Smart tab install question-gctid406558

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I just installed my SX Smart Tabs a couple of days ago. I've had them for over a year but just now got around to installing them. The one thing I disagree with is the size of the holes you drill for the stainless steel screws. They recommend 7/32 drill bit for fiberglass. Way too small. I'm not a weak guy but I could not get the provided screws into my thin Bayliner 175 hull by hand. I even tried turning the driver with a pair of pliers. After it started cracking my gelcoat I ended up using a 1/8 bit. Even that was too small. I had to round it out a bit to get the screw in. Even though I drilled deeper than needed, they would not go all the way in. I ended up lightly turning the screws with a drill driver to get them seated. The screws provided with my SX Tabs were way way to fat to fit into a 7/16 hole. I wonder if the ones I received were larger than normally specified. Maybe the were larger trim tabs & got into my order my mistake. I wish I had measured one of the screws as to compare.

Love the ride after installing the tabs. I only hope I don't get spider web cracks in the gelcoat as time goes by.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    ok will be my next project thanks guys

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Shwane wrote:
    The depth of the screw. Here's how I did mine:

1- make a mark on your drill bit the same length as the supplied screws (i used black tape)

2- drill to that depth

3- remove drill bit and replace with one size bigger, then reverse your drill and drill the hole slightly (your want to get a bevel on the screw hole not actually drill into it, This prevents cracks in the gelcoat.)

squirt some 3M marine sealant. I cant remember the number, but its the stuff that dries hard.

4- Install tabs as directed

I did this 3 years ago and haven't had any problems with them.
    +1 on all that, especially step 3. You really want a good countersink bevel, or else the gel coat will crack radially from the hole. Like a child's drawing of the sun. Use 3M 5200 (hard and permanent) or 4200 (semipermanent). Apply the sealant liberally and then wipe off the excess.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The depth of the screw. Here's how I did mine:

1- make a mark on your drill bit the same length as the supplied screws (i used black tape)

2- drill to that depth

3- remove drill bit and replace with one size bigger, then reverse your drill and drill the hole slightly (your want to get a bevel on the screw hole not actually drill into it, This prevents cracks in the gelcoat.)

squirt some 3M marine sealant. I cant remember the number, but its the stuff that dries hard.

4- Install tabs as directed

I did this 3 years ago and haven't had any problems with them.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Smart tab install question-gctid406558

Smart tab install question-gctid406558

When installing smart tabs how deep into the transome do you drill for the mounting screws? Should you call all the way through or just start the screw hole?
Working...
X