Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need more sound!

Hi folks,

I have the stock Jensen 2013BT stereo with two (I think) 6.5-inch Jensen speakers (MSX60S - 4 Ohm 65W Max x 2 (130W)) on a Bayliner 642. These speakers include one at helm and one at passenger side. Not enough sound when underway. I thought of placing some Kenwood 6.5" I have seen on videos of a guy changing out his stock Jensens in a BR185. The Kenwood model is KFC-1652MRW. Or I could go with Infinity 225W. Not sure of clearances.

OR -- and here's the question -- are these Jensens simply fine and I just don't have enough speakers? Will the head unit run four Jensens okay if I added two more? Or can I get away with a 6.5" speaker change and find a lot more volume? Or would simply adding an amp do the trick or would I likely blow up the stock speakers? Or should I just consider adding a sub? Or scrap the entire system and hand my boat off to Car Toys and figure on a thousand dollar bill? Ugh!!!

What do people do?

Given my boat's configuration, I don't have great spots for adding speakers, so I'd prefer to put in a high performance 6.5" if I can get better and more sound -- seems easy.
    That might not be realistic! Maybe pun intended for old Radioshak fans.

Thanks,
    Jon (RPD)
    It is when you give of yourself that you truly give - Kahlil Gilbran
    2015 Bayliner 642 in Red, 4.3L MPI, Alpha 1 Gen II
    Eagle Runner

I'm running a Sony head unit with 4 JBL speakers and a sub. In the cabin I have a separate unit, a Kenwood with Fusion speakers.
    Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
    1998 3055 Ciera
    (yes, a 1998)
    Previous boat: 1993 3055
    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
    Sea Doo XP
    Sea Doo GTI SE
    Life is short. Boats are cool.
    The family that plays together stays together.
    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

First check clearance behind speakers. If you have the room just upgrade to two Quality speakers and add a small Amp.Your head unit should be fine and a decent small Amp isn't much. If you are a guy that can do your own stuff it's a few hour job.

Comment

What kind of speakers would be best? Any specs considered best for 6.5" speakers? I think I have a 4 inch depth from surface to bulkhead. Maybe more on helm side. Amp recommendation spec would helpful. Good stuff man!!! Thank you!!!
        Eagle Runner

Comment

If your stereo is not loud enough you need an amplifier. If the sound quality is lacking you need better speakers. JL Audio Marine series are probably the best you can buy. They are available in different levels depending on how much you want to spend. Alpine makes a PBX 4.100 amplifier that has excellent performance and is very efficient so it won't have a tendency to run your battery down.
          Gibraltar, Mi.
          1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
          34' Tollycraft- sold
          88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
          14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Originally posted by rhythmpoetdonut View Post
            What kind of speakers would be best? Any specs considered best for 6.5" speakers? I think I have a 4 inch depth from surface to bulkhead. Maybe more on helm side. Amp recommendation spec would helpful. Good stuff man!!! Thank you!!!
            I'm excessive with music,I have 15 JL speakers and 4 of their Amps. If you went with 2 of their 6.5"s and a JX 360 watt Amp I think you would be fine. You want the JL Audio M650-CCX-CG-WH for Speakers and the JL Audio JX 360/2 or JX400/4. The 360/2 can run 2 speakers and the 400/4 could run 2 or 4 if you wanted to add in the future. Mounting depth is 2 15/16 on those speakers ,just under 3". The regular M series speaker is the one you want, NOT the "MX" series speaker. The "M's" handle more RMS and a much better speaker and are a little bit more money.

Comment

Awesome information you guys!! I trailer my boat, fresh water and fair weather, so I'm not terribly concerned with a marine rated amp. But would like marine rated speakers. However, I hear the marine rating isn't a big deal if you buy poly speakers, which most are. I'll check amazon for those JLs!! Thanks again!!!
              Eagle Runner

Comment

Originally posted by rhythmpoetdonut View Post
                Awesome information you guys!! I trailer my boat, fresh water and fair weather, so I'm not terribly concerned with a marine rated amp. But would like marine rated speakers. However, I hear the marine rating isn't a big deal if you buy poly speakers, which most are. I'll check amazon for those JLs!! Thanks again!!!
                No problem. Yes check around there are plenty of deals out there on Equipment.

Comment

Working...
                X