Drain plug-gctid403762

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drain plug-gctid403762

just bought my 1st boat, a 2007 bayliner 175. will have to get some pics. hopefully tomorrow will my my 1st day out, kinda nervouse. dont know much about anything with boats. question is the cable that holds the drain plug at back bottom of boat is frayed and i dont want to lose plug. how do i fix this? new plug? also boat has an extended warranty. is this covered? thanks.

Good luck on your first time out! Do you have spare plugs? It's always a good idea to keep atleast one spare on hand.

Comment

NUTSY wrote:
      just bought my 1st boat, a 2007 bayliner 175. will have to get some pics. hopefully tomorrow will my my 1st day out, kinda nervouse. dont know much about anything with boats. question is the cable that holds the drain plug at back bottom of boat is frayed and i dont want to lose plug. how do i fix this? new plug? also boat has an extended warranty. is this covered? thanks.
      You could get some new cable and a couple crimps at the hardware store. Or bayliner/mercruiser probabally sells the oil drain line/ bilge drain plug assembly as a unit.

Comment

CNY750Rider wrote:
        Good luck on your first time out! Do you have spare plugs? It's always a good idea to keep atleast one spare on hand.
        thanks for replies. spare spark plugs?

Comment

Hi Champ,

Mine is exactly the same on my 2006 175 the cable was frayed when I go it so I just remove the bung like any other boat that doesnt have a bung retention system and put it in the the passenger glove box :-) You could easily buy some cable and crimps and re-do it.... If you do make sure you put a fishing swivel on each end to reduce the chance of it happening again when it twists from being done and un-done. I havnt opted for this method as I WOULD HATE to drive an hour to the ramp and have mates and all lined up to arrive and its fallen off.

Food for thought ;-)

Comment

NUTSY wrote:
            thanks for replies. spare spark plugs?
            No he means a spare drain plug... in saying that I carry my previous set of plugs with me in my tool kit for JUSTIN....

Comment

thanks Kidafa, VERY GOOD ADVICE.

Comment

i just went the cheap (ok, free since i had it lying around) redneck route and used some solid electrical wire...been fine for 3 yrs now

Comment

get used to driving the boat about and when coming close to land raise the drive so the prop is just below surface as dinging the prop is costly.winterize the boat if it freezes over the winter and practice mooring by picking up a buoy in a controlled manner.if you have young children aboard make sure they wear buoyancy aids as you being the skipper will be responsible.insurance may be legally required so make sure your covered.

now go and familiarize yourself with boat.it may take a few months to master.

Comment

You shouldn't leave the plug dangling by the cable when towing - it sits nicely on the trim lines when you run the retaining cable between them. I do carry an extra plug in the boat but havn't had any issues with the one connected to the drain line.

Comment

CNY750Rider wrote:
                      +1 on spare drain plugs. They are not expensive, and can really save a spoiled outing if you lost the only one.

Comment

You don't have to go get one from a boat place either, just go to the hardware store and buy a pipe plug. It's just a brass pipe plug, nothing more. You'll probably want to keep a cheap stubby 3/4" wrench handy on the boat for putting it in and out. I wouldn't worry much about having some sort of keeper hooked to it either, just carry a spare in the glove box. If you get out on the water and discover your stern is sitting a bit too low you are going to have to do a bit of swimming either way. if you want to keep your boat from falling apart keep it covered and the rain out. Having the floor slowly rot out from rainwater due to leaving it uncovered is a lot more likely to kill your boat than forgetting the plug, it just takes longer.

Comment

dingdongs wrote:
                          get used to driving the boat about and when coming close to land raise the drive so the prop is just below surface as dinging the prop is costly.winterize the boat if it freezes over the winter and practice mooring by picking up a buoy in a controlled manner.if you have young children aboard make sure they wear buoyancy aids as you being the skipper will be responsible.insurance may be legally required so make sure your covered.

now go and familiarize yourself with boat.it may take a few months to master.
                          you may want to check to find what the minimum saftey gear you need to carry on board such as flares ,bailing cans, throw rope, pfds, the list depends where you boat. In our area, B.C. we need a operators card as well.

Have Fun with the new Toy and Welcome to Boating

BC Steve

2008 185 BR

Comment

Working...
                          X