X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bennyboy1563
    replied
    Hi 85Capri1650,

sorry for the very late reply! I think the glass is definitely needed because resin on its own is just brittle rather than strong so you’ll just be causing issues down the road. The glass adds the strength and rigidity to allow the gel coat on top to give a good finish and not just crack when you go out for the first time! The other reason you’re doing this is because your wood floor has rotted or gone spongy so it too is probably way flexier than it was originally... again an issue with cracking.

I found the YouTube channel ‘Boatworks Today’ absolutely invaluable as a guide for how to achieve the finish I eventually did! Would I do it again? Yes probably but now that I know what I have learned during the process and how long it took; it is absolutely worth doing correctly first time!!! If you’re the kind of guy who cuts corners then I’d really think twice before starting the job as it’s a proper labour of love!!!

good luck!
    Ben

Leave a comment:

• 85Capri1650
    commented on 's reply
    That floor looks great! Inspiration to do mine that way instead of just laying down new carpeting. Did you have to do the glass or do you think just resin be ok then the gelcoat?

• Bennyboy1563
    replied
    Finished my floor!

two to three layers of glass and a lot of gelcoat in the end; probably 10 kgs by the time I'd sanded and repeated 3 times...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8466.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	486771

Leave a comment:

• Bennyboy1563
    replied
    Doing this exact same thing with my 185BR now will keep you updated with progress.

I do have a question for the pros though... I have a little damp rot on the surface. after a good sand and prep I intend to put down a coat or two of (Ronseal?) wood hardener before glassing and cannot get epoxy resin so have bought Poly resin instead with a gelcoat to top it off.

6 Kgs of resin and 6 kgs of white gelcoat... 6 square meters of thick chop strand fibre for the same size floor space.

Will the wood hardener be ok under the resin or should I just coat the deck in diluted resin first as a primer?
    Oh and how the hell do I get under the front bowrider (fibreglass) cap without inviting the cap at the rubbing strip... I do not want to do this!!!

Any advice greatly recieved.

Leave a comment:

• Floaty_Prime
    replied
    How's the project going? I'm looking to do this exact same thing on my 2005 192.

Leave a comment:

• green650
    replied
    Originally posted by Rockrunner14 View Post
    Here is rh carpet I’m taking out and what appears to be one layer of fiberglass under the carpet.
    You don’t even need fiberglass. Fiberglass is just to add strength. I would just brush on resin to waterproof the plywood since Bayliner went really skimpy with the resin.

Leave a comment:

• Knoxie89
    replied
    Did you wind up taking the carpet out? How did replacement go?

Leave a comment:

• Rockrunner14
    replied
    Here is rh carpet I’m taking out and what appears to be one layer of fiberglass under the carpet.

Leave a comment:

• Rockrunner14
    commented on 's reply
    If I can figure out how to post pictures I will. I have most of the carpet out. The wood seems to be covered in resin and a layer of fiberglass. I can see the fibers in the glass. Should I sand to get any glue remnants off and put on another coat of fiberglass?

• Rockrunner14
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks!

• Rockrunner14
    commented on 's reply
    Great. Thanks! I have a 4.3 mercruiser. Love the boat, just want to take out the old carpet! I'll post some photos after I pull out the carpet. hopefully this weekend!

• green650
    replied
    I peeled the carpet off my 1993 Bayliner 1952 cuddy and then glassed the floor and then applied a roll on deck coating from lowes.
    I used used a belt sander with 50 grit on the flat areas, a 6 inch disc sander with a 50 grit wheel on the not so flat areas, and a 4.5" angle grinder with cupped wire wheel and sanding discs on tight areas. Then I lathered it with polyester resin and layed down a layer of fiberglass and more resin. I believe I used 2 gallons. It's much easier than doing surfboards. No precision or skill really required here.
    After it cured I rolled on the deck coating from lowes. That was about $70 for a 3 gallon can. The resin is around $35 a gallon at Walmart. The fiberglass I bought online, much cheaper than going to your local marine store.

Leave a comment:

• ewanw02
    replied
    That is a total steal even for a 2000 boat! What motor is it?

Fiberglass is easy to do, but it took a full day to lay - make sure you wear a mask/PPE!
    I've done mine with DIY plasteak sheeting but you could get a pro kit made up.. Mine cost very little to do though!

You got any pictures of the current situ?

Leave a comment:

• Rockrunner14
    replied
    I got it for the steal of $2K. Although it is a 2000 it sat in my neighbors garage for 12 years. Only had 10 hours on it!

how hard was laying fiberglass? How long did it take? I’m fairly handy so I will try most things. Certainly won’t pay the guy $3K tomdo the work!

Leave a comment:

• ewanw02
    replied
    I Did sand the floor first, Used a rough belt sander though, Just to clean up the surface and remove the carpet glue! Took no more than 2 hours!
    Then instead of sealing the floor I used the fiberglass resin to give the whole floor a coat before starting to lay the fibreglass matting.

$3,000 seems a lot to me... how much is the boat worth?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X