Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pics, Tips, Comments for Wakeboarding behind a 16-ft Element (It's SUMMERTIME Breh!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pics, Tips, Comments for Wakeboarding behind a 16-ft Element (It's SUMMERTIME Breh!)

Well my kiddos want to start wakeboarding & I've installed a rack on the Element's sports tower (with my vintage Hyperlite XP board).

Do any of you wakeboard behind you Element?

I'm looking for pics, tips, random comments etc to get fired up about getting into wakeboarding on our family's Element!

Ideal speed for the most fun with beginner wakeboards? (I'm thinking 19-20mph ???)
    Ideal rope length for the Element's wake? (maybe 65' ???)
    Does your rope snag the sport arch's wakeboard holder/rack?

C'mon folks, it's summertime, so let's hear all about this topic! Don't hold back
    2016 75hp Element 160 w/ Smart Tabs & Sponson Drains

For learners the biggest mistake I've seen is drivers that think they need to yank the kid out of the water. You can board at 10 MPH - try it if you don't believe me. When we've got someone who is struggling to get up the first time we tell them to just stay in a ball, get used to being dragged slowly and focus on keeping the board under them. We go slow and when the boat is moving 10 MPH someone yells "stand up" and the kid is boarding. It works every time..

You're about right for speeds - around 20 MPH, maybe a little more as they start jumping. Something that we used to do which the kids loved was to pull 2 riders at the same time. They need to be on exactly the same rope length because they'll try to spray each other and if one line is even a foot longer that guy is screwed.
    R.J.(Bob) Evans
    Buchanan, SK
    Cierra 2755
    Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
    Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

Originally posted by bobofthenorth View Post
      For learners the biggest mistake I've seen is drivers that think they need to yank the kid out of the water. You can board at 10 MPH - try it if you don't believe me. When we've got someone who is struggling to get up the first time we tell them to just stay in a ball, get used to being dragged slowly and focus on keeping the board under them. We go slow and when the boat is moving 10 MPH someone yells "stand up" and the kid is boarding. It works every time..

You're about right for speeds - around 20 MPH, maybe a little more as they start jumping. Something that we used to do which the kids loved was to pull 2 riders at the same time. They need to be on exactly the same rope length because they'll try to spray each other and if one line is even a foot longer that guy is screwed.
      That information is GOLDEN. You are right about folks trying to yank the skier out of the water (this is not fun for the poor soul being pulled).

Additionally, I'm hoping that my rack is low enough and that it will not snag the rope at any point. The board in the pick will be in use, so I'm not concerned about the rope hitting it.

What do you think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3407.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	436696Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3408.JPG
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	436697

Comment

• Jem102166
        Jem102166 commented
        Editing a comment
        Did the smart tabs make a difference for you?

The rack will be fine, that's where mine is and I've had no issues.
      2014 Flight Package 16' Element
      Upgrades: 90HP Merc, NFB Helm, Smart Tabs, 4 Blade 15P Prop, MercMonitor Gauge, Bimini Top, Custom Steering Wheel, Stainless Cup Holders, Radio w/4 speaker and Subwoofer + Amp

Lacey, WA

Comment

I tried to find some pictures of pulling multiple kids but no luck. This kid though was easily the most coachable kid we ever pulled. He had done a lot of skateboarding before he started wakeboard and he just made it look easy. He could do things on a wakeskate that the average kid couldn't do on a board. But most importantly he listened. I always try to find the single most important thing that a kid can do to feel immediate improvement. Some of them listen some of the time; some of them never listen. But this kid you could see him trying whatever I had suggested as soon as he got up. I remember one summer when he was just starting out and he was trying to learn to jump the wake both ways. He could clear it on his good side but he just couldn't do it on the off side. He was with us for about a week and the last day he got really down because he just couldn't clear the off side. He was so worked up he was actually in tears and he didn't want to get back in the water. We finally persuaded him to give it one last go just at dark and he nailed it. I can still see him back there swinging from side to side clearing the wake both ways. I don't think I've ever seen a happier kid.

Name:	FlyingScotty.jpg
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	436735

Name:	BackwardScotty.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	436736
        R.J.(Bob) Evans
        Buchanan, SK
        Cierra 2755
        Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
        Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

I'm hoping to grab a few pics to add to this thread over this upcoming Father's Day weekend!

Does look a bit rainy though.

Comment

We had very little rain this past Father's Day weekend & my son learned to Wakeboard!!!

He had a Blast!
            Check out this 6yr old in action and the rest of us had fun too

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	1.33 MB ID:	437700Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	437701Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	437702Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	437704Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	358.7 KB ID:	437703

Comment

Working...
            X