End of Season Bayliner 195 mod ideas??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of Season Bayliner 195 mod ideas??

Coming up to the season end what can you guys suggest for mods and additions to the boat?

Show and tell would be great... can't wait to see what you've all done!
    2002 Bayliner 195BR - 4.3 mercruiser EFI

Scotland, UK

Over the years I've slowly done this things, mostly minor:

1. Added the Blue Seas automatic charging rely with a spare battery. The switch to truly isolate engine starting from "house functions" has not been completed, but I do have the switch and my schematic for doing it. In a pinch, I could switch batteries to get the boat started, but it would be a wrench affair so far without the switch.

2. Added a small ski mirror. Mounted on the port dash.

3. Just added a dsc and gps equipped fixed vhf radio and antenna. Do some boating on the Great Lakes so that's the motivation. There's a recent thread here on that.

4. Added some Velcro strips to keep the rear bench cushions from flying out at higher speeds.
    Bayliner 195 Bowrider 2013 4.3l 220hp MPI
    Alpha 1, Gen II
    2012 Toyota Highlander V6 4wd with tow package
    Albany, Ohio

MMSI: 338234042

Beware the men of measured merriment
    (Sinclair Lewis, Arrowsmith, paraphrased)

Comment

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...nstall-finally
      Bayliner 195 Bowrider 2013 4.3l 220hp MPI
      Alpha 1, Gen II
      2012 Toyota Highlander V6 4wd with tow package
      Albany, Ohio

MMSI: 338234042

Beware the men of measured merriment
      (Sinclair Lewis, Arrowsmith, paraphrased)

Comment

What all have you done so far?

Over the years, I have installed GPS/moving map, backlit magnetic compass, new stereo/amp/speakers several times, now with wifi and bluetooth streaming Amazon music, all LED lighting throughout, stainless cupholders, properly plumbed the cupholder drains, installed rubber in the bilge so things don't bang around, installed outdrive shower, installed dual batteries with MBSS and battery chargers on each battery, installed the instrument cluster fix to prevent it from getting fried, installed velcro and then snap straps to hold the rear bench pads in place, installed newer more robust gas lift supports on the engine compartment hatch...and I think that is about it.
        Mocoondo
        2002 Bayliner 195 Capri
        Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
        MMSI: 338091755

Comment

Very interested about the Second battery option, thinking about running some speakers/lights and a few other things in the boat off it to.

Not looked properly into it yet, but I will have a look!

I also have a dash mounted ski mirror, very very useful addition!

Thanks for the reply!

Scotland, UK

Comment

Mocoondo,

Not done a huge amount to the boat so far as its my first season with it and most of my budget has gone on repairs and fuel over the summer!

Very interested in making stereo/speaker mods and what you've found to be the best! - Dual batteries I think has to be an essential for me.

What do you mean by instrument cluster fix? mine are giving me endless issues!!

Sadly for me in live in Scotland so my main problem is weather...looks like I need to replace the floor this winter so not sure if I should take the opportunity to do something completely different with the rear layout of the boat... thoughts/ideas from anyone are greatly welcomed??

Scotland, UK

Comment

I added remote battery terminals so that I can use inflator without having to remove seats to access the battery compartment. Also use it for jumper box if ever needed and battery maintainer from time to time.

Switched all my gauge lights from standard white to LED's blue

Added a handle above the boarding ladder for extra ease...

Just to name a few others....Smart Tabs, 4-blade prop, fully automatic bilge pump, upgraded battery from starting battery group 24 to deep cycle group 27, lined all storage compartments with anti-microbial liners,

Attached files

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
              2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
              1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
              1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
              1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
              1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
              1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
              1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

I'd like a swim platform for next year but I'm afraid it will be too heavy to plane properly? I have a 3.0 4 cylinder.

Was going to do Smart Tabs too so that should help some I guess.

Anyone think the swim platform is a bad idea?

Thanks

Sarah

Comment

Sarah,

I think the tabs as well as switching out the OEM 3-blade prop to a 4-blade would resolve you concerns about planing...I'm running a 14.25 x 19 Solas Amita aluminum and love the performance overall. Also the tabs will eliminate any "bow wander" that you might have at idle speeds.

Please keep me posted as to your swim platform endeavor as I am considering the same..
                  2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

Comment

I don't know, I'm pretty skeptical about the swim platform. Take yesterday, on plane nice n easy at about 3100 RPMs with a 200 lb person in the bow. He moved to the back of the boat and the bow goes up and the boat slows right down. And a SP hangs off the stern, even farther back, and probably weighs about the same.

I'm afraid to ruin my boat......

Comment

Worst case scenario.....add tabs, 4-blade prop to help you get on plane, add SP. can a SP be sent back for a refund? At worst, maybe a couple of filled in mounting holes from SP....
                      2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

Comment

Sarah, what kind of swim platform you thinking? Which model boat you got?

Scotland, UK

Comment

RobMick, Loving the leds... was it a simple job? Any tips? would be pretty interested in giving that a go if it will work on my old 2005!

Scotland, UK

Comment

Pretty simple, but slow going as it is tight working space. I used the smaller LED on the smaller gauges and the larger LED on the large gauges. I removed the existing bulbs to see what sizes they were and all the small gauges had the same size bulb and the larger gauges had the same sizes for the large ones. Then searched online. I think I got them from Walmart.com actually...a couple of bucks each I think. I figured if they didn't work, I could at least take them back to a store and get a refund. I have heard of many horrro stories regarding these LED bulbs and customer service if needed because they are mostly made overseas. Once I fitted the new bulbs and was happy with them, I ordered additional ones, just in case, so that they would all match. I don't run at night often, but when I do it is much cooler Than the dull OEM white

I didn't remove any gauges, simply reached up from the floor under the dash board and took my time with each one. If I had to remove any wires to access the bulb, I labeled them to be sure not to cross anything...I believe that "red" is the medically approved color for gauges at night due to our eyes adjusting to it better than any other color...who knows, for $20 that may be something to do next season just for sh-ts and giggles.
                            2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

Comment

I don't know about "medically approved," but red light doesn't diminish your night vision near as much as white light.
                              Jeff & Tara
                              (And Ginger too)
                              Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                              "GetAway"
                              Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X