Prepping floor to Install Seadek in 2000 1850LX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prepping floor to Install Seadek in 2000 1850LX

i want to take out the carpet and install Seadek instead. I have a 2000 1850LX. Floor is in great condition, no replacement or repair needed, but I need to seal and coat it to install the Seadek. A Fiberglass company wants $3,000 to do the floor. That’s too much money! Has anyone sealed and put a clear coat down before? How difficult of a project will it be?

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Kristi

Kristi, I presume the existing flooring is fibreglass already. If so, I wouldn't waste your money. I had Seadek put down in the lasserette area of my 4788 over f/g decktred, so the product is only touching say 50% of a bond surface. I was initially concerned that it wouldn't stay down, but 12 mths later, there are no issues. The only floorprep required was a good clean followed by a clean with acetone.

If you have carpet, ripping that up and cleaning off the crud, possibly alight sand smooth, then the acetone clean should be all that's needed.

Good luck. Cheers
    John H
    Brisbane QLD Aust
    "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

Agree with John. I did a DIY Seadek installation. Light sand and a proper clean. (using non- residue cleaning product) The Seadek covers any imperfections or damage without any issues. Don't spend money on something that you will essentially seal and cover with Seadek. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7763.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	417635Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7766.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	417636
      1992 Bayliner Trophy 2502 WA
      2010 Twin Suzuki 140 HP OB's
      "Always finding improvement projects on this old lady..."

Comment

• Rockrunner14
        Rockrunner14 commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t have a finished floor like that. I’m
        Pretty sure when I pull up the carpet it will just be plywood under that. I will need to seal he plywood then coat with something so I can put down the Seadek.

My SeaDek was also installed on the non skid diamond pattern surface. A simple cleaning with spray nine and then some rubbing alcohol was more than enough. Has been 1 1/2 seasons so far and no issues whatsover. Best thing since sliced bread IMHO. See pictures in my signature.
      Cheers, Hans
      2007 Carver 41 CMY
      Twin Volvo D6-370
      Montreal, Canada
      Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Rockrunner14
        I'm guessing you will be in the same position as me! I have just done this!!

My boat is 2002 and it just had plywood under the carpet... Is yours the same??

Happy to pass on any advice if you are needing it!
        2002 Bayliner 195BR - 4.3 mercruiser EFI

Scotland, UK

Comment

• Rockrunner14
          Rockrunner14 commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m thinking under the carpet is just plywood. Any advise on what you did would be great! Thank you

I suspect yours will be the same as mine and plywood! I have stripped the carpet out, fibreglassed the floor then painted it!
        Am just preparing to put DIY-plasteak down now!

Let me know if you have specific questions?

Scotland, UK

Comment

Did you have to sand and seal the floor after you took out the carpet and before you did the fiberglass? The guy at the shop said I need to seal the wood first then put down fiberglass. Lots of prep and sanding. He made it sound like a really long process this the $3,000 price tag! Thanks!

Comment

I Did sand the floor first, Used a rough belt sander though, Just to clean up the surface and remove the carpet glue! Took no more than 2 hours!
            Then instead of sealing the floor I used the fiberglass resin to give the whole floor a coat before starting to lay the fibreglass matting.

$3,000 seems a lot to me... how much is the boat worth?

Scotland, UK

Comment

I got it for the steal of $2K. Although it is a 2000 it sat in my neighbors garage for 12 years. Only had 10 hours on it!

how hard was laying fiberglass? How long did it take? I’m fairly handy so I will try most things. Certainly won’t pay the guy $3K tomdo the work!

Comment

That is a total steal even for a 2000 boat! What motor is it?

Fiberglass is easy to do, but it took a full day to lay - make sure you wear a mask/PPE!
                I've done mine with DIY plasteak sheeting but you could get a pro kit made up.. Mine cost very little to do though!

You got any pictures of the current situ?

Scotland, UK

Comment

• Rockrunner14
                  Rockrunner14 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great. Thanks! I have a 4.3 mercruiser. Love the boat, just want to take out the old carpet! I'll post some photos after I pull out the carpet. hopefully this weekend!

• Rockrunner14
                  Rockrunner14 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If I can figure out how to post pictures I will. I have most of the carpet out. The wood seems to be covered in resin and a layer of fiberglass. I can see the fibers in the glass. Should I sand to get any glue remnants off and put on another coat of fiberglass?

I peeled the carpet off my 1993 Bayliner 1952 cuddy and then glassed the floor and then applied a roll on deck coating from lowes.
                I used used a belt sander with 50 grit on the flat areas, a 6 inch disc sander with a 50 grit wheel on the not so flat areas, and a 4.5" angle grinder with cupped wire wheel and sanding discs on tight areas. Then I lathered it with polyester resin and layed down a layer of fiberglass and more resin. I believe I used 2 gallons. It's much easier than doing surfboards. No precision or skill really required here.
                After it cured I rolled on the deck coating from lowes. That was about $70 for a 3 gallon can. The resin is around $35 a gallon at Walmart. The fiberglass I bought online, much cheaper than going to your local marine store.
                Esteban
                B-ham!
                Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Here is rh carpet I’m taking out and what appears to be one layer of fiberglass under the carpet.

Comment

Did you wind up taking the carpet out? How did replacement go?

Comment

Originally posted by Rockrunner14 View Post
                    Here is rh carpet I’m taking out and what appears to be one layer of fiberglass under the carpet.
                    You don’t even need fiberglass. Fiberglass is just to add strength. I would just brush on resin to waterproof the plywood since Bayliner went really skimpy with the resin.
                    Esteban
                    B-ham!
                    Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

How's the project going? I'm looking to do this exact same thing on my 2005 192.

Comment

Working...
                      X