Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailering wth cover-gctid820512

Hello all,

I have an Element E18 with the factory mooring cover. Has anyone tried to trailer their boat with this cover on? I am taking the boat to lake about 2 hours away and they are giving rain so I was considering hauling it with the cover on, but I don't want to damage the cover. Any advise would be appreciated.
    2017 Bayliner E18 with Mercury 115 four stroke. boating on local lakes, in mostly calm waters.

Don't do it, it's called a mooring cover for a reason. Short trip across town at 25 mph MAYBE...
    Jeff & Tara
    (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
    "GetAway"
    Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Towed my 1800 down the freeway many times with the mooring cover on & never had an issue, It was however a custom made sunbrella cover.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556
      Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

"builderdude" post=820528 wrote:
        Towed my 1800 down the freeway many times with the mooring cover on & never had an issue, It was however a custom made sunbrella cover.
        Same here with my Boston Whaler, but the custom cover has 12 tie down straps. If your cover does not have a good number of straps that attach it to the trailer or boat, follow Jeff's advice.
        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
        Anacortes, WA

Comment

No straps anywhere on mine but snaps about every 4" :silly:
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

The factory mooring cover on the E18 will get torn to shreds at highway speeds.

Comment

Mine has straps on the factory "mooring " cover.

Why is it called a mooring cover when it's impossible to install the straps when the boat is moored at your dock? Unless of course if you are a frogman you can always take a dive in to install those straps.

:S

Comment

"oakplank" post=821196 wrote:
                Mine has straps on the factory "mooring " cover.

Why is it called a mooring cover when it's impossible to install the straps when the boat is moored at your dock? Unless of course if you are a frogman you can always take a dive in to install those straps.

:S
                My Boston Whaler cover has a elastic hem and removable straps. For use as a mooring cover I make sure the hem is below the rub rail. I also use two straps for security, one on the bow u-bolt and one going to the motor's anti-cavitation plate. It stays on, even in high winds. For towing I add the rest of the straps that go from the cover to the trailer frame.

[attachment]40146 wrote:
                Boston Whaler Cover-2.jpg[/attachment]

Attached files

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                Anacortes, WA

Comment

I only trailer with the cover on. I would never consider doing it any other way.
                  Mocoondo
                  2002 Bayliner 195 Capri
                  Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
                  MMSI: 338091755

Comment

I leave my snap on mooring cover on when we travel 50-60 miles round trip every time at 60mph...never an issue, never any snaps loose. Also have a "dust" cover that I have towed with several tie-downs with no problems.

Enjoy!

Comment

We tow at highway speeds over great distances with a custom snap on cover. Our snaps are located below the rub rail and reduce the risk of lift.
                      2014 Boston Whaler 130 Sport
                      2017 Bayliner Element 75hp (with may more into it than I should admit & the list is growing )

In beautiful central Florida.
                      Wife & I are always available weekends for exploring our beautiful water ways.
                      Shoot me a message if would like to plan a meet-up

Comment

Working...
                      X