Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra Battery

Hi all!

I'm looking to mount an extra battery in my VR6 for accessories, pot puller, etc. I've got plenty of room in the port aft compartment next to the other battery. I am curious if anyone would suggest certain brands or types or any tips for mounting/running power.

Much appreciated!

Capt. J
    "I Need to Go Where the Weather Suits My Clothes" -J. Buffett

I've got two batteries from CostCo. The first two were still working after 7 1-2 years, but I replaced them rather than wait for a failure.
    They're just 12 volt car batteries, maybe Group 24?
    1998 Capri 1950CL
    3 Liter MerCruiser
    Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Si-tex ADF, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
    2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

Comment

You are looking for a deep cycle marine battery. There are rather significant differences between a starting battery that dumps power quickly rather than going at a slower rate for a long time like a deep cycle. Also, a marine battery has the appropriate terminals and is generally more robust than automotive batteries. I suggest having a switch between the two so that if one goes suddenly bad it can be sidelined. For myself, I’d suggest the Interstates from Costco as the best value.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I am having the dealer put in a second battery and switch when the boat gets delivered.

Comment

There are only a small handful of companies that actually manufacture batteries. The variation in price is 99.9% related to the warranty attached to the battery.

I used to buy Die Hard (Sears) batteries exclusively, but they are the same battery as Walmart's Everstart brand, at roughly half the price. Still good batteries, but no use paying double just because of a different label on the box.

The batteries that I use now are Lifeline deep cycle. The quality is exceptional and product support is beyond reproach. They are the same company that makes Concorde batteries for aircraft...also widely considered the gold standard.

As to incorporating an extra battery, you will need to purchase a new battery selector switch 1 - 2 - ALL - OFF and wire it in. The instructions are in the box and it is totally self explanatory. When I did mine I had the cables custom built so I didn't have a bunch of extra wire laying around. I recommend doing that for a clean install, but otherwise anyone can easily complete this project in under an hour.

I also wired in a pair of battery chargers, which I highly recommend. With an extra battery, you will find that each battery is only being used approximately half the time, so keeping them both topped off is important. There always seems to be some latent battery drain in these smaller boats. I chose to incorporate a separate charger for each battery versus both on one, just so that the failure of one component wouldn't take out the whole system. Bring your boat home, plug it in, and the batteries stay perfectly topped off for next time.

Mocoondo
          2002 Bayliner 195 Capri
          Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
          MMSI: 338091755

Comment

• Alan_Teed
            Alan_Teed commented
            Editing a comment
            To add to Mocoondo's good ideas it is important that you use the correct gauge wire for the battery connections. Also if you do this yourself you will need a very heavy duty crimper (not the right word for the tool I know) to make the connection between cable and the fitting that goes on the battery or battery switch. If you want to do this yourself and save the cost and time of having cables made up you can use the tools at West Marine and possibly other chandleries to make up cables in their shop. Just measure well before you visit and allow a bit extra length for each run.

I will add....dont be flipping the battery select switch with boat running....i don't know how, but many have said this can damage the very expensive alternator.

I installed the 3 stage bttry charger also and it's a simple install. Like stated, just plug it in and let it keep it charged. I don't leave mine plugged in all time but others say they have without issue. Only pulls what power it needs.

Current: 2008 H210SS Four Winns
          Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner

Comment

• Gsherwood
            Gsherwood commented
            Editing a comment
            It causes what’s called inductive kick. Sudden switching of power causes electrical fields to collapse, generating high voltages much like the coil in your ignition system.

At Costco interstate deep cycle group 27 or 29 would be more than enough for your needs...
          Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
          2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
          1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
          1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
          1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
          1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
          1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
          1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

I would draft a table with what you anticipate your draw will be and chose a battery type (group) based upon your need. Make sure you install a switch to be able to isolate your starting battery.
            Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
            1998 3055 Ciera
            (yes, a 1998)
            Previous boat: 1993 3055
            Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
            Sea Doo XP
            Sea Doo GTI SE
            Life is short. Boats are cool.
            The family that plays together stays together.
            Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by TX H210 SS View Post
              I will add....dont be flipping the battery select switch with boat running....i don't know how, but many have said this can damage the very expensive alternator.

I installed the 3 stage bttry charger also and it's a simple install. Like stated, just plug it in and let it keep it charged. I don't leave mine plugged in all time but others say they have without issue. Only pulls what power it needs.
              Almost all Selector switches are designed with a "make before break" feature now days.
              Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
              Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
              93 3058 sold
              92 2855 (day boat)
              91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
              Longbranch WA
              Life is Good

Comment

Thank you so much all! I am going to determine how much draw I need and purchase a good deep cycle battery and selector switch. It snowed here last night (Puget Sound) and I anticipate about another 3-4 weeks before I dewinterize. You guys rock!!
                "I Need to Go Where the Weather Suits My Clothes" -J. Buffett

Comment

I’ve gotten away with car batteries in the past too, however, as I’ve aged my children continue to remind me of my advice to them. Whenever you can, get and use the right tool for the job. Funny how words come back on a guy.
                  P/C Pete
                  Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                  1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                  Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                  1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                  MMSI 367770440
                  1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                  Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Not sure if you have put a 2nd battery in yet but I put one in my VR6 along with the Blue Sea 120 Amp Add-A-Battery kit. I also moved the battery switch to a location that doesn’t involve me have to raise the engine hatch to to shut the batteries off.

If your interested I can snap some pictures next time at the boat.

Comment

AGM batteries are better quality than the regular lead acid type. Sealed and do not off gas when charging. They recharge faster and take longer to drain down. You can actually lay them on their side if need be I believe.

and you are looking for a marine deep cycle type. Depending on what your going to power I would go as big as you can fit just in case you want to add more accessories later. I have 2 group 31 AGM house batteries and 1 group 31 start battery.
                      Doug
                      1995 496cu in. 2859 Bravo ll
                      The Doghouse
                      Prince George BC

Comment

Agree on being careful with battery switches and alternators. Switching from one bat to another may be ok, but turning both off may cause problems.

Comment

Working...
                        X