Winterizing a 175 - can't drain heat exchanger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winterizing a 175 - can't drain heat exchanger

I'm winterizing a Bayliner 175 with closed circuit cooling. The Mercruiser manual says to drain the heat exchanger but I can't access the drain without completely removing it. I'm thinking I'll need to fill the raw water portion with RV antifreeze via one of the hoses. Sorry if this topic has been covered. I couldn't find it via the search and quite a bit of google searching. Thanks.

I have never seen nor heard of a Bayliner 175 with fresh water cooling. Aftermarket? What year? Can you post a pic?

Comment

That's interesting. It's a 2008. I think the heat exchanger, etc. is standard Mercruiser components. Maybe it was added by the dealer. The heat exchanger is beneath the rear starboard seat and I can't get to the drain or lift it out far enough to get to the drain.

Comment

What engine do you have? Merc 3.0?

Definitely not standard nor OEM as it would be mounted on the engine if OEM.
        1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

It's a mercruiser 3.0. I thought this would be a common problem but guess not if I've got the only one! Will try to flush it with rv antifreeze.

Comment

Never saw a 3.0l engine with a heat exchanger, except for a power steering cooler.

That being said you can try to ( Backwash it ) .
            Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Photo needed. I can’t say I’ve ever seen a 175 with closed cooling.
              Mocoondo
              2002 Bayliner 195 Capri
              Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
              MMSI: 338091755

Comment

Turns out to be a non-event. I removed the hose from the exhaust manifold and poured marine antifreeze through the exchanger until it dripped out the outdrive intake. Should be good to go. Thanks for the insight. It didn't occur to me that this might not be a standard setup.

Comment

Working...
                X