Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deciding between a 2012 or 2011 175BR - Need input on my First Post!-gctid401139

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deciding between a 2012 or 2011 175BR - Need input on my First Post!-gctid401139

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum, and will be purchasing my first boat this weekend. I have decided to pursue a Bayliner 175 BR, but still deciding whether I want to purchase a 2011 or 2012 model. The difference in price is around $2k. The main differences I have seen in the boats range from gauges, to storage, to new engine box with insulation. Since both boats are brand new is it worth paying the extra for the 2012? I have seen both models online and their boattest.com respective videos on youtube - but still not convinced. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If all the trim (i.e. waketower, swim step, etc) is all the same and the only difference is the gauges, you just have to decide if the engine insulation is worth $2k to you. Looks like most people on this forum are able to insulate the engine cover pretty well for $200 or under, but on that note, these little 3.0's are loud little engines.

Comment

I'd go for the 2011, but only because I'm not crazy about the current design trends in boating where all the curves are being replaced with corners, straight lines, and hard breaks. Totally subjective, as should your ultimate decision be.

Comment

I own a 2012 and I love it. I understand some of the features on the 2011 were better but some of the features on the 2012 are better as well. It just depends on what you want.

Just FYI, shop around at all the dealers in your area. I found one at a competitiors dealership and it was way lower in cost than the one close to where I live. I told them about it and they matched the price based on approval from Bayliner to sell it cheaper.

I got my 2012 with stereo/CD/MP3, bimini top, and swim platform for $17,500.

Comment

PharmD wrote:
          Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum, and will be purchasing my first boat this weekend. I have decided to pursue a Bayliner 175 BR, but still deciding whether I want to purchase a 2011 or 2012 model. The difference in price is around $2k. The main differences I have seen in the boats range from gauges, to storage, to new engine box with insulation. Since both boats are brand new is it worth paying the extra for the 2012? I have seen both models online and their boattest.com respective videos on youtube - but still not convinced. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
          Buy used.

Comment

I own a 2011 and when i bought it i was shopping around and considered a fourwinns, what ultimately sold me on the bayliner was the fact that it has a FULL gauge package.... between the minimal gauges on the 2012 and in my opinion, the ugly engine cover, i would save your $2000 and get the 2011, i think you get more for your money.

Comment

Not to mention the 2011 will have less of a hit on initial "off the lot" depreciation, and should be slightly less to insure. Just ask yourself what you like better about the 2012? If you can't come up with much get the 2011. Also, if you have the budget to consider dropping $2,000 in accessories after buying the 2011, think about what you can get!!

Comment

I'd see if you can get more than the $2K off of the 2011. I would think that they would be ready to deal on a non current model.

Comment

I likes me some gauges... I would go with the cheaper 2011. I feel that the 2012 dash is a little to "minimalized". Still an awesome boat IMO, but it needs more stuff to look at. It's a guy thing!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies so far! Is there power steering on the 2011 model like the 2012? I just want to make sure I'm not ignoring any significant differences between the two.

Comment

PharmD wrote:
                      Thanks everyone for the replies so far! Is there power steering on the 2011 model like the 2012? I just want to make sure I'm not ignoring any significant differences between the two.
                      My 2011 has power steering. When I was looking last year, I had the option to wait a couple of weeks and buy the 2012. Either one you buy will be fun. I'm glad I got the 2011, as I am not fond of the minimalistic gauges, but the extended swim platform seems nice!

You won't go wrong with the 175, no matter the year.

Comment

Nutsofamily wrote:
                        Buy used.
                        That is always a crapshoot, especially with entry level boats.

Comment

I have the 2011 and its a great boat, like the gauges like everyone else, it planes faster weighs less and I think the top end is higher too I think the only plus point is the swim platform on the 2012. You can get a better one for about a grand and still saving you a grand, also the custom swim platform you get will have a cover and I think thats a big plus, no stub toes and you can sit there or lay down without interference. Even the guys at our boat store think thats the best way to go with the customized platform, also there a few inches bigger

Comment

oldjeep wrote:
                            That is always a crapshoot, especially with entry level boats.
                            so true! I went to look at the boat 1h after it had been posted on craigslist. It was a 1.5h drive and when I arrived he already had 7 more people interested in the boat. Talk about horrible negotiation position but I got her...... Could have gotten a 3ft and even 7ft longer boat for less money (in good condition) but it would have forced me to buy a new vehicle too.

If you have time it works especially in the fall time. We were looking for 8 months and finally bought in May.

For instruments I think the minimum should be RPM, oil pressure, water temp, fuel, volt, depth sounder and optionally trim. The speedo should be eliminated unless it's a GPS controlled one as it will work for a short while at best and will never be accurate.

They should offer 2 moldels! -FTB (First Time Buyer) with just a speedo and a fuel gauge as that what noobs know from their cars and -LTB (Long Time Boater) with the above instruments and an optional VHF radio with speed display (like VHF100/Ray49 or GX1600) but NO pitot tube speedo junk please.

It looks to me that bayliner designs the helm space according to what's needed just for the instruments they install. No space to add anything new.........

Comment

kjs wrote:
                              so true! I went to look at the boat 1h after it had been posted on craigslist. It was a 1.5h drive and when I arrived he already had 7 more people interested in the boat.
                              My point wasn't that the demand is high - but that the owners are inexperienced and tend to do a lot of damage - hidden damage in the case of properly breaking in the engines.

Although after just looking at the prices they are getting now for new Bayliners - I'm shocked and understand why the 2nd hand market is so high right now. The 195 discovery is basically the same boat as my 195 classic - 27K? I paid 19K. And an optioned up regular 195 costs almost as much as a brand new V drive Moomba I've been looking at.

Comment

Working...
                              X