Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 184SF first impressions-gctid402980

Hey all,

Just picked up my first bow rider deep vee. Decided on the ski&fish as suited every need I had. Of course visually I like everything about the boat, and came with the bow mount trolling motor, garmin fish finder and covers. And of course I also have a couple of complaints and one problem.

The rear jumpseats don't sit very well in the back, they wobble quite a bit and are at a terrible 40 degree angle. There is lots of room for them to recline more if they could, really strange why they did this. Also fish finder just reading 30' everywhere, and broke 2 of the 3 marker lights at the back of the trailer first time in the water.

Real problem though is that I seem to have a bad shimmy/vibration when just in gear at idle speed. Most of the boat rattles a little with this. Goes away as soon as I give it a little throttle.

Anyone know of this issue? Guess I will be taking it to the dealer.

Overall I love the boat (hope they come out with replacement jumpseats though) and will hopefully have many enjoyable years on it. I would appreciate any comments, thanks.

Steve

LazyBouy19 wrote:
    Hey all,

Just picked up my first bow rider deep vee. Decided on the ski&fish as suited every need I had. Of course visually I like everything about the boat, and came with the bow mount trolling motor, garmin fish finder and covers. And of course I also have a couple of complaints and one problem.

The rear jumpseats don't sit very well in the back, they wobble quite a bit and are at a terrible 40 degree angle. There is lots of room for them to recline more if they could, really strange why they did this. Also fish finder just reading 30' everywhere, and broke 2 of the 3 marker lights at the back of the trailer first time in the water.

Real problem though is that I seem to have a bad shimmy/vibration when just in gear at idle speed. Most of the boat rattles a little with this. Goes away as soon as I give it a little throttle.

Overall I love the boat (hope they come out with replacement jumpseats though) and will hopefully have many enjoyable years on it. I would appreciate any comments, thanks.

Steve
    First off, you post that you got a brand new boat and don't accompany the post with pictures, this is an absolute travesty. :livid:

Second, what engine do you have? If it's the 3.0 TKS they are notoriously vibrationey at low rpm's when just put into gear. Once you throttle them off idle they smooth right up. Part of what comes with having an engine designed in the 70's, she's a little rough around the edges, but she gets the job done.

Comment

LazyBouy19 wrote:
      Hey all,

Just picked up my first bow rider deep vee. Decided on the ski&fish as suited every need I had. Of course visually I like everything about the boat, and came with the bow mount trolling motor, garmin fish finder and covers.
      Just like the first reply, you tease us with such words like new boat and no pictures... Oh the horror!!! We need pics so we can like your new boat too lol.

LazyBouy19 wrote:
      And of course I also have a couple of complaints and one problem.

The rear jumpseats don't sit very well in the back, they wobble quite a bit and are at a terrible 40 degree angle. There is lots of room for them to recline more if they could, really strange why they did this.
      Maybe you can come up with a home remedy? I have lots of "home remedies" on my boat to make it the way I like it.

LazyBouy19 wrote:
      Also fish finder just reading 30' everywhere,
      That sounds like a simple adjustment problem. You could probably have the dealer fix it but you may be able to fix it yourself by reading the manual and resetting it.

LazyBouy19 wrote:
      and broke 2 of the 3 marker lights at the back of the trailer first time in the water.
      On the trailer lights... Are talking about about the bulbs being broke? Did you unplug your wiring harness from your tow vehicle before backing in? I have found that with the stock lights not being sealed (or LED), the bulbs are vulnerable to shattering when subject to the temperature change of being hot when used and then being dipped in the lake. Always from when I was a kid, my uncle used to make it my job to unplug the wiring harness, then do the straps and such after we got the trailer in the water.

LazyBouy19 wrote:

This is actually perfectly normal, i've never been on a boat that didn't do this at some point in the power band. This is due to a combination of boat motors generally being mounted differently (read not mounted to the hull the same way a car motor is mounted to the frame), the resonance frequency (my terminology may be off) of fiberglass, and just exactly what the first poster said too, a cheap old motor. My motor is only a 60HP inline 4 cyl but it's bolted directly to the transom so i get some vibration at times. This you don't have to worry about at all, one thing to verify though is that if you get a vibration at higher RPM, then there is a problem that needs troubleshooting.

LazyBouy19 wrote:

Steve
      One more comment, need those pictures!!! It's like dangling candy in front of a toddler.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Well I wrote a long post, reviewed it and then clicked close on something and lost the whole post!!!

So i will be brief this time. Just back from 2 wks use of the boat, it ran great and loving it. I have the 3.0l TKS, so not going to rip you out of the hole, but it does pretty good. Top speed I hit 41MPH @ 4300-4400RPM with 2 adults and there was a little more left but I don't know how much. Fuel economy was excellent!

Vibration I noticed was just too low of an idle, mostly when idling in N gear. Once you put it into gear the idle comes up a little and it goes away. Might notice this more if you were using it to troll with?? Have to wait and see.

Jumpseats arent' the best because the back is angled almost slightly forward, wish they would be angled just slightly back a little....but just put the kids there most of the time, or you just sit in the center seat between them.

Would like to hear from any other 184 owners, would be great to trade tips and stuff.

One thing I am wondering is where the water drains on the cockpit floor? There is no holes anywhere draining it out the side so is it just supposed to seep under the seats to the back and into the hull?? Can't find any info on this anywhere.

Steve

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/711209=30508-IMG_0355.JPG[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/711209=30506-IMG_0360.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/711209=30507-IMG_0418.JPG[/img]

Comment

LazyBouy19 wrote:
          Hey Guys,

Well I wrote a long post, reviewed it and then clicked close on something and lost the whole post!!!

So i will be brief this time. Just back from 2 wks use of the boat, it ran great and loving it. I have the 3.0l TKS, so not going to rip you out of the hole, but it does pretty good. Top speed I hit 41MPH @ 4300-4400RPM with 2 adults and there was a little more left but I don't know how much. Fuel economy was excellent!

Vibration I noticed was just too low of an idle, mostly when idling in N gear. Once you put it into gear the idle comes up a little and it goes away. Might notice this more if you were using it to troll with?? Have to wait and see.

Jumpseats arent' the best because the back is angled almost slightly forward, wish they would be angled just slightly back a little....but just put the kids there most of the time, or you just sit in the center seat between them.

Would like to hear from any other 184 owners, would be great to trade tips and stuff.

One thing I am wondering is where the water drains on the cockpit floor? There is no holes anywhere draining it out the side so is it just supposed to seep under the seats to the back and into the hull?? Can't find any info on this anywhere.

Steve
          2 words, bilge pump

Comment

whitey382 wrote:
            2 words, bilge pump
            There is never enough to bilge but still quite a bit of water in my mind. Mostly from the kids jumping in/out of the boat and then coming in and dripping it everywhere. Im just wondering how the water gets from the floor to the bottom of the boat as there are no drain holes or anything. Like if I want to wash the floor and hose the soapy water out of the boat???

Comment

LazyBouy19 wrote:
              There is never enough to bilge but still quite a bit of water in my mind. Mostly from the kids jumping in/out of the boat and then coming in and dripping it everywhere. Im just wondering how the water gets from the floor to the bottom of the boat as there are no drain holes or anything. Like if I want to wash the floor and hose the soapy water out of the boat???
              i have the 175 and I hose out (with soapy water) the interior and it all washes out, there are probably some drain holes towards the back under the carpet, underneath the gunnels in the back I think there is a gap there for water to run off also, but to answer your question, as long as you have the front end higher than the back, you will be just fine

Comment

Best bet in a boat that has as much wood as a bayliner is don't be hosing it out unless you like accellerating the possibility of rot/mold. If you have a glass deck then use a mop - if you have carpet then use a carpet cleaner.

Comment

oldjeep wrote:
                  Best bet in a boat that has as much wood as a bayliner is don't be hosing it out unless you like accellerating the possibility of rot/mold. If you have a glass deck then use a mop - if you have carpet then use a carpet cleaner.
                  is the deck under the carpet in an '04 175 wood?

Comment

whitey382 wrote:
                    is the deck under the carpet in an '04 175 wood?
                    Yes, and you only need to open your ski locker to check that

Comment

oldjeep wrote:
                      Yes, and you only need to open your ski locker to check that
                      i've never bothered sticking my head under there and looking, i'll have to do that when i get home, i always just assumed it was fiberglass

Comment

whitey382 wrote:
                        i've never bothered sticking my head under there and looking, i'll have to do that when i get home, i always just assumed it was fiberglass
                        Nope, your floor and stringers are wood

Comment

oldjeep wrote:
                          Nope, your floor and stringers are wood
                          They probably are, except everything is underneath a coat of fiberglass, at least it seems on the new ones. When i open the ski locker it looks like it is a seperate/drop in fibreglass molded box running on top of the hull. Im sure all the water on the floor works its way there, just thought they could make little notches or grooves to direct water better into the hull.

Pic is where the rear seat base meets the floor. So water just runs under the little gap i guess? I don't have carpet, just fibreglass floor so i don't see why i couldn't spray all the water i wanted too on the floor?? Just thought they could better direct the water to the bilge area better like on bigger boats.

Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X