Element Mercury 60 Bigfoot prop change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Element Mercury 60 Bigfoot prop change

Hi everyone looking for some advice. Been doing my research on this forum and wanting to pick everyone thoughts.

My Element came with a 14 x 13 - 3 Blade prop. Looking to change out.

Want to keep the same top end speed with better hole shot.

Looks like everyone is changing out to 13.8 x 11 - 4 blade prop for better hole shot , but losing 4 mph on avg on top end speed.

I saw someone here change to a 13.8 x 13 - 4 blade prop. ( recommendation on that ?)

My marina ( which isn't near ) is suggesting a 3 blade 14 x 11 prop for what I am looking for.

Changing out and trying isn't really an option.

My issue as well is our boats don't come with Tachs so not sure what RPM's I am running also.

Don't want to get a prop that is over revving the engine as well.

Thoughts , suggestion from you guys would very much be appreciated

I got both the 11P and 13P and ended up keeping the 11P because I was more concerned with hole shot and never lost 4mph it was more like 1 or 2. I'd go with the 11P, which also runs at higher RPM's so the engine won't be working as hard (better gas efficiency). Good luck!
    2014 Flight Package 16' Element
    Upgrades: 90HP Merc, NFB Helm, Smart Tabs, 4 Blade 15P Prop, MercMonitor Gauge, Bimini Top, Custom Steering Wheel, Stainless Cup Holders, Radio w/4 speaker and Subwoofer + Amp

Lacey, WA

Comment

what was the difference between the 11p and 13P in our opinion?

Comment

what was the difference between the 11p and 13P in your opinion?

Comment

11p provided more hole shot and grip in the turns, while the 13P provided better hole shot then it's 3 blade counterpart it was nothing like the 11P. Again, the 11P also hit the RPM's sweet spot for performance. The 13P did have the advantage in almost maintaining same speed as the 3 blade. Hope that helps.
          Upgrades: 90HP Merc, NFB Helm, Smart Tabs, 4 Blade 15P Prop, MercMonitor Gauge, Bimini Top, Custom Steering Wheel, Stainless Cup Holders, Radio w/4 speaker and Subwoofer + Amp

Lacey, WA

Comment

Originally posted by efarstad View Post
            11p provided more hole shot and grip in the turns, while the 13P provided better hole shot then it's 3 blade counterpart it was nothing like the 11P. Again, the 11P also hit the RPM's sweet spot for performance. The 13P did have the advantage in almost maintaining same speed as the 3 blade. Hope that helps.
            efarstad, sorry to bring up an old thread, or anyone who has changed out there prop on there big foot 60HP on there Element. Looking to go to the 13P 4 blade. Did you need to change/get a Flow torque hub kit?

Comment

The 4 blade prop came with a hub kit, so yes.

Lacey, WA

Comment

The 4 blade prop came with a hub kit, so yes.
                Going to order, just don't know if I should get Flo-torq II or III. Would you know?

Comment

Flo-torq II is what you need

Lacey, WA

Comment

I'd go with the 11P, which also runs at higher RPM's so the engine won't be working as hard (better gas efficiency). Good luck!
                    You can't have an engine running at higher rpm and say it's not working as hard! That's backwards.
                    Higher rpm by definition means engine is running harder.

To the OP. First you need to get a RPM gauge installed or you can't change props and maintain safe engine RPM cos you have nothing to judge it with.
                    When changing props you have to be cautious without exceeding the engine's WOT rpm or risk damaging that engine.
                    Hardly Perfect
                    1997 Trophy 2002WA, 1999 Yamaha 150 Ox66
                    Greg's Marine, Jacksonville, Al

Comment

Hello, brand new to BOC.
                      Dirtybird, did you have any luck with your prop change? I’m in the same situation. Having a tough time getting out of the hole or tight whip turns pulling kids on tube.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Just curious - I have a Merc 40HP bigfoot with a 14X13 3 blade aluminum prop. Max RPM is 6000. Engine will develop 5850 with this set up. I would have though you would use a more aggressive pitch on a 60HP to take advantage of that horsepower. You need to know your RPM.
                        Irony
                        1989 Bayliner 4588 - EH700TI
                        Portsmouth, NH

Comment

Originally posted by Crash Doc View Post
                          Hello, brand new to BOC.
                          Dirtybird, did you have any luck with your prop change? I’m in the same situation. Having a tough time getting out of the hole or tight whip turns pulling kids on tube.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
                          Yes , just changed it last week. I wish I changed the the prop sooner. What a difference

Comment

• Crash Doc
                            Crash Doc commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Just changed to 13.8 x 13p 4 blade. Made a huge difference in hole shot and no top end loss. May also consider 11p just to try but afraid of over reving without tachometer

Not sure how much “performance” you are expecting from an Element frankly, regardless of engine or prop. But interestingly no one has mentioned just the addition of Smart Tabs...which will help with holeshot no doubt as well as handling in turns...at least it did for me on my 185...certainly different hill design and capabilities with each boat. I did not lose any top end, but I did also switch to a 4-blade prop. To me, holeshot was more a desire than top end...you can’t do much of anything with 2-4mph anyways up there. Certainly not going to win any races or get to the first location of a poker run before the big boys😂. It has been my understanding that basically with your set up you will have to sacrifice something, either holeshot or top end speed albeit minor sacrifices...I would definitely research the Smart Tabs here in other discussions...
                          Lake Hartwell, GA
                          2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                          1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                          1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
                          1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                          1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                          1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                          1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
                          1996 SeaDoo GTX
                          1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

Working...