16 Bow Rider questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16 Bow Rider questions

When I ordered my new boat a few days ago was told the hull was guaranteed for life and the 60hp Mercury engine for five years. The hull guarantee was encouraging with all the hull controversies on the older Bayliner boats. Is there much wood in my model to potentially go bad? Also I chose the galvanized trailer and if needed plan to install one of those bolt on tongue hinges. Any opinions on those?
    I bought/ordered my boat thru Kaylors Marine in Berea, KY. It's a small third generation family owned business that I have a good feeling about. They also had the best price with no dealer prep charge. If anyone thinking of buying a new Bayliner anywhere near central KY my opinion you should check them out.
    Thanks JM

Check the specs on wood, but I do believe all have quit using wood decks and most quit using wood in stringers. The hulls are and have been good on bayliners...my prior boat was a 96 bayliner 2050SS and the hull and construction would match up with any.

I have wood above seat level in my current Four Winns..limited to dash and assume it's in side panels that are upholstered.

if you start drilling holes for accessories just make sure you fill them with good silicone before inserting stainless screws. Congrats and post details on what you got
    Current: 2008 H210SS Four Winns
    Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner

Comment

Thanks for the info. I got a basic 16 foot Bow Rider with 60hp Merc. Only option was a Bimini top. I will post some photos when I pick up in early March.

Comment

I installed a folding tounge on one of my trailers before. Wear a dust mask if you use an abrasive chop saw to cut it. That’s what works the fastest and cleanest, but grinding galvanized stuff is not the healthiest thing to do.
        Esteban
        Detroit, MI
        Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

• green650
          green650 commented
          Editing a comment
          I used a Makita shop type with a 14” wheel. You could get away with a hand held angle grinder and 4” cutoff wheels. Wouldn’t be as perfect a cut though unless you got good surgical hands.

The Elements still use wood core in their construction. The VRs are wood free.

But the design of the Element is supposed to seal wood out from the inner structure (let's ignore the water retention issues and assume that they fixed it...there's evidence that they did). So even though there is wood structure it should be okay....especially if you store it on the trailer.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I am going to mod the the trailer tongue if it won't fit in my garage. Good idea about using chop saw I have a cheap one from HF.

Comment

What size garage do you have?
            2015 Bayliner 175
            3.0L, Alpha 1
            Paradise, NL, Canada

Comment

My garage is small 20 by 24 (20 front to back). I could put boat in diagonally to gain a little extra.

Comment

Working...
              X