16 Bow Rider questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16 Bow Rider questions

When I ordered my new boat a few days ago was told the hull was guaranteed for life and the 60hp Mercury engine for five years. The hull guarantee was encouraging with all the hull controversies on the older Bayliner boats. Is there much wood in my model to potentially go bad? Also I chose the galvanized trailer and if needed plan to install one of those bolt on tongue hinges. Any opinions on those?
    I bought/ordered my boat thru Kaylors Marine in Berea, KY. It's a small third generation family owned business that I have a good feeling about. They also had the best price with no dealer prep charge. If anyone thinking of buying a new Bayliner anywhere near central KY my opinion you should check them out.
    Thanks JM

Check the specs on wood, but I do believe all have quit using wood decks and most quit using wood in stringers. The hulls are and have been good on bayliners...my prior boat was a 96 bayliner 2050SS and the hull and construction would match up with any.

I have wood above seat level in my current Four Winns..limited to dash and assume it's in side panels that are upholstered.

if you start drilling holes for accessories just make sure you fill them with good silicone before inserting stainless screws. Congrats and post details on what you got
    Current: 2008 H210SS Four Winns
    Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner

Comment

Thanks for the info. I got a basic 16 foot Bow Rider with 60hp Merc. Only option was a Bimini top. I will post some photos when I pick up in early March.

Comment

I installed a folding tounge on one of my trailers before. Wear a dust mask if you use an abrasive chop saw to cut it. That’s what works the fastest and cleanest, but grinding galvanized stuff is not the healthiest thing to do.
        Esteban
        B-ham!
        Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

• green650
          green650 commented
          Editing a comment
          I used a Makita shop type with a 14” wheel. You could get away with a hand held angle grinder and 4” cutoff wheels. Wouldn’t be as perfect a cut though unless you got good surgical hands.

The Elements still use wood core in their construction. The VRs are wood free.

But the design of the Element is supposed to seal wood out from the inner structure (let's ignore the water retention issues and assume that they fixed it...there's evidence that they did). So even though there is wood structure it should be okay....especially if you store it on the trailer.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I am going to mod the the trailer tongue if it won't fit in my garage. Good idea about using chop saw I have a cheap one from HF.

Comment

What size garage do you have?
            2015 Bayliner 175
            3.0L, Alpha 1
            Paradise, NL, Canada

Comment

My garage is small 20 by 24 (20 front to back). I could put boat in diagonally to gain a little extra.

Comment

I didn't order a factory cover for my 16BR but may buy a good cover held on by straps or elastic just to keep dust out as I may store in a semi open brick carport. Not a cover that would have to stay on while towing. Any recommendations on where to buy one that would fit properly?
                Thanks
                JM

Comment

I have used the cheap ones from academy, but used pvc to keep a peek so water runs off. They all will let some water in no matter what you do.

I have the custom snap on cover on current boat and it has the tent post....still leaks.

You can order the expensive trailering cover but pricey. Question....if you put in garage, lower tongue, lower motor and turn to one side will that make her fit? I keep mine inside and still need the dust cover though

Current: 2008 H210SS Four Winns
                  Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner

Comment

I think it will fit garage but am thinking about building a brick carport like I built at my old house to keep boat and a small car. I will probably buy a cheap cover like you recommended just for dust. I will definitely keep the boat inside something even if it means using my aircraft hangar, which had plenty of space but is about 14 miles from my house. Here is photo of my old carport which I may build at new house.

Comment

Welcome to the club man! I'm assuming you have completed all the necessary calculations for both trailer+boat weight, and that you have a sufficient tow vehicle. On my older Bayliner 175 BR, that was something I overlooked (like 2200# for the boat and 750# for the trailer minimum). I first towed a Bayliner 175 with a Toyota Highlander (3500# tow rating) and it worked well. I purchased the hitch from U-Haul and had them install it. I completed the wiring for the lights and four-pin connector. I like taking my time with wiring.

For the 175, I had the painted Karavan swing tongue trailer and that was handy. Ended up with <20' depth with the swing tongue swung (lol). I had to acquire a larger truck when I went to a larger boat!!! My newer 642 with the galvanized trailer and "swung" tongue has an approximate depth of 24'. You can find the specs on your trailer at the Karavan website (assuming it's a Karavan).

As far as wood goes -- all kinds of boats have successfully used wood stringers and they're still afloat. I think my 642 has a huge thick wood transom. Many boats seem to use a combination of wood, glassed wood, and foam. If boats are moored and/or left uncovered in the weather, left un-drained, etc, that wood can rot, the foam takes on water and never drains. There are plenty of horror stories if you google or type wood stringer restoration into youtube. Some of those horror stories are inspirational, actually. Some all glass boats have foam that gets waterlogged, too. Not good.

I tend to take good care of what I own, and both new Bayliners I have purchased (175 and recently 642) -- they both came with a lifetime hull warranty. I think it's transferrable to a 10 year warranty for the second owner, too. That warranty does mean a lot -- but I have never really had a hull issue. I wonder (perhaps Matt Train knows???) if the hull warranty covers the stringers or just the exterior of the hull. I haven't looked over the details of the warranty.

If you take good care of stuff, make sure there are NO LEAKS when you start out on that maiden voyage (I had some thru-hulls that were not sealed right from the factory), and just keep an eye on things, you'll be fine. Trailering your boat helps a ton to identify problems. Just think if you hit a log or a rock, and then moored it up, never to see the damage -- big problem! BUT, go over your boat with a fine tooth comb and keep in mind even Cobalts come from the factory with a few minor issues. Happy Boating!
                      It is when you give of yourself that you truly give - Kahlil Gilbran
                      2015 Bayliner 642 in Red, 4.3L MPI, Alpha 1 Gen II
                      Eagle Runner

Comment

Originally posted by ddsrph View Post
                        My garage is small 20 by 24 (20 front to back). I could put boat in diagonally to gain a little extra.
                        My garage is 16x20.(20 front to back) My 175 trailer came with a foldable tongue, but it has to go in on an angle. It fits but it's tight lol
                        2015 Bayliner 175
                        3.0L, Alpha 1
                        Paradise, NL, Canada

Comment

2015 Bayliner 175
                          3.0L, Alpha 1
                          Paradise, NL, Canada

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have a aTacoma 4 by 4 with the four cylinder. I live at Tims Ford lake near Lynchburg TN. Even though I can see lake from my house I have no direct access and have to tow the boat about three miles to ramp. I will also have to pull it about 200 miles from dealer soon.

Comment

Working...
                            X