Trim Tabs Bennet vs. Nauticus-gctid817740

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trim Tabs Bennet vs. Nauticus-gctid817740

I'm looking to purchased trim tabs for my boat. I decided to purchase Smart tabs after discussing my usages with both manufactures. I'm tossed between the two. They are both with in few dollars of each other but not sure which are better or are they both the same. I would like opinions and person experiences with either. I don't know much about trim tabs so they only difference I can see it plastic vs. metal. The item numbers that were recommended for me to purchase are Bennett SLT10 which measure 10"x10". The other is Nauticus SX9510-80 which measure 9.5"x10" with 80lb actuators.
    2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
    Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
    Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
    Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
    1992 Johnson 40HP.

Bennet after sale support is outstanding. I know nothing about Nauticus.
    Jim McNeely
    New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
    Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
    Brighton, Michigan USA
    MMSI # 367393410

Comment

I have no experience with Nauticus. I have had three boats with Bennett and have never had an issue. Also we at BOC are fortunate in that we have our own in house Bennett service advisor, which actually would be a selling point for me.

Yep that is a plug for Tabman.

Regards Dave

Comment

I can't comment on the Bennett trim tabs but I have had three seasons using the Nauticus ones without any issues.

Tom

Comment

Thank you for the opinions so far. The boat will only be used in a fresh water lake. I'm looking to solve plane time, porpoising issues, and the ability to plane at slower speeds. I do plan to install a 4 blade prop to help with some of those but really to fix prop wash in sharp turns.

Evinrude 88 Special

1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

I have Nauticus with #40 actuators , middle adjustment hole. I have mixed feelings about them. If all I did was boat to cruising speed , I think they are great. I do have a tendency to open up the throttle. I have found with mid adjustment at top end the boat titters like its on the edge of control., plus it cuts down on the top end. If I adjust to the least pressure adjustment hole., it eliminates that problem but the bow comes up on the hole shot .So for me, what is the need. I often wonder what all the raving is about that I hear other boaters speak of when they talk about these products.
            Jay Myers
            Raystown Lake Huntingdon PA
            2013 170 115fs
            2011 Jeep Compass

Comment

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them for you.

One thing worth noting, Bennett Self Leveling Trim Tabs (SLT) have a lifetime warranty on their actuators.

Tom McGow

Bennett Marine
              sigpic"Like" Bennett Marine on Facebook

Comment

Thank you, that a good point. Since these are metal do I need to install anodes for fresh lake water?

Evinrude 88 Special

1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

I have the Nauticus with 40# actuators, 3rd hole (normal position). Haven't tried the Bennett's. Very pleased with them for the most part. The tabs very clearly cut way back on bow rise. Getting on plane is almost instantaneous with a light load, and much faster even with a boat full of people. Very easy to install -- took about 60 min going very slowly and deliberately (lots of online videos that are helpful). They do seem to cut down on the top-end speed, but that is likely an adjustment issue (I've not yet tried other hole positions, but intend to back off on the down pressure a bit). The boat has very minimal porpoising now, and is far more capable of making high speed turns without keeling way over or digging in like it did before -- it just seems to skim across the surface far better. For me the best improvement was in low speed bow wander. Our approach to the dock is in shallow water for about 150-200 ft, typically only 24-28" deep. Without the tabs, when we'd trim the engine up, the direction was almost uncontrollable and we'd usually end up stopping the motor and pulling it in the last 50-100 ft. With the tabs, we can drive right up to the dock no problem with the motor in the full up position and even turn the boat around. That was absolutely impossible before installing the tabs. Well worth the $ and small amount of time spent installing them. I've not had to contact their service, but after inquiring about trim tabs online, I was contacted by Nauticus to see if I had any questions (in a very non-pushy way), which I felt was very proactive. I'd already placed an order through Amazon, but they sent me the special clevis for the Bayliner 175 by mail gratis.
                  Lake Memphremagog, Newport, VT
                  2015 Bayliner 175 BR
                  Mercruiser 135/3.0 MPI Alpha One

Comment

"Waterdowg" post=817862 wrote:
                    Thank you, that a good point. Since these are metal do I need to install anodes for fresh lake water?
                    If the boat is kept in saltwater zinc anodes should be installed. My rule of thumb is if the boat is kept in the water long enough to require bottom paint zincs should be installed.

Tom

Bennett Marine

Comment

"Tabman" post=817864 wrote:
                      "Waterdowg" post=817862 wrote:
                      If the boat is kept in saltwater zinc anodes should be installed. My rule of thumb is if the boat is kept in the water long enough to require bottom paint zincs should be installed.

Tom

Bennett Marine
                      Thank you. I only leave the boat in the water about 4 or 5 months a year and have no need for bottom paint.

Evinrude 88 Special

1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

Hey Tabman,

Can you provide the differences between the 2 makes? Other than the obvious, one for lack of a better word, plastic, the other metal, is one suited better for a specific type, size, hull, powered boat? Advantage I would think in durability would go to Bennet simply out of construction material. Do the Bennet tabs come in painted colors? I.e. black/white.

Currently I have the Smart Tabs and am happy with them. If after some time, however if I were to make a switch to Bennet, is the mounting bracket compatible in any way? Just thinking about the nice sealing job I did with the 5200....

By the way, I do follow ALL of your posts/responses and truly appreciate your "professional" inputs without being a "basher". A sign of a true professional...nice to see as you don't see it often enough...old coach used to say to us....."Respect every man, FEAR NO MAN" you can be a class act and still be a competitor that has stuck with me thru the years into my personal life in sales...

Attached files

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
                        2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                        1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                        1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
                        1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                        1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                        1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                        1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

"Tabman" post=817860 wrote:
                          If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them for you.

One thing worth noting, Bennett Self Leveling Trim Tabs (SLT) have a lifetime warranty on their actuators.

Tom McGow

Bennett Marine
                          This post says it all.
                          Jeff & Tara
                          (And Ginger too)
                          Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                          "Sea Ya"
                          Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I believe nauticus also has lifetime on actuators..
                            Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
                            2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                            1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                            1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
                            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

"RobMick" post=818260 wrote:
                              Hey Tabman,

Can you provide the differences between the 2 makes? Other than the obvious, one for lack of a better word, plastic, the other metal, is one suited better for a specific type, size, hull, powered boat? Advantage I would think in durability would go to Bennet simply out of construction material. Do the Bennet tabs come in painted colors? I.e. black/white.

Currently I have the Smart Tabs and am happy with them. If after some time, however if I were to make a switch to Bennet, is the mounting bracket compatible in any way? Just thinking about the nice sealing job I did with the 5200....

By the way, I do follow ALL of your posts/responses and truly appreciate your "professional" inputs without being a "basher". A sign of a true professional...nice to see as you don't see it often enough...old coach used to say to us....."Respect every man, FEAR NO MAN" you can be a class act and still be a competitor that has stuck with me thru the years into my personal life in sales... [attachment]39296 wrote:
                              IMG_2305.JPG[/attachment] [attachment]39295 wrote:
                              IMG_2306.JPG[/attachment]
                              I just went to check out the Smart Tab warranty and it's two years for the gas actuators and rubber boots vs lifetime for the Bennett actuators.

In a nutshell the Bennetts are much more robust than the Nauticus units.

As Henry Ford once said you can have them in any color you like as long as it's black. No painting so black actuators and stainless Tabs. No paint to wear off or fade!

The interlocking Bennett hinges for the Tabs are not only super strong they do not allow any spray like a pinned hinge can.

Basically we took everything we learned from 60 years of making Trim Tabs and put it into the SLTs.

But there is no commonality between Bennett and Nauticus, so swapping them out would mean filling and drilling for all the mountings.

Plus we like to think our service is pretty good

Tom

Bennett Marine

Comment

Working...
                              X