1987 Capri Bowrider 2.3L volvo OMC Cobra outdrive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 Capri Bowrider 2.3L volvo OMC Cobra outdrive

I just purchased a 1987 Capri Bowrider with a 2.3L volvo engine and a OMC outdrive. It is at the previous owner's house and we are going to work on it together. It has sat for 4 years untouched. When it was parked it was running and drain plug pulled. So I want to give it a tune up and oil change and change the oil in the outdrive. Thing is, I do not know what size spark plugs, filters, distributor cap, points, filters etc to get for it. Also going to replace the plug wires too. I am assuming I should drain the gas tank if there is any in it and don't know how to do that either. I have never owned a boat so any help from here would be greatly appreciated. I do have the vin number and the title shows it is a 16ft.

Welcome aboard !

2.3l volvo engine? Or is it a omc engine ? Same engine as the mustang of that era.

Cobra drive ?

Here's the link :

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/om...model=232AMFTC

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

It is a 1986 not an 87. Has a 2.3Liter. It shows volvo but the engine valve cover shows Ford. The exhaust maifold shows OMC. It has a Cobra outdrive. I got all the tune up parts and filters. We had it running for a couple minutes and tried to start but it cranked and no start. Had no spark. replaced coil and still no start. I started a new thread on this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

There are several parts dealers that have the microfiche available on line. Here’s a link to Crowley, no endorsement, but I’ve used the lookup and gone shopping elsewhere. Sometimes they have the best delivered price, sometimes not. When you are considering on line purchases include the shipping in your price comparison. http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/376.cfm
        There are some strange things with marine engines. One of them is a shift interruption micro switch that pauses the ignition to allow some slack in the gear train while shifting. It could be that this interruptor is stuck, it doesn’t take much, but during the interruption the spark is cut. This is in addition to the neutral safety switch. Look at the wire harness , bracket and solinoid page.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
        MMSI 367770440
        1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
        Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

That is a Ford OHC engine that was used in the Mustang II, Ranger pick up and many other Ford vehicles. Not Volvo. The Cobra drives issues are the shift linkage and cable and the ESA system. If the shift system is in good shape and the ESA works it should shift easily and not jump out of gear.
          88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
          98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
          07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

You can also get OE parts from an Evinrude dealer if there are any local to you. Sierra marine makes many parts for the Cobra rigged engines, I've used their gaskets, water and fuel pumps. I still use OE for the driveshaft bellows and the raw water impeller.
            88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
            98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
            07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Working...
            X