Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

potential new Bayliner 175 owner

Hello All,

This would would be my first purchase of any sort of boat I have had a jet ski in the past but it was brand new... As a used boat i'm sure there is plenty of different things to check... I was wondering what I should look for and also if this appears to be a good deal... Thank you so much!

2008 Bayliner 175 (said 350 hours) (8grand with trailer)

Hi I have a 2013 175 absolutely love it paid 12k for mine 2 years ago. Hope you enjoy her

Comment

Where did the 350 hour number come from? That boat did not, I think, come with a standard hour meter.

8000 sounds right for my area if the boat is in good shape. Too many things to list to check. Best to either hire a surveyor to give it the once over, or bring a boat-experienced friend to check it out. You need to check the outdrive for wear and/or neglect, motor (wear, neglect, freeze damage), floor and transom for rot, look for repaired damage, check out the trailer.....people make careers out of marine surveying......

Comment

just an update! I have purchased the boat!! I have sent it to the custom shop here to get a snap cover installed! I cant wait to put my beauty in the water, I have seen people comment about "Smart Tabs" are they worth it for the 175?

Also the 350 hours were just his estimate from his use.

Comment

YOu could invest in Mercury's VesselView Mobile. Connect to your merc and using your smart phone you could see how many hours your engine really has if this is something you really want to know.

Comment

I don't believe the 175's engine setup works with VesselView. I checked into it last year and didn't appear to have the SmartCraft connections required. I assume it's not just mine!

As for SmartTabs, I've sure noticed a difference on my boat since installing them last year. Planing is much quicker, even with extra weight in the boat, with less bow rise. Didn't really notice a difference in overall speed in my case (some would say that's good?) but I admit we failed to take accurate readings from GPS as I had intended to do. Between the standard gauge and 'feel' we lost nothing at the top end. Mounting can be a bit tricky as we have a hump on the transom where the actuators need to mount, but Nauiticus provides directions on how to handle this and it seems to be working so far. I'll defer to someone who may have more experience in this area though as I've only had the opportunity to have the boat out on the water a few times since we added the tabs.

With or without the tabs, it's fun little boat. there's typically 4 of us on our boat when we go out and it's been great for running around the local lakes/rivers, towing the kids on tubes and doing some water skiing. We have the swim platform which adds a couple feet off the back and has been GREAT for boarding and as a place for the kids hang out.
            2017 Bayliner 175.
            Portland, OR

Comment

+1 on the SmartTabs. Much improved time to plane and steering at low speed (reduced bow wander). No loss of speed at high end.
              Lake Memphremagog, Newport, VT
              2015 Bayliner 175 BR
              Mercruiser 135/3.0 MPI Alpha One

Comment

Originally posted by EDunn View Post
                just an update! I have purchased the boat!! I have sent it to the custom shop here to get a snap cover installed! I cant wait to put my beauty in the water, I have seen people comment about "Smart Tabs" are they worth it for the 175?

Also the 350 hours were just his estimate from his use.
                I had a 2006 175 and I installed smart tabs. It made a world of difference in performance by keeping the bow down on a holeshot.
                2003 Bayliner 245
                2007 Sedona F21

Comment

Working...
                X