Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trim Tabs - Bayliner VR5 - Anyone using them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trim Tabs - Bayliner VR5 - Anyone using them?

looking to put a set of trim tab's on my VR5 - Looking to plane out at lowerspeeds and not so much bow rise. Looking for suggestions and what brand would you use?

Thanks.

I'm very interested in this topic as well but not so much for bow rise but more so to level the boat when underway. Most of the seating and storage is to one side and I really want to run level.

Comment

Everything I read it's a good upgrade - But I have not heard of anyone installing them on a VR5.... LOL

Comment

With a little common sense on loading and not putting all the weight on one side I don't believe trim tabs should ever be needed to keep the boat "Running Level". It concerns me when I hear people needing to add things like Trim Tabs, just to get the boat to perform adequately. When you spend $25K+ for a new boat, it should perform very well from the minute you get it. If not...I personally would choose another brand.

I'll be watching this thread as the VR5 is the last Bayliner I'm considering after my original E18 is no longer a choice.
        Eric

Comment

Unfortunately proper loading is a bit hard when all of the cockpit seating is to port side.

4 adults and 3 kids, kids in the bow that means 2 or the 3 other adults are sitting port side. At best you can have one sit in the back centre but it still leaves 2 in the port which is also where most of the storage space is.

In an ideal world sure it may not require them but I truly feel they can only help make it better for my type of riding.

Comment

"STEWARTVR5" post=819303 wrote:
            looking to put a set of trim tab's on my VR5 - Looking to plane out at lowerspeeds and not so much bow rise. Looking for suggestions and what brand would you use?

Thanks.
            Did you ever install your trim tabs on your vr5?

If so how did they work?

Comment

"STEWARTVR5" post=819303 wrote:

Thanks.
              Tabs are a good upgrade on any boat. The issue with smaller boats is that the expense of active tabs might not be justified. For quicker planing, Nauticus Smarttabs (passive) are popular and are cheap...I have never installed them because I boat in some rough conditions and they tend to push the bow down all the time. They do have a kit that allows you to lock them in the "up" position though.

We do have Lenco tabs on our big boat....third season in salt water...no issues yet. Lenco and Bennett are two big brands...though there are others. Lenco is known for their electrical design, Bennett (just bought by Yamaha, I think) is known for their hydraulic system (though they do offer electrical tabs I think).

Comment

Bennett also make Smart Tabs, they are very similar to the Nauticus Tabs except they are metal and have a better warranty on the cylinders. They are also price about the same. I suggest looking at both and determine which works best for you.
                2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
                Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
                Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
                Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
                1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

Best bang for the buck.....Smart Tabs and a replace OEM 3-blade prop with a 4-blade....
                  Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
                  2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                  1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                  1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
                  1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                  1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                  1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                  1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

So where did everybody install their trim tabs?

I just picked up some smart tabs, and in the instructions it says 3 to 5 inches from the outside of the transom?

Comment

When speaking to Nauticus directly, and showing them a pic of my hull/transom, they suggested as far out as possible for best performance. They did say however, that if for some reason I couldn't clear the boarding ladder, that mounting them inwards toward the keel would work as well.....remember, you are basically increasing the running surface regardless...here's a pic or two of my install, maybe it helps maybe not depending on the design of the ransom on your VR which I am nit familiar...

Attached files

2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

Comment

Another pic or two of the hull before install....note that Nauticus pointed out to mount them at the beginning of the end of the outermost chine....

Attached files

2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

Comment

So I did the smart tabs today with a 17 pitch prop.

That is the perfect combination for me. I have very little bow rise, and the boat performs perfect.

Comment

Is this a VR5? what size of trim tab did you use?

Comment

Yes 2017 vr5 I called nauticus they said to use

SX9510-60

Comment

Working...
                              X