X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian W
    started a topic Question time from Australia

Question time from Australia

Hi all, i'm new to this site, Brian from Australia wishing everyone a Happy New Year ! As for my New Years celebrations............well, they were cut short due to my bilge pump working overtime which had me worried so i upped anchor and headed home. My boat is a gorgeous Bayliner 195 Cuddy, fresh from it's service to both boat and trailer. I had seven aboard (all adults) to watch Sydney's fireworks, found our spot then anchored. That's when the problem started, the bilge pump was working overtime constantly pumping out water. So much so that I headed back rather than risk the bilge pump stopping. It has me baffled, when i took it out previously there was no trouble. With seven in the boat there was a small amount of water on the floor at the transom end but it's only natural to get and inch in there (self draining holes) with the added weight. These two holes in the side (in the photos) have me baffled, obviously the cause i'd say. With the added weight in the boat at least one was under the waterline. At home i put the hose into both and within a minute water starts pouring out of the bilge drain bung, so they have to be the problem as the hull is in pristine condition. Can anyone in here tell me what these two holes are for ? And do you think that something has come loose for them to be the way they are ? Many thanks in advance.

Brian.

• Chief_Alen
    replied
    Double clamp it at both ends.

Leave a comment:

• Brian W
    commented on 's reply
    When connected there is roughly 3 inches of slack Mike, it is a straight run but it bends a tad because of the slack. I'm going to check it every trip out but thanks.

• Nauti_Mike
    replied
    That hose should have some slack in it as the boat flexes somewhat when hitting waves. Being that short it’s likely to pull off again or split IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Brian W
    replied
    Problem solved
    the hose running from the ice chest top drain (the bottom drain empties into the bilge) had come adrift at the box end and was emptying straight into the bilge as it was under water at the hull. I’d say I was carrying 80 kilos or more too much in weight, my fault there. Thanks for the input all, lesson learnt here !
    Supposed to be the exit but it was the entry point Back on now, this is where it came adrift

Leave a comment:

• dcunning
    replied
    Hi Brian, yes - the ice box drains shown in the picture should be connected to the drains on the side of the boat.

Leave a comment:

• Brian W
    commented on 's reply
    I ran water down the ice box drains (in your photo), the water came out the rear bilge drain hole so i'd pretty well guess that nothing is connected to them, or if there is,then it has come adrift. I'll get the cover off this weekend and try and chase it through the hull, plus my mechanic wants to have a look next week, here's hoping !

• Brian W
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the input mate, it is a great boat and we love it. I have had boats most of my life but this Bayliner is my favourite, so thats why this is a puzzle to me. It was New Years Eve, I had a relative from South Africa over who was wanting to see the fireworks display plus cousins from interstate as well on board. I even had it serviced two weeks prior, trailer as well. Took it for a two up run a week before to make sure all was well. So it was really upsetting to pull up anchor and head in but there was no way i was going to risk seven people, if the bilge played up we would have been in trouble.

• Brian W
    commented on 's reply
    Bilge drain at the back was tight, When you say that they are deck drains, there are the two at the back for the self draining deck. So do you mean that the two nylon ones should be connected to the drains at the top of the two ice boxes that you show in the photo ? If so then i'd say they aren't connected but i'll try putting water into them to see.

• Brian W
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Brad, yes, I do think we may have been a tad over and I daren't ask the ladys to fess up with their weight. Because i had seven on board I allocated everyone their seat and balanced it out before we left. Just bear in mind I only needed to travel 5 kilometers to the fireworks at a tad over idle speed as the harbour had a 6 knot limit on New Years Eve. Anywhere else then 5 is my maximum number otherwise it gets too cramped and uncomfortable.But many thanks for your input !

• Brian W
    commented on 's reply
    Mike, i double checked the spec regarding how many passengers it can take. 7 is the maximum allowed, don't quote me but i think it also says 500kg, i did a guestimate on that and i think we would have been over by 50kg with just one esky as well. Ok, it might have been a tad over but it still doesn't explain how i can stick a garden hose up those two nylon lined holes and then have water running out of the bilge drain hole.But it won't move from the trailer to i find out. Many thanks for your input though mate, greatly appreciate it.

• rhythmpoetdonut
    replied
    I have a similar boat, Bayliner 642. I have self-draining cockpit drains also that occasionally interface with the waterline, depending upon weight distribution. Not ideal, but mine do not leak as they're plumbed right, have one way flapper valves, and my cockpit floor always rests above the waterline. You probably have the same design.

I had a similar leak (unknown and mind was racing). I found the thing to do is dunk the stern end in a dunk tank. My brand new boat took on about an inch of water on her first run at the lake and I was pissed. Put her back on the trailer and had the dealer dunk it. We found two swimstep bolts had not been properly sealed. Although the swimstep bolts don't always interface with the waterline, sometimes they do. That's all it took for me - my mechanic applied sealant to the through hull bolts and my bilge is dry as a bone.

First thing as others stated would be to ensure your plumbing is correct. If so, and all is tight, then have your boat mechanic dunk it. If you don't have access to a dunk tank, a lonely boat launch might work well, provided you are accompanied by your boat mechanic and perhaps a buddy.

You have a real nice boat Brian. So I bet it's something simple like this for you!!! Hope it works out!!! Please update when you discover!

Leave a comment:

• dcunning
    replied
    Hi Brian, I have the same boat. Those are the deck drains - if they’re connected you should be able to put water into the drain and see it coming out the holes. If it doesn’t come out, the hoses aren’t hooked up. Check that bilge drain plug is tight.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• brad4550
    replied
    Hi Brian
    first check bilge pump hoses,they should have a loop in the discharge line and well above water line,second and this might sting a bit,most Plackcards use an average weight for an adult of 150 to 170 LBS (I myself haven't weighted that sense high school) any way your pic shows your "Mates" might be a bit over that Mark,Third might the seating/ passengers moved to one side or the other?? causing water to flow into the thru hulls???..... Just my 2 cents worth....Good luck Brad

Leave a comment:

• Ruffryder
    replied
    on your 192, bilge pump discharge should be on the Starboard hullside...
    I see all three SS shiny factory thru-hull drains including 2 deck scupper drains on both sides.
    Looks like someone added 2 more white plastic thru hull drains really LOW on the PORT hullside for some reason, since that dash board drain was only available on 194 & 195s.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X