Battrery Holds Charge For How Long?-gctid403372

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battrery Holds Charge For How Long?-gctid403372

Just wondering how long I can expect my standard battery (2009 Bayliner 175) to hold its charge. I've run the craft off and on this season and it started perfectly after winter storage and charging the battery before the first launch. I don't expect any problems -- it cranks great after using the boat and then not running for a few days, maybe a week). This next time the boat will have sat for a little over two weeks. I'm pretty sure I have let it set that long before and it didn't matter, but what is the "usual" amount of time a battery will hold a good charge? I would imagine a battery in good shape will stay charged much longer than two weeks, but I'm just curious what others might say on the subject. Thanks!

Well I would say that I'm the perfect example of what NOT to do but my battery is past the end of it's lifecycle so I don't maintain it like I once did.

My battery is the original that came in the boat (purchased March 2006) and all I've EVER done was take it in the house for the winter, and I don't even do that anymore. And my boat made it on the water one time in 2008 (deployment overseas and a PCS move all during the spring and summer). It made it to the lake once in 2009 (birth of our first child), didn't go at all in 2010 (deployment again), and has gotten quite a bit of use since. Still the original battery, don't maintain it, don't ever put it on a trickle charge, don't ever bring it in for the winter anymore (living in CO). I expect to need to replace it soon LOL but the lake I boat on is a bathtub (stupid tiny reservoirs in CO) so I figure I'll wait till it gives out.

Comment

It really depends on the.condition of the battery. I have 2 golf cart deep cycle batteries I bought new 4 years ago. They still have a full charge but they have never been cycled.

A battery in good condition if disconnected should hold a charge for months. If its connected to something it could have something drawing it down it could last months days or hours depending on the condition of the system.
      1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

yachtman wrote:
        It really depends on the.condition of the battery. I have 2 golf cart deep cycle batteries I bought new 4 years ago. They still have a full charge but they have never been cycled.

A battery in good condition if disconnected should hold a charge for months. If its connected to something it could have something drawing it down it could last months days or hours depending on the condition of the system.
        I agree.

The number of cycles, and the depth of each cycle, will determine an undefined battery life span.

You will no doubt be cycling your battery while using your boat.... but the important part, is bringing it back to a full SOC ASAP.

Try your best to not leave it in a state of discharge for any length of time.

If you question this, purchase a good battery maintenance charger that incorporates today's technology.

It will maintain the correct charge rate, it won't over charge, and it will extend battery life.

We're talking about a qualilty marine unit..... not something from Harbor Freight.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

My rule of thumb, no science or fact is 1% per day. Its very vague, heat, age etc all have an effect, but it works for me on my motorcycle1

Machog
          1996 4087 Lazy Days
          2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
          2011 Porsche Cayman
          2010 Lexus IS 250C
          2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

Working...
          X