiser
    Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Si-tex ADF, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
    2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

Comment

always go with skids... if you want a bit slicker skids, add some strips of uhmw or nylon to the skids.... but rollers do little for you other than keep your boat unstable fore and aft on the trailer.... the ONLY thing holing it in place is the winch strap and the transom tiedowns....

if you look at launch ramp fails on youtube, you will see all the boats that get dumped on the ramp either when being backed in, or when being pulled out, came off a roller trailer.... but mostly due to the dumbass that didnt tend to the winch strap properly.

NU LIBERTE'
      Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
      5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
      N2K equipped throughout..
      2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
      2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
      '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
      Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

I have rollers on my trailer now , black ones , and they leave really ugly marks on the hull , they do clean off with a buffing machine but every time I load they are back , really hard to get the boat centered too , I am going to change to bunk style and add side guides to centre easier ,

1979 Bayliner Trophy 2150
        898 305 inboard
        Alberta , Canada

Comment

I vote bunks, no roller chit to break wear out mark your hull or maintain
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Thanks for the replies
            David

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

Bunks are thing but 2x wood covered in fabric as opposed to a system. They all work you have to admit HOW MUCH CAN GO WRONG WITH A PIECE OF WOOD?. Quoting the Old Sarge here, “ keep it simple stupid”. My bunks are. 28 years old and till going strong. The only down side I know of is they are a bit heavier pulling when cranking the boat up but they’re no that bad.

Comment

I have had both types of trailers. I prefer the bunks over the rollers.
                2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
                Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
                Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
                Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
                1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

I heard that rollers will eventually leave dimples on the hull where they meet the boat. With bunks, the weight of the boat is better distributed. Just back the trailer deep enough for the boat to float as far as possible instead of working your a** off “pulling the boat up the bunks.
                  Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
                  2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
                  12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Comment

Originally posted by oakplank View Post
                    I heard that rollers will eventually leave dimples on the hull where they meet the boat. With bunks, the weight of the boat is better distributed. Just back the trailer deep enough for the boat to float as far as possible instead of working your a** off “pulling the boat up the bunks.
                    Yep, float in off and most of the way on. Just do a little cranking when I retrieve mine.
                    Dave
                    Edmonds, WA
                    "THE FIX"
                    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                    Misc. projects thread
                    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Boat is now home on its new roller trailer. It appears that bunks are an "American" thing. None of the Australian trailer manufacturers recommended Bunks under a F/G boat.Thanks for the replies
                      David

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by Davidlyne View Post
                        Boat is now home on its new roller trailer. It appears that bunks are an "American" thing. None of the Australian trailer manufacturers recommended Bunks under a F/G boat.Thanks for the replies
                        its not so much an "american thing" as it is an "experience thing".... back in the 70's and 80's, roller bunks were all the rage here. it was difficult to find a boat trailer without them, but after several years of experience with them, they faded from favor, as the new bunk design (as opposed to the bunk design BEFORE the rollers) are so much better....

NU LIBERTE'
                        Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                        5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                        N2K equipped throughout..
                        2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                        2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                        '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                        Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

I would look into swapping out for bunks. I have rollers on my small 14 1/2' and UHMW bunks on my 192 and the bigger boat is so much easier to handle while loading and dead solid while trailering. A good bunk kit should be pretty reasonable in price.

Comment

To help pulling up your boat with bunks; before loading your boat onto your trailer, back it far enough so your bunks are totally submerged in the water. Then, pull out to your normal loading position. The bunks will be wet and thereby easier to slide the boat on.

Comment

You've already got the roller trailer so the discussion is moot but this is another vote for bunks. I've had both and I'd never have another roller trailer if you gave it to me. They're a PITA to load and they put localized pressure on the hull. Bunks are dead simple, idiot proof for loading and they spread the load out over a large area of the hull.
                              R.J.(Bob) Evans
                              Buchanan, SK
                              Cierra 2755
                              Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
                              Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

Working...
                              X