Garboard Drain Plug -- 2005 205 BR-gctid403531

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garboard Drain Plug -- 2005 205 BR-gctid403531

Earlier this season I had some covers made for my 2005 205 BR. With the boat out of the water, the guy pulled the plug and then re-inserted it before putting it back in the water. After taking the boat out of the water last weekend, I attempted to remove the plug without success. I tried all of the tips from earlier posts without luck. So took the entire flange off and still couldn't remove the plug. I have now resorted to putting a new flange in the stern of the boat. I stopped at West Marine today and they couldn't match the flange that I brought it. The screws were off slightly and their flanges were slightly smaller. (2in, compared to slightly more than to inches on mine) Attwood makes what I thought was the correct part and Wal-Mart lists it online. Come to find out Wal-Mart just carries the plug and not the flange. Does anyone know where I can find the part at a brick and mortar retailer? I am suppose to be taking my Father in Law out fishing tomorrow, but need the flange/plug first.

It would be extremely difficult to help you as even IF someone lived near you and was familiar with local retailers, they wouldn't know it as you haven't shared what your location is

The only nationwide retailer I'm aware of is West Marine, now that Boaters World is closed. They will probably have one plug in stock, but it may not match. In a pinch, I would just reinstall yours with silicon on the back and in the screw holes temporarily for your day on the water.

Use teflon tape on the plug next time and it will seal better and it will be far easier to remove. When they get cranked in, and then sit for a while, they can be very difficult to remove, and then it's you with a wrench vs the three small screws that hold the flange to the boat.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Picking up the 2" flange tomorrow and installing that with new holes in the transom. I live outside of Charlottesville, Va and have a slip at Lake Anna. Spoke with Attwood and found out they stopped carrying the 2 1/8th flange. West Marine only carries the 2" flanges.

Comment

How have you tried removing the plug? Since you already took the assembly off the boat, just heat it up with a propane torch and then spray some penetrating oil on it. Let it cool and repeat. Should come out with no problems. Just make sure the plug isn't a steel pipe plug before you reinstall it.

Also when you reinstall the piece on the transom you are going to need to use a marine sealant so that you don't invite water into your transom core.

Comment

Working...
        X