Bayliner 642 Overnighter Cuddy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner 642 Overnighter Cuddy

Wow! I can’t find a darned thing on this new site. So, here’s a photo of my boat! Looking to restart that awesome and productive discussion! Thanks! RPD
    Lake Coeur d’Alene. All Bayliner 642s with the BT2013 stereo have a hidden USB plug! A guy can hook it up for use to charge a cell phone or play music! Eagle Runner
    It is when you give of yourself that you truly give - Kahlil Gilbran
    2015 Bayliner 642 in Red, 4.3L MPI, Alpha 1 Gen II
    Eagle Runner

What "awesome and productive discussion" are you looking to restart??
    1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
    5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

Jon, I'm afraid to say, but I think the extensive thread on the 642 you are referring to is gone; it was in the sub-forum called "Owner's List" and that is no longer available. I've searched in my profile for past topics and did an Advanced Google search - no joy. It's gone. The only 642-specific topic that appears to have migrated was this one from Reviews: https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...dy-gctid751472

It's unfortunate; I'm not a fan of the new forum software and the migration. A lot of valuable information was lost. But hey, we got a sub-forum on politics (sarcasm emphasized).
      Rick
      "Our Dream" -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

Comment

Rick!! You're still here! Thank goodness! Yes, I promised to post some picks of the USB plug that came with the stock stereo (and did, see above), then was kinda blindsided by the BOC changes. For better or not, I had gotten used to it, turned friends on to the many awesome projects people take on. It's a healthy addiction. I'm not appreciating the sweat and pics lost in the transfer. Hopefully the site can build back to what it was. Or perhaps it's mostly still around, and I'll relearn.

Regardless, I'm excited to mention the availability (still, I believe) of the $28 kit that provides a USB and aux jack from a single outlet that would replace the existing aux only outlet adjacent to the stock stereo on the dash. Mine will solve two issues: 1. It'll provide a place for my wife to charge her phone. 2. It gives her instant easy command of what's playing on the stereo - no more messing with Bluetooth, although that's what I prefer. I'm having our Bayliner dealer install it for me, although it's a job I could do in a few hours. It necessitates removal of the stereo and widening a half inch hole to an inch or so (std 12v receptacle hole), so I figured I'd let those guys deal with it. I mention this mod with some urgency, as I'm not sure how long Jensen will continue to manufacture this addition.

Anyway, figured I'd share that with you. And also i'm installing an 18p 4 blade prop to help with planing. And probably nicer new speakers.

Didn't you have a cool motor system monitoring device? I'd like to check that out again also.

Politics? Ugh. I'd rather think of lakes and boating - at least on this site. Thanks for being around!!!

Are there other 642 guys that survived? Lol, it's like post webmagheddon! I hope the site will be better than before. I'm sure it'll take me some time to get used to things.

Best, Jon
        Eagle Runner

Comment

Hey, Jon! I'd really like to hear about the new prop result. I've been pondering that as a to-do for next year. I have a lot to learn about what's best though.

Where did you get the Jensen kit? Sounds like it's worth $28 bucks to have on hand if I decide to do it at some point.

I did install the Mercruiser VesselView module; works great. Worth the cost in my opinion. Only thing that would make it perfect is if the app works on tablets; seems the app is only available for smartphones. Here's the BOC topic that discusses the module: https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...id817867/page2

As for rebuilding the 642 thread; it might just be you and me... But I am not fond of this new forum software at all...my time on BOC has gone done 75% or more. It is not user friendly at all IMHO.
          Rick

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

Comment

Rick thanks for the link! Agreeing with all points. Here's the link for the stereo addition. $17 now.

https://www.amazon.com/JENSEN-JENAUX.../dp/B002ZNXX7C

Best, Jon
            Eagle Runner

Comment

Nice boat Jon, 642, would it be around a 22 footer ? If so it would have been better for me on New Years down here in OZ mate ! Looks good in red too ! Post some interior photos of it one day if you could .

Brian.

Comment

Thank you Brian!! Yes 21.4' I believe, including the swim platform. Deeper V hull. Pretty smooth in 1-2 foot chop. Much better than my 2010 175, which was fun but liked flatter water.
                Here are a few interior photos I don't seem to find many pics of the cuddy, but I'll check around. The cuddy is the best part in some ways. It's tall enough to sit up (I'm 6-1).

I bought the 642 because it is light, towable, large enough for big inland lakes (inland NW of US), overnightable, affordable, modifiable . . . it will slide under the low bridges of the chain lakes where I boat (bridge at six foot clearance from water, water depth just 3 feet), and it just has a great layout - good for five or six in the cockpit. Fully loaded on the trailer it weighs just under 5k lbs (including the trailer). Not bad for a big lake or bay capable cuddy.

As most Bayliner folks know, some components are of dubious quality, but some components, like the engine and outdrive for instance, are excellent and highly proven. I had a keelguard installed earlier last year. I added a second battery, batt switch, 12v jack, stereo jack with USB, Raymarine unit, stuff like that. This year I'm changing out the front bowroller for a ladder mount, going with 18p 4 blade aluminum prop to help plane faster with guests, and probably better speakers, maybe bass tube.

Brian, I love this boat. I'm still in the beginning stages of ownership (just a year with this one) and I'm dialing it in still, gotta be patient, but it's perfect for what I like to do. Mods and trips occupy my thoughts. Kind of my happy place, when not floating.

Your boat is super sweet also! Great model! You'll have some awesome adventures! It's basically the prerunner to what I have, not much difference. I always liked that full length bimini on those models, too. What mods are you planning?
                Eagle Runner

Comment

I have a 2015 642, not a lot of them sold in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by cking1974 View Post
                    I have a 2015 642, not a lot of them sold in the US.
                    Even fewer of those owners here on BOC! Welcome
                    Rick

Comment

I bought an enertia stainless steel propeller, 22" pitch. I'm eager to see how this one performs.

Comment

Also installed the Nauticus sx automatic trim tabs. But it's still in the low 40's here in Maryland. So no boating just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by cking1974 View Post
                          Also installed the Nauticus sx automatic trim tabs. But it's still in the low 40's here in Maryland. So no boating just yet.
                          You mean 30's and SNOW, don't you? I was thinking I'd be prepping to splash by the end of March; not looking like until mid-April now.

I'll be interested to hear how the trim tabs work out for you... I discussed adding trim tabs with the service manager at the dealership and his advice was that tabs wouldn't really make a difference on this boat.
                          Rick

Comment

Rick, It's been a crazy spring, eh? I can't wait. A buddy just bought a Yamaha 242 Limited S and it's very nice. His came with a custom tent and so we're all looking forward to boat camping soon.

Regarding the tabs, if yours is like mine -- the three-blade 19p stock prop works fine for TWO PEOPLE ONLY, but with a full load (full water tank, dual batteries, the 4.3L engine, full of gas, full of stuff I don't need, etc) plus TWO (or more) ADDITIONAL people -- it'll take a full minute to plane, and I tend to lose patience and invite folks forward in about 20 seconds, of course with the trim all the way down. Inviting folks forward really does the job, but it shouldn't be like that.

I figure the major stern-heavy scene with two folks on the back bench creates a situation where there is just not enough "grab" for the three-bladed prop and it'll happily push a lot of water at 16mph forever. It's not a horsepower issue! I imagine the 3.0L planning faster due to a lack of stern weight. A four blade, with more surface area, should be able to keep from "spinning the wheels" so to speak. SO, I bought that 18p four blade from my dealer and I'll let you know after the 27 of April sometime how it works out! I figure if the prop won't fix the issue, then I'll try the tabs. I needed an extra prop anyway.

SO, with tabs, I've heard the automatic sort of spring loaded version (no control through helm) work great. Although I like the idea of the full on hydraulic versions for correcting pitch or for cutting through chop. It's an evolution! Hope all is well with you Rick!
                            Eagle Runner

Comment

Jon, thanks for the explanation! That all makes sense. I agree a different prop has the highest probability of giving a better performance. Here's hoping for the weather to improve so you can test the theory!
                              Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X