trim tabs for wakeboarding?-gctid406252

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trim tabs for wakeboarding?-gctid406252

has anyone tried using the sx trim tabs on the 175br for wakeboarding? I have found our little boats put out the nicest wake right at 20 mph, but with a few people in the boat she won't consistently hold plane at that speed. anyone used these trim tabs for that scenario? do the tabs adversely effect the wake?

Thanks

I just bought a pair for my Capri 2050. I'll let you know how they work next time I get on the lake.

Comment

two_wheeled wrote:
      I just bought a pair for my Capri 2050. I'll let you know how they work next time I get on the lake.
      Thanks

Comment

Don't you get a better wake if it doesn't hold plane? In any event, think about redistributing your load - trim tabs add drag which is something a 3.0L doesn't need.

Comment

oldjeep wrote:
          Don't you get a better wake if it doesn't hold plane? In any event, think about redistributing your load - trim tabs add drag which is something a 3.0L doesn't need.
          I have tried redistributing weight numerous ways. The best wake is produced with a balance spread through the boat but with an emphasis in the stern. The problem is when you have 2 people in the rear of the boat and a person on a wakeboard doing under 22 mph, the boat slowly loses planes and sags down in the back. The trim tabs should help keep the boat on plane at slower speeds. And someone correct me if i'm wrong, but trim tabs keep the boat on plane more easily which helps decrease drag, atleast that is what the product claims, not to mention every person that has them says that is exactly what happens.

Comment

Seems odd that you would have trouble keeping planed at 22mph, mine stays at around 16MPH - but maybe having the 19ft helps. Trim tabs make the boat plane a little more quickly because they drag in the water which also kills your holeshot. They also suck if you have to back up much. For a boarder it might not matter but for a slalom skiier it would add to the pain of getting up.

Make sure that when you are reading peoples trim tab stories that you are looking at folks with little motors - not v8's.

Comment

oldjeep wrote:
              Seems odd that you would have trouble keeping planed at 22mph, mine stays at around 16MPH - but maybe having the 19ft helps. Trim tabs make the boat plane a little more quickly because they drag in the water which also kills your holeshot. They also suck if you have to back up much. For a boarder it might not matter but for a slalom skiier it would add to the pain of getting up.

Make sure that when you are reading peoples trim tab stories that you are looking at folks with little motors - not v8's.
              The 17's have almost no weight in the bow, so when you put weight in the stern it just lifts the bow way out of the water and causes the stern to drag. Popping up on a wakeboard doesnt take too much, so a little extra drag on the hole shot wouldnt be a huge deal.

Comment

oldjeep wrote:

I think we're talking apples and oranges here. Hydraulic trim tabs that are controlled from the helm can add drag if they are deployed continuously below the hull plane. Smart Tabs are spring loaded and not controllable from the helm. The Smart Tab initial position is below the plane of the hull. As the boat comes up to hull speed, the tab "deploys" upward until it rides on the surface of the water, parallel to the hull. At planing speeds the drag is minimal, the benefit is from the rotational "moment" (definition 7b: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/moment ) that keeps the bow down and the stern lifted. Yes there may be some additional drag until the tab fully deploys, but it is far outweighed by the decrease in bow rise and lift imparted to the stern, the end result is that holeshot is much faster and smoother. The boat literally shoots straight out of the water with a very constant acceleration, no "hump" to get over. At sub-planing speeds, the Smart Tabs do provide extra drag, exactly where you want it in the stern, thereby greatly decreasing bow wander. I've noticed no ill effects when backing up, but I haven't tried any reverse donuts either ha ha.

I've found that Smart Tabs do actually reduce minimum planing speed by a couple of MPH for a given load on my 175 with its little 3.0L motor. I don't believe thay have impacted the wake shape much. My hunch is that they would be a good add, and that you could use weight distribution to shape the wake more to your liking, with greater ease in holding on plane.

Comment

fish21121 wrote:
                  I think we're talking apples and oranges here. Hydraulic trim tabs that are controlled from the helm can add drag if they are deployed continuously below the hull plane. Smart Tabs are spring loaded and not controllable from the helm. The Smart Tab initial position is below the plane of the hull. As the boat comes up to hull speed, the tab "deploys" upward until it rides on the surface of the water, parallel to the hull. At planing speeds the drag is minimal, the benefit is from the rotational "moment" (definition 7b: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/moment ) that keeps the bow down and the stern lifted. Yes there may be some additional drag until the tab fully deploys, but it is far outweighed by the decrease in bow rise and lift imparted to the stern, the end result is that holeshot is much faster and smoother. The boat literally shoots straight out of the water with a very constant acceleration, no "hump" to get over. At sub-planing speeds, the Smart Tabs do provide extra drag, exactly where you want it in the stern, thereby greatly decreasing bow wander. I've noticed no ill effects when backing up, but I haven't tried any reverse donuts either ha ha.

I've found that Smart Tabs do actually reduce minimum planing speed by a couple of MPH for a given load on my 175 with its little 3.0L motor. I don't believe thay have impacted the wake shape much. My hunch is that they would be a good add, and that you could use weight distribution to shape the wake more to your liking, with greater ease in holding on plane.
                  Much obliged for the info. Everything i have read was just confirmed by your personal experience. The biggest problem i have with this little boat is lack of weigt in the bow. With any decent amount of weight in the stern the boat drags through the water and wont hold plane. Weight in the stern produces the biggest wake but planing is what gives the wake its nice shape. From what you said the smart tabs will allow me to plane at a lower speed which is exactly what i'm looking for. Now for a 400 lb. Ballast bag in the front and i'll be set :-)

Comment

whitey382 wrote:
                    Much obliged for the info. Everything i have read was just confirmed by your personal experience. The biggest problem i have with this little boat is lack of weigt in the bow. With any decent amount of weight in the stern the boat drags through the water and wont hold plane. Weight in the stern produces the biggest wake but planing is what gives the wake its nice shape. From what you said the smart tabs will allow me to plane at a lower speed which is exactly what i'm looking for. Now for a 400 lb. Ballast bag in the front and i'll be set :-)
                    Whitey,

Glad youfound the info useful. I hear ya on the ride effect when stern weighted, but I think you will find you won't need the bow ballast bag with the Smart Tabs. Huge overall handling improvement. Like night and day.

If you do go for Smart Tabs, be sure to order the ones with 40 lb actuators, many here including me believe that is the best size for the 175. And call Nauticus customer service to get them to send you (free) special lower strut clevis pins necessary for a 175 installation. The Nauticus literature points to 60 lb actuators for a boat in the size range of a 175, but that is too much. I believe this is due to the somewhat unique geometry of the 175 transom, which causes the upper strut bracket to be located in a different plane from the tab lower hinge bracket. Do a search to see much previous discussion, some of it within the last few months.

Jim

Comment

fish21121 wrote:

Thank you sir

Comment

oldjeep wrote:
                        I found that when I fitted the SX smart tabs that it flattened my wake out which was good for skiing but not for wakeboarding.

So now I trim out a bit and get the stern to drop in a bit deeper to curl the wake.

Mine is a bigger hull and motor than yours though.

Comment

Danny wrote:
                          I found that when I fitted the SX smart tabs that it flattened my wake out which was good for skiing but not for wakeboarding.

So now I trim out a bit and get the stern to drop in a bit deeper to curl the wake.

Mine is a bigger hull and motor than yours though.
                          big thing with wakeboarding is you need a nice formed wake, a bunch of whitewash doesn't do you anygood because there is no lip get air off of. That's what happends when the boat is not on plane, its a whitewash mess. Although the wake flattens out when the boat hits plane, it actually produces a better wake for jumping off of

Comment

I thought I would give an update on the trim tabs for wakeboarding crowd. Got the first use out of the sx trim tabs today set at 3. First of all, wow, it's like a whole new boat. All the quirks that come with a small boat seem to dissipate. I picked up a couple MPH at the top end, I hit 38 mph at 5000 rpm's. Before I was around 36-37 mph. She holds plane easier and handles the chop MMUUUCCHH better. As for the wakeboarding goes, I found the wake to have much nice form and it was much more firm as well. I was getting easier pop off the wake than without the tabs. My wife was driving with me on the board but she said she was able to hold 20 MPH with mom-in-law and the dogs in the back, things we would not have been able to do before the tabs. All in all, I love them. I bumped the setting on the tabs up to 4 to see the boat achieves even better driveability.

Only draw backs were on full up trim the boat developed a real solid port steer. I adjusted the trim anode and will see if the issue has been resolved. The wife also said she could feel me on the wakeboard a little bit more, especially in the steering wheel. Nothing untolerable but she did notice it. I will post results after tomorrow, going out for probably the last trip of the year.

Comment

So I took her out today with the trim tabs set to 4. I lost 1 mph off the top end and probably 2 mph thru the mid range, so our 175's definitely like setting 3 the best. The biggest plus from these trim tabs is the slow speed planing. If I had 4 people in the boat pre-trim tabs I had to have 2 in the bow just to hold plane at 22 mph. Now I can have no one in the bow boat of the boat, 3 people in the cockpit and hold plane with a boarder in the water at 16 mph. Huge difference. Like i said before, the wake is cleaner and tighter and a bigger wake can be achieved because I can weight the stern of the boat and not the bow.

And the port steer was corrected by moving the trailing edge of the trim anode to the left. I turned it to the max built in adjustment range (somewhere around 10 degrees). The steering is now nice and balanced with no pull.

Comment

Working...
                              X