so frustrated-gctid404490

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so frustrated-gctid404490

ok ive been reading on here a lot about different props and whats right for who.i need to swap my prop out badly and i cant figure out what i have on it now.the numbers are as follows 18 78 120 18.thats all i can read on it.ive got a 95 capri ls with a 3.0 merc. we do a good bit of tubing and skiing and then the rest of the time we ancor out and relax.can someone tell me what i need so i can get a freakin prop for the boat.i have no clue what to get as i am clueless about pitch and whatnot.i just want numbers so i can place an order.thanks everyone

You are reading the number wrong

Pretty sure it actually says 48-78120-19

PROP NO. PITCH

48-78112-11 11

48-78114-13 13

48-78116-15 15

48-78118-17 17

48-78120-19 19

48-78122-21 21

48-78124-23 23

Comment

i might be but im almost positive the first and last numbers are 18 but ill double check again.

Comment

JGS107 wrote:
        i might be but im almost positive the first and last numbers are 18 but ill double check again.
        If they are it would be one heck of a coincidence that the rest of it matches an actual mercury marine part number for your boat

Comment

So you think I have a 19 pitch prop. If that is the case is this a good prop to keep with the activities we do or should I get a different pitch. Thanks for the help

Comment

http://www.piranha.com/prop_search.php
            Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

has anyone used one of those pirana props.looks like a good idea to be able to sway out blades in an emergency but how reliable are they and cost wise

Comment

JGS107 wrote:
                has anyone used one of those pirana props.looks like a good idea to be able to sway out blades in an emergency but how reliable are they and cost wise
                I'm not sure why anyone uses those pirrana things unless they boat in 2 ft of water with a gravel bottom. Price wise they are around $150

Some interesting test results here:

http://www.acepropeller.com/composite.asp

The big one to me is that they are inferior in acceleration when compared with a Merc Black Max which is arguably the most basic non performing prop you can buy.

19 pitch 3 blade should be good if you need more holeshot than top speed, normally stock with a 3.0L would have been a 21.

If you are looking for even better holeshot than I'd consider a Solas Amita 4 blade prop in a 17 or 19 pitch

Comment

GReat tha is for the info. I believe I know what I need now

Comment

Hi Mate,

I am also going through this dilemma of what prop to purchase to stick onto my Alpha one 3.0L . I do much the same as yourself; plenty of skiing, tubing, boarding ect... So I'm after something that will pull people out of the hole easily. I often have a fully loaded boat with 5/6 people onboard with one in tow so something that gets up on the plane easily is a MUST.

So my current prop is a Quicksilver Laser II in 21p Stainless steel.... Its great on the top end but getting it there is a headache!

After doing much research on here and other boating forums I have decided to settle on a Stilleto Advantage II in 19P as this is what many recommend for my 175 with a 3L for water sports and a general all round prop.

Now you have 2 different options with the Stilleto Advantage II prop, you can buy it with a interchangeable rubber (to protect your gears if you hit the prop) or with the hub already installed in it.

Here is a link to the replaceable hub type, you want the one with the part number 800319-501;

http://www.dansdiscountprops.com/BuyNow/stilettoA.cfm

And here is a link to the inbuilt hub version;

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Mer...****=642066583

hope this helps

Comment

Unless you are running in salt - stainless is a waste of money on a 3.0L Engine doesn't have enough power to flex an aluminum prop.

Comment

I do run in Salt and my current prop is Stainless... Don't want to be going backwards ;-)

Comment

Yea I believe based on what everyone has said I'm going to with a 19 pitch prop. anyone know of a good site for a good price

Comment

JGS107 wrote:
                            Yea I believe based on what everyone has said I'm going to with a 19 pitch prop. anyone know of a good site for a good price
                            If you just want a Merc/quicksilver 3 blade then the best thing to do is a websearch on the current part number. Who has the best price/shipping seems to change on a daily basis. Prop should be around $100 with a hub kit.

QA1916X - quicksilver

(48-832830A45) - merc

Comment

Awesome thanks for the part numbers and all the help

One last question what is the first measurement 14 1/2" is that the diameter from blade to blade.

Comment

Working...
                              X