No announcement yet.

Fuel Grades-gctid404385

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i also grew up with carbs going onto 20+ years in the auto industry(merchanic) but have adopted quite well with new tech.as for chucks comments a old 3l or a 5.7l chev/mercruiser is not designed to run e85.they are a old syle engines in general dont run a high compression ratio they will run on any thing with side affects,but if you remove the carb ,fit efi/ignition the same motor on the same old **** e10 or e85 in aus it is differant would run like a dream

Comment

tassjo wrote:
      i also grew up with carbs going onto 20+ years in the auto industry(merchanic) but have adopted quite well with new tech.as for chucks comments a old 3l or a 5.7l chev/mercruiser is not designed to run e85.they are a old syle engines in general dont run a high compression ratio they will run on any thing with side affects,but if you remove the carb ,fit efi/ignition the same motor on the same old **** e10 or e85 in aus it is differant would run like a dream
      None of mercurys motors are designed to run E85. There is a lot more to running an engine on E85 than just having fuel injection.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/service...tegory=ethanol

Are Mercury engines compatible with ethanol fuels?

The fuel-system components of Mercury engines will withstand up to 10 percent ethanol in gasoline - the maximum level currently allowed by the EPA in the U.S. There are some efforts to establish E-20 (20 percent ethanol mixed with 80 percent gasoline) for use in some areas, but that will require agreement from EPA to grant a waiver. Part of the EPA waiver process will require verification from studies that demonstrate that higher levels of ethanol do not create problems with fuel-system materials or operation of hardware. E-20 has not been extensively studied by Mercury and is not acceptable for use in Mercury products. E-85 fuels must not be used in any Mercury engines and could seriously damage current Mercury products. It is not legal in the U.S. to market any ethanol fuel as gasoline if it contains more than 10 percent ethanol.

Comment

in aus the only prob we have is some of the rubber hoses .the motors run on e85 with no prob.i ride a cr1000rr & we go to some country town all they have is e85 you can put it in or start pushing its your call

Comment

oldjeep wrote:
          None of mercurys motors are designed to run E85. There is a lot more to running an engine on E85 than just having fuel injection.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/service...tegory=ethanol

Are Mercury engines compatible with ethanol fuels?

The fuel-system components of tMercury engines will withstand up to 10 percent ethanol in gasoline - the maximum level currently allowed by the EPA in the U.S. There are some efforts to establish E-20 (20 percent ethanol mixed with 80 percent gasoline) for use in some areas, but that will require agreement from EPA to grant a waiver. Part of the EPA waiver process will require verification from studies that demonstrate that higher levels of ethanol do not create problems with fuel-system materials or operation of hardware. E-20 has not been extensively studied by Mercury and is not acceptable for use in Mercury products. E-85 fuels must not be used in any Mercury engines and could seriously damage current Mercury products. It is not legal in the U.S. to market any ethanol fuel as gasoline if it contains more than 10 percent ethanol.
          In addition, one of the big reasons not to run e85 is the fuel system is not designed to handle the ethanol. Ethanol will deteriorate a normal fuel system causing an unsafe condition where a fuel line (rubber) could break causing an engine fire. Same goes for cars, unless you have a flex fuel vehicle do not use e85 in your boat or car

Comment

whitey382 wrote:
            In addition, one of the big reasons not to run e85 is the fuel system is not designed to handle the ethanol. Ethanol will deteriorate a normal fuel system causing an unsafe condition where a fuel line (rubber) could break causing an engine fire. Same goes for cars, unless you have a flex fuel vehicle do not use e85 in your boat or car
            The real issue is that the air/fuel map in most efi systems is not designed to cover E85 and the fuel system is not designed to handle the additional fuel delivery needs when running E85. So you will wind up running the motor lean enough to smoke it.

Comment

my boat which is a bayliner 192 and has stickers all over it does say not to use e85

,on the other hand i have a 5 year old aus built car and can run on e85 ,i think the usa are covering all bases.the only prob with e85 is if you let it sit

.were i am we use the boat all year

Comment

oldjeep wrote:
                The real issue is that the air/fuel map in most efi systems is not designed to cover E85 and the fuel system is not designed to handle the additional fuel delivery needs when running E85. So you will wind up running the motor lean enough to smoke it.
                Both reasons are the real issues. Look at the fuel lines in my flex fuel escape vs a regular escape, different materials and thats because a regular fuel system isnt designed for ethanol heavier mixtures

Comment

Working...
                X