My bottom is dirty!-gctid399229

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bottom is dirty!-gctid399229

I have never left my boat in the water for longer than a weekend, and I keep it clean and dry in my garage when it's not in the water. Last week I was on vacation, and I left it in the water for 8 days. My normal cleaning routing isn't working on the bottom. I seem to have a yellowish stain everywhere below the waterline, and tons of little brown specks that I can't rub off with a sponge.

I have several coats of 3M marine wax on the bottom under all that yuck.

Is there some magical bottom cleaning product that I can use to avoid a labor intensive scrubbing? It's driving me crazy to have that dirty boat in my garage. I work a few blocks from a West Marine store, what do I need to go buy today so I can get it clean tonight?

Please help!!!

I use the works toilet cleaner.

Comment

I've always used marine wax to clean off the staining, works like a champ. But I hear ammonia free glass cleaner works.

Comment

The new improved Charmin is supposed to work wonders. op
        Cheers, Hans
        2007 Carver 41 CMY
        Twin Volvo D6-370
        Montreal, Canada
        Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

you will likely find an acid-based hull cleaner (specifically for cleaning stained hulls), though it is not something I would be doing in the garage. It will depend on the product you buy, but you will likely need gloves etc... to do it. But the product I've used worked very well at removing very dark staining and growth. I think it was a Starbrite 1 gallon container (similar to a windshield washer container).

Comment

MidnightSun wrote:
            I was wondering how long it would take to get a response like this

Comment

Use baby wipes. They are moistened so it prevents chaffing.

Comment

Saintjon wrote:
                I use the works toilet cleaner.
                best budget friendly cleaner. Oxalic acid. Good for those yellowish stains.

Comment

MidnightSun wrote:
                  Tide with Bleach works on skid marks too....

Comment

FSR works on the toughest stains I found. Heres a link http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ct.do?pid=4880

Comment

jhenkel wrote:
                      I have several coats of 3M marine wax on the bottom under all that yuck.

Is there some magical bottom cleaning product that I can use to avoid a labor intensive scrubbing?
                      I had a similar experience last year and went through several different products with no result. I read something about a particular product that worked on yellow-brown stains that sound like what you described.

The product I bought came from Lowe's and cost $9 for a bottle ... "Rust Out" ... follow the directions and wear gloves.

I was amazed. It worked in less than 30 seconds with zero scrubbing. The stain just disappeared.

Comment

Most marinas up here will clean the boat after the entire season which is a rather disgusting yellow stain like you mention by using muratic acid. You need to take all precautions as this is also a dangerous acid if not used properly. The results are instantaneous and the stain will completely disappear.
                        Cheers, Hans
                        2007 Carver 41 CMY
                        Twin Volvo D6-370
                        Montreal, Canada
                        Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to go the toilet bowl cleaner route and boy am I happy. I picked up a gallon of it at Lowes for about $9. Poured an inch in a bucket and brushed it on the entire bottom with a scrub brush on the end of a pole. I could literally see the yellow stail disappearing as I was brushing it on. Soon as I was finished, I filled the bucket (5 gal) up with water and used it to wash the bottom as I normally would. The brown spots wiped right off, not a single bit of scrubbing. The entire job took under 30 mintes, and I have at least 3/4 gallon left for future jobs.

Thanks for that advice, never would have thought of that myself!

Comment

jhenkel wrote:
                            Thanks for all the advice. I decided to go the toilet bowl cleaner route and boy am I happy. I picked up a gallon of it at Lowes for about $9. Poured an inch in a bucket and brushed it on the entire bottom with a scrub brush on the end of a pole. I could literally see the yellow stail disappearing as I was brushing it on. Soon as I was finished, I filled the bucket (5 gal) up with water and used it to wash the bottom as I normally would. The brown spots wiped right off, not a single bit of scrubbing. The entire job took under 30 mintes, and I have at least 3/4 gallon left for future jobs.

Thanks for that advice, never would have thought of that myself!
                            Does this remove the wax? Should you put a fresh coat of wax on it afterwards?

Comment

what brand was it?

I think Ill try this on my deck.

Comment

Working...
                              X