Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stiff Steering-gctid406695

Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 Bayliner 185 with a 3.0L and an Alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive, equipt with non-power rack and pinion steering. The steering has been stiff ever since I bought the boat 3 years ago. It's not to bad on plane once I set my trim, but at lower speeds it's pretty bad (makes my dash creak everytime I turn the wheel!). I have removed the cable and can move the drive back and forth without any serious effort, and the helm moves freely but does seem a little stiff (I can move the cable back and forth off the boat, but once coupled with the helm, forget it). From the part number I can tell that it isn't a NFB helm. I am going to replace everything and am wondering which avenue I should follow. Hydraulic, rotary, or another rack? The admiral refuses to drive the boat and I would like to make it easier to steer.

Thx!

boats without power stearing are normally a bit of a bear to drive.

Only option I could think of is hydraulics.

Comment

biohazard wrote:
      boats without power stearing are normally a bit of a bear to drive.

Only option I could think of is hydraulics.
      i agree, im no expert, in fact this 175 i bought 2 weeks ago is my 1st but it steers exactly like youi describe. i never noticed the noises in dash but im half deaf anyway, LOL.

Comment

My 175 steering is stiff also. When trimmed correctly and slow steering its not to bad!! Steering quickly left to right it is heavy. It certainly gives my arms a good work-out.

Would like to know which route you take to make your steering lighter, Maybe something ill look in to later on.

Comment

I just was checking the teleflex website and it said that the rack and pinion steering assembly that my, as well as many other boats have come equipt with from the factory, is recommended for power assisted sterndrives. I have sent them an email and am waiting to here back.

Comment

Same here. Mine is not too bad running slow, but have a few anomolies under way. When trimmed up close to 1/4, the fight is on. Especially if I am around 4000 RPMs.

One wierd anomoly... When under way @ 3000 to 4000 RPMs and untrimmed, the boat will pull a little to the right. Then, it is like something gives or snaps, and it starts pulling to the left. It is not dangerous or difficult to handle, but really wierd. And it doesn't happen all the time. Other than that it runs and handles like a champ. Although, my next water toy will have power steering.

Comment

With mine, my "sweet spot" is right around 1/8 trimmed up on plane. Any lower and it's a fight to turn to port and any higher and it hard to starboard. On plane the steering is actually pretty good, it's just mainly at lower speeds. That being said if you even attempt to move the wheel while trying to get on plane, forget it.

Comment

Working...
              X