potential New Owner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

potential New Owner

Hello guys I just wanted to get some opinions on current owners on the type of bayliner boat i should go for after I explain to you my situation. The boat would be based in Miami Florida. This would be my first boat I ever own and Im looking for a boat that I can grow with and improve my boating skills and what not. Also I would like to have a boat with the ability of one day once Im experienced enough to make it to bimini from miami which is about a 50 miles trip across about 3 hrs in ideal weather conditions. Obviously that would be with time and probably wouldn't even try it until i feel 100% comfortable with the boat and navigating that far. Mostly I would like to have a boat that's versatile with fishing, cruising around the florida keys, hanging out at the sandbars and one day potentially some offshore fishing and the above crossing to bimini. I was curently at the miami boat show and I ran into the element F18 and really liked the fishing capabilities and versatility. the only problem was the M hull which wouldn't be great for 3 ft or higher waves especially when offshoring fishing or crossing to Bimini. the F21 was even better but same issue with the HULL being the M hull. I started to look at bowriders models especially the new version of the VR4 and VR5 which come with the V shape hull and also has an option to add live well for fishing and rod holders etc. Welll let me know what you guys think and what you can suggest me i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Self bailing deck would be a must.... remember Gilligans 3 hour cruise....id go with center console OB for what ya want overall. Fishing, hanging at sandbar and deep water able....get the hard top for the SUV factor
    Current: 2008 H210SS Four Winns
    Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner

Comment

You wanna go 50NM across open ocean in a 20.5’, single engine boat? Hmmmmm, then what, a hotel? Can it be done, of course, as long as the sea is your friend. Personally I’d feel a lot more comfortable in a larger vessel with substantially more redundancy! YMMV
      Jim Gandee
      1989 3888
      Hino 175's
      Fire Escape
      Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

You can rule out a bowrider... they are rated for 6.5 foot max waves and that means you will not sink if those waves aren't breaking, you know exactly what your doing, there aren't any mechanical issues and you are wearing a kidney belt.

bigger center console offshore boats are more than capable if you got the electronics but can be a puckering experience. My bro had a 26foot Grady, twin 200s, radar -sonar-nav systems for offshore fishing but it's a sumbitch if storm kicks up.

Current: 2008 H210SS Four Winns
        Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner

Comment

Maybe something in the lines of a Formula 350CBR.....capable bowrider?
          Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
          2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
          1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
          1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
          1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
          1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
          1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
          1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

If it were me, I’d be looking at a cabin cruiser for your first boat.
            Something you can eat, shower, etc...

Even then with a single engine boat and a 50 mile crossing you would want to have a kicker, and maintain the powerplant to the 9’s.
            We used to take our 2859 and our 242/2452 out 70 miles from port regularly and had no problem doing that, once enough experience was gained to make sound decisons.

If thats not the direction you are thinking I would as others have indicated be looking at a center console style boat with twin outboards.
            The hulls on these style boats are designed for ocean sport fishing in reasonable weather and would be suitable for a 50 mile one way crossing in good weather.

I would NOT be considering a open style boat with a low freeboard for that kind of mission.

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY
            SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
              If it were me, I’d be looking at a cabin cruiser for your first boat.
              Something you can eat, shower, etc...

Even then with a single engine boat and a 50 mile crossing you would want to have a kicker, and maintain the powerplant to the 9’s.
              We used to take our 2859 and our 242/2452 out 70 miles from port regularly and had no problem doing that, once enough experience was gained to make sound decisons.

If thats not the direction you are thinking I would as others have indicated be looking at a center console style boat with twin outboards.
              The hulls on these style boats are designed for ocean sport fishing in reasonable weather and would be suitable for a 50 mile one way crossing in good weather.

I would NOT be considering a open style boat with a low freeboard for that kind of mission.
              AGREED. I would not take my bowrider out in the open ocean, but I did take my 2655 no worries at all.
              David
              1999 Bayliner 1750 Capri. 3l Mercruiser Alpha

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

I used to take a 18.5 ft. Searay bowrider out in the open ocean, but just for coastal and bay cruising. As others have said, for a 50 mile crossing, I'd want at least a 20+ ft. cuddy cabin, but if you can afford to start with a 24+ ft. cruiser, you'll be ahead of the game. Not to mention a whole lot more comfortable! And welcome to the BOC...
                Jeff & Tara
                (And Ginger too)
                Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                "Sea Ya"
                Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I think I would start looking at something like a bigger Boston Whaler.
                  Ted G
                  The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
                  Designers Edition
                  Mercury 350 Mag
                  290 Volvo DP

Comment

If your goal is to eventually cross to Bimini, then look into what others there are using. I think you will find they are closed bow catty cabin types and larger, mostly with twin engines. They also will travel in groups, aka buddy boating. There are boating and yacht clubs of all sorts around there and I encourage you to find one that fits you and yours. It’s as much about networking, local knowledge of great places to go and trading skills as anything.
                    One option would be to buy a “learning boat”. Smaller than you are going to want/need to go to Bimini, but one that you can hone your skills, make friends that own their own boats, but not such an investment that if the Admiral says “nope, not doing this” you can stand the economic loss. We did that nearly fourth years ago where the concern was how our two young sons would behave. If I’m going offshore, even here on Puget Sound, I want a self bailing walk around at a minimum. Bow riders are great, but imo, more for nice days on protected water.
                    P/C Pete
                    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                    MMSI 367770440
                    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Working...
                    X