No announcement yet.

16 Bow Rider questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On your cover I second another posters comment on the PVC for a peak. First year I had my bayliner it puddled terribly at first. I used 1" PVC with a 3/4 dowel 1 foot long between pipe ends screwed in to make a long PVC pipe a couple feet longer than the over top length of the boat. For a 16 footer I would get 2 10 ft PVC pipes and start there. I used 2 10ft pvc pipes on my 1850LS and it was a perfect length. Probably use forward most bow cleat or anything to hold the PVC end and measure from there to the top edge of the windshield then back to a rear boat area where you want to support the pipe. I used the outdrive lift piston support ends where they bolt into the outdrive. You want a bit of bend to push the pipe up to make that peak more pronounced. Good luck and welcome to the boat life.
    1994 Bayliner Capri 1850, 3 liter Mercruiser, 9.9 Johnson kicker.
    1987 Wellcraft Antigua 265, Mercruiser 383 Stroker V8.
    Pulls with Ext. Cab 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 HD

Comment

I may be preaching to the choir, keep plug removed while on trailer...as stated all tops leak and not worth the worry. My brothers prior boat had a custom trailering cover he thought was fine.

flooded while on trailer and needed motor work before first launch. You may have had boats before but thought worth mentioning.

enjoy the new toy
      2008 H210SS Four Winns
      Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
      Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
      Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

One more thought on the cover, minimum thickness of canvas....6D Denier Canvas. And even thought its says it is water proof, soak that thing with HD Boot waterproofing solution or spray. Wally world has it. And TX is absolutely right.
        1994 Bayliner Capri 1850, 3 liter Mercruiser, 9.9 Johnson kicker.
        1987 Wellcraft Antigua 265, Mercruiser 383 Stroker V8.
        Pulls with Ext. Cab 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 HD

Comment

My boat has arrived at the dealer in Richmond, KY. That's about 225 miles away and I am waiting for a no rain day to bring home. I flew up Friday to check out and was pleasantly surprised to find the trailer already has a folding tongue. Also the boat looked great.

Comment

Here is the folding tongue.

Comment

congrats. Best of luck.

some quick advice:

Do not tow with the cover on (in my opinion), and take everything loose out of the cockpit, lest it get blown away by the wind.

Also, you should not tow with the engine tilted all the way up. You probably can't tow with it tilted too far down, lest the skeg hit the ground. I would recommend a trailering wedge or other engine support (though I am not a fan of the popular "transom saver."

(and, FYI, though I have not read all the posts, nothing on any boat is "guaranteed" for years or for life. There are WARRANTIES, which are limited and which are much different than "guarantees." And, bayliner's lifetime hull warranty is limited to the original purchaser. 10 years for subsequent purchasers)

Edit: One other thing; don;t be surprised or upset if you find that you have to make a trip back to the dealer (at least one) for some warranty work. I have bought about 6 or 8 new boats (not all bayliners), and they all ended up with a minor punch list that required a trip back (two trips...one to drop off, and one to pick up). Nature of the beast.....

Comment

When I was shopping for my 2017 VR5 I did manage to get a "better purchasing price" at a dealer 150km away versus the nearest dealer being 50km. Of course this usually means to and from so I then needed to factor in if the savings was worth the cost and hassle of 100km versus 300km (186miles round trip) My decision even got easier when I was reminded that part of my purchasing I had worked in the first winterizing so right from the start the distance involved in the purchase doubled. I at least have the benefit of having a Mercury dealer in my hometown so anything engine related I can/will do locally. I ended up going with nearest dealer but only after I was able to get extra goodies to compensate for purchase price difference.

And like mentioned above, despite being a "brand new" vessel I ultimately had to go back couple times in order to address couple things. Sure glad I didn't have to do the 300km+ trip couple of time...

Good Luck with your new vessel and Have Fun.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	06615C22-517E-4A53-B509-C7695581427E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	246.2 KB ID:	427298 One thing that most people forget when they measure their garage size for fitting their boat, how wide is the garage door opening.
                  My garage was/is quite large. However, my Element would not fit through the door opening. Luckily I was able to cut the opening so that it would accommodate a larger garage door.
                  Don’t forget to measure the full width of the trailer, including fenders. This measurement is larger than the width of the boat.
                  Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
                  2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
                  12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Comment

I made it home with the boat. When I flew up last week it was 186 miles. To my surprise when I drove up to get the boat it was 300 miles. Too far to take back for minor warranty issues. Hopefully nothing major will happen. I will put in water for first time next week. I am thinking about getting some type of rubber mat to protect carpeting. Any recommendations?

Thanks
                    JM

Comment

New to Bayliner, but any Four Winns and Bryant dealers will do warranty work. I moved my boat from the Chesapeake Bay to Smith Mountain Lake and the local dealer did the warranty work with a smile. Made a repair/winterizing customer for life.

Comment

Originally posted by oakplank View Post
                        Click image for larger version Name:	06615C22-517E-4A53-B509-C7695581427E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	246.2 KB ID:	427298 One thing that most people forget when they measure their garage size for fitting their boat, how wide is the garage door opening.
                        My garage was/is quite large. However, my Element would not fit through the door opening. Luckily I was able to cut the opening so that it would accommodate a larger garage door.
                        Don’t forget to measure the full width of the trailer, including fenders. This measurement is larger than the width of the boat.
                        Nice house. But I thought all Canadians lived in igloos........:-)

Comment

Working...
                        X