Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"freechip" post=818231 wrote:
    And yours is accurate?
    When I went out on our VR6 for the handover, the RPM seemed high, and when the back of the gauge was checked it was on the wrong setting, (apparently this is common) when on the correct setting the RPM dropped down, at the time I didn't really grasp what they were adjusting, and didn't take note of the exact figures.

On a later trip out after the first service, the dealers attached a PC to the engine, and they confirmed that it was reading with acceptable accuracy for an analogue gauge.

However as stated before, I still think it is reading slightly high, I have got it up to 5200 RPM on many occasions, but the readings logged show 5200 RPM hours as 0.0
    Current Boat: 2016 Bayliner VR6 4.5L 250
    Previous Boat: 2015 Bayliner 175 3.0L TKS 135

Comment

Couple minutes of fooling around with adjustment and it's now perfect as well. Would have been even easier had I had a spotter to look at gauge while I made the adjustment. Oh well it dead on now.

Just have pics at the 1,000 mark but at every thousand it's IMO perfect. At least. I can get better reading with it in the events I'm not using the App.

Comment

This is GREAT Freechip! I never knew such a device existed. Sounds like it'll fit right on my 4.3L V6 MPI.

Just a few Qs: I take it you leave it on the engine permanently? Are you adjusting on the water or with muffs? How does it calculate fuel? Based on anticipated consumption from engine data? Is there a significant chance or perhaps almost no chance (?) the connections will wear with vibration?

This is extremely impressive.

Heck -- I might just buy a crappy blue tooth iPOD from way back and just mount it permanently to the dash.

Thank you for posting!!!
        It is when you give of yourself that you truly give - Kahlil Gilbran
        2015 Bayliner 642 in Red, 4.3L MPI, Alpha 1 Gen II
        Eagle Runner

Comment

I made my adjustments on the water. The dial on back of gauge has notches sort of speak so it was just a matter of getting it in the right one.

It's accurate throughout the entire range, I'm very happy.

Yes the module is permanently installed sort of speak. It's just connector to ECU via the termination plug. Literally plug and play.

For fuel you must tell the app how much fuel is onboard, then it does all the rest. I found it extremely accurate.

Comment

Another nice find! I have to stop reading BOC because it's costing me $! Like Jon, I need to get one of these for my 4.3L MPI.

The last time out, my RPM's were reading way higher than usual. I convinced myself at the time that it was weather related conditions just making the engine work harder, but I wasn't really convinced all that much and still have that feeling in my gut something isn't right. After reading this, I'm wondering if something isn't amiss with the RPM gauge. (Just had to have the trim gauge sending unit replaced since it wasn't working right either.)
            Rick
            "Our Dream" -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

Comment

"rgs2horses" post=817967 wrote:
              See thread on Vessel View Mobile
              Thanks for the reminder. Just did a Google Advanced search of BOC. There are a couple threads on the topic that I missed completely.
              Rick

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

Comment

Hi

Will this work on a 2011 model Bayliner 175?

Thanks

Comment

FAQ - Which Mercury engines are compatible with the VesselView Mobile module?

Answer - Any 2003 and newer, 40 HP and above Mercury outboard or MerCruiser sterndrive / inboard engine compatible with SmartCraft. Please visit your local Mercury dealer if you have questions on your engine's compatibility.

Comment

"WesleyCD" post=821481 wrote:
                    Hi

Thanks
                    As stated it should work with your 2011, but if your unsure call Mercury with your serial number of your engine and they will confirm it.
                    2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
                    Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
                    Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
                    Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
                    1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

"Waterdowg" post=821538 wrote:
                      "WesleyCD" post=821481 wrote:
                      Hi

Thanks
                      As stated it should work with your 2011, but if your unsure call Mercury with your serial number of your engine and they will confirm it.
                      As Waterdowg states, with the serial number Mercury can confirm. I am certain my 2015 engine has SmartCraft technology, but to just to confirm I used the online/email support form; sent my request at 9pm last night, got confirmation at 835am this morning.

Here's the link (I got this from another BOC thread on this topic): https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...mer-assistance
                      Rick

Comment

So, I got the VesselView Module; sent a photo of where I thought it should connect to Mercruiser customer service. They sent back some instructions with photos that seemed to confirm I had located the right Terminator. However, today when I removed the yellow cap, what was underneath didn't look as expected and certainly won't connect to the Module's wiring harness. I am certain my tach is not working right. I started the engine today; low idle, but it read 5K rpm. Settled down after a couple minutes to 1800, then bounced up to 4000, then down to 1000, back to 1200. I never noticed this before. Photos attached of where I thought it would connect on the engine.

Attached files

Rick

Comment

Have you contacted Mercury on what you should do? Its interesting to see this issue.
                          2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
                          Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
                          Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
                          Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
                          1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

"Waterdowg" post=824325 wrote:
                            Have you contacted Mercury on what you should do? Its interesting to see this issue.
                            No, I haven't. But I'm certain it's a tach problem since she ran great over the weekend exactly at the rpm's expected - idle, cruising, and planing. I'll be sending the pics to Mercury to see if they can advise further on the module install.
                            Rick

Comment

Got the VesselView Module installed today. Went down to the boat; started the engine and the tach immediately acted odd again - spiking to 5k rpm at idle and then settling down to 1000 at idle. Shut her back down and installed the module. After some fidgeting around with Bluetooth, got the connection with the app. Started the engine again, tach read 600-800 at idle this time. VesselView said 550. Perfect. Revved the engine in neutral and the tach and Module stayed in synch, rpm's all normal. Pretty sure the tach is acting silly. Something to further diagnose.

Here's some photos of the install.

Connectors/terminator under the flame arrestor cover. Harness runs to back of engine compartment and module zip-tied to wiring running along back. As in my previous post, I was confused about the terminator connections; sent photos to Mercruiser - they were fantastic, answering within hours with detailed instructions and photos. Like I said, Bluetooth connectivity was a bit wacky, but it worked out.

Attached files

Rick

Comment

Your one picture showing what's under the yellow connector appears to me that you simply popped the yellow cap off and not the actual connector itself.

But anyways it now looks like you have it figured out.

Comment

Working...
                                X