Trailer problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer problems

Well, it's been awhile since I have been on here. In fact, I had to re-register. I am a former Bayliner owner who is now a Larson owner (1997 206 SEI) but I have always loved this forum and am sticking with it. Right at the tail end of boating season last year I had a bearing blow out on my trailer but fortunately I was close to home when it happened. I live in southern AL so the boating season here is pretty long and this was around October. I had considerable trouble getting the hub off as the spindle had swollen due to the heat, plus it was scarred. The closest place I could find to work on it was about 45 minutes away so I took the axle off and took it to him for repair. He fixed the spindle and hub so I put the axle back on and took the entire trailer to him to re-arch the axles and repack the bearings. I also took 2 tires to put on as well. He told me that he'd have it a week and he had it for 2 months. I finally told him that we had weather moving in and I had to get some antifreeze into the engine and I had to pick it up tomorrow fixed or not. He told me that it was fixed and he had been meaning to call and had gotten really busy. I went to pick it up and he had not put the tires on and in fact had thrown them in the bow and now my seats in the bow have permanent tire tracks on them. In addition, one of the tires on the trailer was flat. He aired it up and I left immediately while there was still daylight to winterize it. The boat has been sitting up since then and we have had some pretty cold and bad weather, especially for southern AL but a couple of days ago I pulled it out to start cleaning it up for the season. Yesterday I looked at the wheels and it doesn't look like the lugs have been taken off of the rear wheels in some time. The studs and lugs are rusted and look like they haven't been taken off. One of them even looked loose so I took a lug wrench and tried to loosen the lug and the stud broke. I called the guy a few minutes ago and he swears up and down that he did repack the bearings and the hubs can be re-studded and not replaced. My dilemma is I don't know if I should give the guy a second chance (if he did indeed not do the work the first time) or just replace the hubs myself. A couple of problems I have with that is I don't know the size but can take them off and find out, and I don't know how hard it will be to get the one off where the stud is broken. Any advice?

Todd

You need to select a different vendor.
    Mocoondo
    2002 Bayliner 195 Capri
    Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
    MMSI: 338091755

Comment

Agree. Take your loss and move on. Don't create another one.
      Started boating 1955
      Number of boats owned 32
      Bayliners
      3870 presently owned
      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I can't believe you're asking. Go check in a mirror. Maybe you have a target on your forehead. If not you need a new repair shop. Bearings aren't rocket surgery but you need to be able to trust that the job is done and done right. You can't with this guy.
        R.J.(Bob) Evans
        Buchanan, SK
        Cierra 2755
        Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
        Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

Thanks for the replies (especially Bob). I've been thinking about it and came to the same conclusion. There just aren't alot of options for a repair shop close by to where I live. I know a couple of guys who have used this shop and highly recommended him so maybe he just dropped the ball on mine. The fact that he screwed up my seats and didn't even bat an eye bothers me the most. I thought about giving him a second chance but I'm not going to this time.

Comment

Doing bearings, races and brakes is a very easy job. As a boat owner, you should learn how to do it and just do it yourself. That way, you don’t have to worry about someone else doing it wrong and messing up your equipment.
            Mocoondo
            2002 Bayliner 195 Capri
            Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
            MMSI: 338091755

Comment

I’d lose that character like a soiled pair of shorts! It’s things like that shows why many guys do their own particularly trailer work. It’s incredibly easy and with a little help from YouTube there’s not very many things you can’t figure out with a little research. Also in the future if you got a bunged up Axel make sure to always weigh it out against just buying a new replacement in swapping it out as opposed to paying some guy to work his magic on it. Nearly all of those trailer parts are generic so you can often just replace it with new much cheaper than screwing around with them trying to repair.
              Just remember when you’re jacking up the trailer that even with the boat and it’s pretty light and you can move it without too much effort. That’s the reason I don’t use jackstands. Either leave it hooked to the truck or the wheels blocked both ways with Wooden blocking like 6x6 or 8 x 8 If you’re going to be climbing around under there and yanking on things.

Comment

Yep lose that clown!
                To learn, go on to
                www.championtrailers.com
                look in the tech section, or
                www.etrailer.com
                has good vids.
                Easy though messy job.
                I learned on air cooled old school VWs back in the early 70s. What we have now is actually easier due to the posi-lube spindle design.
                88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

DO USE JACK STANDS !!!!! If you are getting under the trailer! Getting killed or injured just aint worth it!!
                  I use jack stands even if I am only removing only 1 wheel!! And I have a tandem axle trailer!!
                  Don
                  1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
                  1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
                  1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
                  10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
                  1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
                  "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

You have been given good advice above. At best, this shop is incompetent. At worst they/he is a liar and a thief (and incompetent). Don't go near them again....and send them the bill once you have the job done right (which they will not pay and for which you will have no real recourse).

Comment

We all have run into bad shops in the course of our boating life. There are many How To videos out there if you wish to do it your self. My last two trailers I just ordered new hubs pre assembled for right around $100. Always use jack stands when jacking up your trailer and never get under the trailer without them properly in place....EVER!

Comment

Someone else has already noted this but it bears repeating. Bearings are not hard to do. You really should learn how to do them and then check them at least annually. Personally I don't trust anyone to do my bearings except me or one specific son out of my three sons. I've been on the side of the road with burned out bearings - doing it myself is cheap insurance to keep that from ever happening again. I pull my boat trailer and fifth wheel bearings every spring, check them for wear and needle some new grease into the back bearings. I don't bother changing seals because I don't actually remove the back bearing unless its time to replace it. It probably takes all of 2 hours to do a tandem axle trailer so its not onerous by any means.
                        R.J.(Bob) Evans
                        Buchanan, SK
                        Cierra 2755

Comment

Thanks for all the advice everybody. I haven't been able to respond because I've been in the U.K. for the past couple of week visiting my daughter who is studying there this semester. A couple of weeks ago when I found this I thought of pulling the thing back down there and telling him to look me in the eye and tell me that the tires have been taken off, given the rust on the studs, and seeing if he would fix it like I paid him to do in the first place. I have decided that I'm just going to replace the hubs all around and be done with it. Boating season is about to start and I don't want him to have it a couple of more months, then get stuck on the side of the road with a bad hub again. I get the feeling that he isn't dishonest, just that he is highly unorganized. Most of his work is big stuff like trucks and RV busses so mine was a small job but still. Plus he messed up my seats. By the way, does anyone know any product that will get tire marks out of vinyl? I've tried soap and water, oxyclean and even bleach.

Comment

Originally posted by mckinneymt View Post
                            Plus he messed up my seats. By the way, does anyone know any product that will get tire marks out of vinyl? I've tried soap and water, oxyclean and even bleach.
                            My wife swears by Tide Magic Erasers. They are pretty remarkable - maybe not actually "magic" but remarkable nonetheless.
                            R.J.(Bob) Evans
                            Buchanan, SK
                            Cierra 2755

Comment

Originally posted by mckinneymt View Post
                              Thanks for all the advice everybody. I haven't been able to respond because I've been in the U.K. for the past couple of week visiting my daughter who is studying there this semester. A couple of weeks ago when I found this I thought of pulling the thing back down there and telling him to look me in the eye and tell me that the tires have been taken off, given the rust on the studs, and seeing if he would fix it like I paid him to do in the first place. I have decided that I'm just going to replace the hubs all around and be done with it. Boating season is about to start and I don't want him to have it a couple of more months, then get stuck on the side of the road with a bad hub again. I get the feeling that he isn't dishonest, just that he is highly unorganized. Most of his work is big stuff like trucks and RV busses so mine was a small job but still. Plus he messed up my seats. By the way, does anyone know any product that will get tire marks out of vinyl? I've tried soap and water, oxyclean and even bleach.
                              fantastic cleaner and magic eraser , then as soon as you wipe , the residue away , use a vynal protectant that is not petroleum based

allen
                              Bayliner Liberty 21.5 cuddy

Comment

Working...
                              X