cost to replace lower unit?-gctid406221

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cost to replace lower unit?-gctid406221

i was getting gas today in my 07 bayliner 175 and a guy came over to check out my boat. said he has an 88 bayliner 2 something , cant remember model. showed me pics and its totally done over. anyway he said he had to get a new lower unit and it cost 4k dollars. is this true and how long does a lower unit usually last? thought that was crazy.

The '88 has an OMC, not manufactured anymore. Still, $4G's sounds high, unless freshly rebuilt, and then still high. Kinda sounds like an insurance deal to me.

You have the Merc Alpha One Gen 2 . New lower replacement, figure about $1500 or so for a Merc. SEI (sterndrive engineering) makes an exact clone for Merc Alphas with a very good reputation. Figure about $800 for one of those.

Comment

As Tbear said, seems pretty steep for price! Here in Canada, I priced out lower units because I don't like the nic's and scrapes on mine, $1000 for refurbished or $2000 brand new, so similar to Tbear's prices. Perhaps there is more to the story and buddy paid that for a complete upper and lower unit?

Comment

The lower unit will last practically forever if you take care of it (check and change the drive lube annually).

The OMC's like to eat gears if the shift cable isn't adjusted correctly and replacement gearsets are really expensive. Finding someone who wants to and knows how to work on them isn't easy either.

Comment

are those prices for labor also? if so much better than 4 grand. also person i bought boat from said shift into gear fast.. is this correct? thanks for info. all

Comment

also person i bought boat from said shift into gear fast.. is this correct?
            Yes, that is correct. Or as like to say "shift with authority"

No dilly dally gear grinding or you will..........:sorrow:
            " WET EVER "
            1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
            mmsi 338108404
            mmsi 338124956
            "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

NUTSY wrote:
              also person i bought boat from said shift into gear fast.. is this correct? thanks for info. all
              That's one way to describe it. More like shift cleanly so that there is a solid thunk and no grinding. If you too shift slowly, the gears rub (grind) and that is not good for them.

Comment

Working...
              X