Capri 1500 br What do you think?-gctid819209

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capri 1500 br What do you think?-gctid819209

Hello to all of you on the BOC forums. This is my first post. Just yesterday I bought a 1989 Bayliner Capri 1500 br. It is a small boat I know but it will be used primarily by just my wife and me. I spent most of my boating life with pontoons. It's been a very long time since I had a hull boat. It is currently powered by a 1990 Evinrude 90 hp engine. I know that this boat was originally powered with a Force 50 hp engine. The previous owner, who owned the boat for 12 years, told me he didn't like the Force and so he bought the Evinrude 90 used from a dealer who installed it. The engine is no longer VRO. According to the previous owner. The dealer he bought the motor from had already removed the oil injection system and now the engine is premix only. That's a good thing in my opinion. I had to rebuild a 90 VRO engine a number of years ago due to the failure of the injection system. The boat is in pretty good shape cosmetically. The hull shows no blisters or large cracks or scratches anywhere. The upholstery is pretty good and so is the carpet. There is one soft spot in the floor about the size of a small plate just in front of the storage compartment where the battery and gas tanks sit. I have only gotten the chance to run my boat one time on a local lake. The water was pretty choppy and I didn't wring it out since I didn't know exactly what to expect. The boat planes quickly. I did most of my run at around 35mph but did run it up to 40 once at just under WOT.. It seemed to handle well and ran very well at speed. I did have a problem getting it to idle while docking, Any advice you can give me about that will be much appreciated. I also wonder if you al think the 90 engine is too much power for the size of my 15 foot boat. Advice here will be appreciated. Also, when I put the boat back on the trailer and removed the drain plug, there was no water at all in the boat. None came out of the plug. The boat is also equipped with a a marine radio, a depth finder and a 50lb thrust Minn Kota trolling motor. It also came with three gas tanks, a few life jackets and 4 (yes 4) extra trailer tires. So I guess I'm looking for opinions on my purchase. If there's anything I should be on the lookout for, I'd appreciate hearing about those things too. I'll post some pictures tomorrow and perhaps that will help.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Don Williams a.k.a. Librarian

Welcome to the BOC.....The GOOD NEWS...You came to the right place to help you maintain and enjoy your Bayliner......The BAD NEWS..Your boat is GROSSLY over powered. Your hull was rated in 1989 for a 50HP motor. You have a catastrophic accident waiting to happen with that motor/hull combination. I would recommend selling the 90 and look for a 40-50hp OMC,Merc,Yamaha or something similar, lots good used motors of that size out there. If you continue to use that motor/hull combination be VERY easy on the throttle, you could very well rip the transom off the back of the boat...BE CAREFUL

Comment

Thanks for your opinion. I value that feedback. The 90 has been on the boat for 12 years. I will be careful with the throttle. I looked hard for cracks etc. and haven't seen any.

Comment

Working...
      X