2012 Bayliner 160OB adding electronics-gctid405063

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 Bayliner 160OB adding electronics-gctid405063

Hello folks -my first post here. Will be taking delivery of my new 160OB (60hp) bowrider next week. Purchased a Garmin 421s gps/ depthsounder, and intend on installing it myself. Can anyone give me an idea of where to attatch the power cable? Is there a convenient place to connect at the fusebox or does one need to purchase a harness adaptor? I would also like to add a 12v powerpoint. Any advice on where to make these connections would be appreciated!

On my 180 we simply tapped into power and ground available right behind the dash (there is no "fusebox" per se). I added a 12v adapter to the passenger side, and I tapped into the radio power and ground for that. The driver side already had a 12v outlet.

Westeagle wrote:
    Hello folks -my first post here. Will be taking delivery of my new 160OB (60hp) bowrider next week. Purchased a Garmin 421s gps/ depthsounder, and intend on installing it myself. Can anyone give me an idea of where to attatch the power cable? Is there a convenient place to connect at the fusebox or does one need to purchase a harness adaptor? I would also like to add a 12v powerpoint. Any advice on where to make these connections would be appreciated!

Comment

My depth guage is tapped off the fuse panel under the dash, just make sure you are using inline fuses when you tap the power .

Comment

Thanks for the good info folks!

Comment

I just bought a 2012 Bayliner 185, and while I didn't look that closely at the OB models, all the ones I did look at had an "accessory" switch on the dash. That's your 12Vdc right there for things like a fish finder.

Comment

Although you do not mention it be very careful in how and where you install any transom mounted sounding transducer. A poor installation can result in water intrusion into the transom. Also placement is important for optimum performance.

There are ways of mounting a transom transducer without drilling below the water line screw holes.
            Jim McNeely
            New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
            Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
            Brighton, Michigan USA
            MMSI # 367393410

Comment

The OB's do not have an accessory switch. At least all the '12's I saw on my dealer lot.

Cave Bear wrote:
              I just bought a 2012 Bayliner 185, and while I didn't look that closely at the OB models, all the ones I did look at had an "accessory" switch on the dash. That's your 12Vdc right there for things like a fish finder.

Comment

JimMc wrote:
                Although you do not meantion it be very careful in how and where you install any transom mounted sounding transducer. A poor installation can result in water intrusion into the transom. Also placement is important for optimum performance.

There are ways of mounting a transom transducer without drilling below the water line screw holes.
                Will look at this carefully -thanks!

Comment

JeffBowser wrote:
                  The OB's do not have an accessory switch. At least all the '12's I saw on my dealer lot.
                  Apparently there is no accessory outlet on the 16 footer.

With the helpful info here, I foresee adding one should not be too difficult (although it will likely take twice the expected amount of time to install, as is usually the case!)

Comment

I have a 12 adapter on mine that was dealer installed, it looks like it would be a snap to DIY in the garage.

Comment

There should be a fuse panel behind your gauge cluster,tap into that using a inline fuse adapter. As far as mounting your transducer,think about it a LONG TIME. You can mount it in your bilge or externally. If you mount it externally keep it away from the engine as far as possiable and be generous with the 3M 4200 in the screw hoses and the screws themselves.

Comment

FISHIN00 wrote:
                        There should be a fuse panel behind your gauge cluster,tap into that using a inline fuse adapter. As far as mounting your transducer,think about it a LONG TIME. You can mount it in your bilge or externally. If you mount it externally keep it away from the engine as far as possiable and [FONT]arial black wrote:
                        be generous with the 3M 4200 in the screw hoses and the screws themselves[/FONT].
                        Or don't drill any below the waterline holes in the boat.

Here is what I did as a retrofit this spring.

http://"http://www.baylinerownersclu...t<br /> <br />In the future this would be the way I would install a transom transducer.

----------

If you decide you just can't resist drilling below the water line holes be sure to use a penetrating epoxy to seal the wood within. Also do not drill any deeper than necessary. Holes drilled very low on the transom MIGHT not penetrate into the interior wood in the transom.
                        Jim McNeely
                        New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
                        Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
                        Brighton, Michigan USA
                        MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Aside from the small area immediately backing the outboard mounting plate, there is no wood in the transom of these boats. Fiberglass all the way through

JimMc wrote:
                          Or don't drill any below the waterline holes in the boat.

Here is what I did as a retrofit this spring.

http://"http://www.baylinerownersclu...t<br /> <br />In the future this would be the way I would install a transom transducer.

----------

If you decide you just can't resist drilling below the water line holes be sure to use a penetrating epoxy to seal the wood within. Also do not drill any deeper than necessary. Holes drilled very low on the transom MIGHT not penetrate into the interior wood in the transom.

Comment

Working...
                          X