VR Series Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VR Series Thoughts

Does anyone have a VR4, VR5, or VR6 that they are using on a bay? Currently thinking about a VR5 or VR6.

Thoughts on how the boat would handle bay chop. I am talking the Great South Bay off Long Island and the smaller bays to the west on calmer days (Nautical Mile area).

Thanks!

I have run the VR series boats hard during the press introductions. To give you an idea, I was working with Lenny at Boats.com when he shot the VR5 video, and I was driving the camera boat when we were jumping the wakes:

http://www.boats.com/reviews/bayline...o-boat-review/

Of all the new Bayliners, the VRs are the most seaworthy and can take a beating. We were jumping that VR5 completely out of the water and it was wonderful - no vibrations, shakes, flexing, etc. And we were beating on that black VR5 all day long at WOT, and it just kept taking it. No wood construction, and fully unitized deck and hull make for a really rigid, smooth ride, and it has a sharp entry for a Bayliner hull.

I'd go VR6 for more planing and hull surface, as well as the head unit, which you won't find anywhere else at 22 feet long.
    Matt Train
    BOC Site Team
    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I ordered the VR6 with the Verado PRO 200 6cyl and I can’t wait to get it in April. Any idea of performance I will get with that engine on the VR6?

Comment

Originally posted by David C View Post
        I ordered the VR6 with the Verado PRO 200 6cyl and I can’t wait to get it in April. Any idea of performance I will get with that engine on the VR6?
        That's going to be a good one!
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Originally posted by Download_Complete View Post

That's going to be a good one!
          You must be in Europe...
          I would imagine +52 MPH top speed.
          Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
          93 3058
          92 2855
          91 Fourwinns 205
          Longbranch WA
          Life is Good

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffryder View Post

You must be in Europe...
            I would imagine +52 MPH top speed.
            The 6 cylinder Verado is a new option for 2018.
            Matt Train
            BOC Site Team
            Chicagoland, IL

Comment

THX buddy!
              Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
              93 3058
              92 2855
              91 Fourwinns 205
              Longbranch WA
              Life is Good

Comment

Does anyone know if the Verado 6 cyl comes standard with power steering?

Comment

Power steering is standard on the 6 cylinder verados.

Comment

Outstanding! The boat is going to be good !

Comment

Originally posted by David C View Post
                      Outstanding! The boat is going to be good !
                      There is a huge difference between the 4 cylinder 200 Verado and the 6 cylinder 200 Verado. The 6 is so damn quiet you honestly cannot hear it when it's running, and you need to listen very carefully even when it's starting up. It's a night and day difference, and it makes the boat feel genuinely premium.

I drove an XR7 with the 250 Verado 6 cylinder and I loved it a LOT.
                      Matt Train
                      BOC Site Team
                      Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I can’t wait to get it! 10 weeks seems like forever

Comment

I'll offer an alternative view. I'm sure the VR series are great boats, they just wouldn't be what I'd want for "bay" conditions. Perhaps you could define what you mean by "bay chop." I boat on the Chesapeake Bay and it is "choppy" most days. 1-2 foot waves out in the Bay (rivers coming into the Bay will be calmer) are usual. Even 2-3 foot are not unusual. Flat calm days happen and are to be enjoyed, but they are far between. I've rented a 21' bowrider and taken it out on the Bay in the 1 foot to calm conditions and it was fine. But frankly, though, I wouldn't want a bowrider out in the Bay as my everyday boat. I've seen VR5s and VR6s in the rivers, but rarely out in the Bay. Doesn't mean they aren't out there (or other brand bowriders for that matter) - my local Bayliner dealer is selling them in quantities - but I personally don't see them out on the Bay. Probably a reason. I've had my 642 Cuddy out in some rough conditions on the Bay (including Small Boat Advisories - not intentionally); I was glad to have that closed bow. I would have docked a bowrider somewhere and walked home.

Rick
                          [color = #4169E1]"Our Dream"[/color] -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

Comment

The bowrider style boats are not ideal for big waves and not what their designed for...thats regardless if on a bay or big Lake. These are boats made for versatile use and offer the use of the bow, which becomes a bowl in big water.

they're class C categorized for up to 6.5 foot waves, but I would be puckered up in mine in that size water. Its a matter of knowing the conditions and staying ahead of them. Those size waves are manageable in a bowrider, but you better know what your doing and work your butt off at the helm...stall in that size water in a bowrider and things are real serious.

I had a 20 foot closed bow Sea Ray as my first boat and hated the closed bow except for that 1 day....

Out of curiosity...are the vr models with OB self bailing with deck level scuppers? If so, that's a huge plus. All that said I've had bowriders for 20 years as their design fits my use.
                            Current: 2008 H210SS Four Winns
                            Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner

Comment

I bought a new VR5 last year, and our maiden voyage was from Sandy Point State Park up to the Magothy River, then down the bay just past the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. It was a mildly choppy day, with 1-2 foot swells, but mostly wakes from the the large boats that like to run on the bay. We kept the speed reasonable (mostly under 25 kts) and my daughter and her boyfriend, riding in the Bow, kept dry with no problems. A couple weeks later, we put in by Annapolis and rode up the Severn and back, with a slow cruise around Annapolis. Again, the large boat wakes were more troublesome than the chop, but throttle management and good seamanship kept the crew dry. We've also had it off Calvert Cliffs. With almost no boat traffic, we had it wide open with 1 foot chop and it had no problems at all. If there is any threat of bad weather, however, keep this boat off the Chesapeake Bay. Conditions can change rapidly, and I wouldn't want to be in open water in a storm with it.

Brad

Comment

Working...
                              X